PDA

View Full Version : Do i got into work?

Sony Ericsson
21-06-2006, 05:04
I work in a major supermarket and my hours are from 6am till 11am. I mainly serve customers, stock up the chiller and sort the newspapers out.

Last week I was off with diarrhea and sickness. I returned yesterday but during the day I ended up with a really sore throat. stiff neck and a high tempreture. I find it very hard to swallow and it hurts somewhat when I talk to.

Would you go in if you was ill?

I need to go docs but I am worried about work and losing my job :(

What to do?

Nidge
21-06-2006, 05:14
Go in and show willing, if your supervisor has anything about them he or she will send you home.

Sony Ericsson
21-06-2006, 05:17
Go in and show willing, if your supervisor has anything about them he or she will send you home.

Thing is she will not. I am in and out of chillers my entire shift. Might make it worse.

Nidge
21-06-2006, 05:24
I'm going to be honest here, if your ill your best sweating it out of you, when I was down the mines we used to work in 150 degree heat, if you had any kind of illness you used to sweat it out within an hour. Like I said go in and show willing but tell you suprvisor when you go in you still don't feel right, they can't sack you for being ill.

__spc__
21-06-2006, 06:15
I work in a major supermarket and my hours are from 6am till 11am. I mainly serve customers, stock up the chiller and sort the newspapers out.

Last week I was off with diarrhea and sickness. I returned yesterday but during the day I ended up with a really sore throat. stiff neck and a high tempreture. I find it very hard to swallow and it hurts somewhat when I talk to.

Would you go in if you was ill?

I need to go docs but I am worried about work and losing my job :(

What to do?

Asa manager, I wouldn't thank you for coming in and passing your illness on to the rest of my team. You should be able to get an appointment after 11am. Failing that, go to your nearest walk-in clinic.

Slyder
21-06-2006, 07:05
This is always a worrying thought. I work over at Transco and had a review not so long ago. I was ill 2 times within a year (an 11 month gap may I add) both instances were just for 1 day. I have to go 1 year now without being ill again or I will go on stage 1 review. :rolleyes: Even if I go in and get sent home thats classed as being ill (rightly so I guess) Its just a shame theres no give and take now at work. Most employers think people are taking the micky without a doctors note. They seem to forget we can self cert for a day at most places (not sure if this is law everywhere else)

I would advise you go, purely because I know my place can be strict - so if you show willing then at least your covered. Its a shame workers cant afford to be ill these days.

aliferste
21-06-2006, 07:18
My philospophy is...if you are ill your are ill and cant go into work. Go to the docs and get a sick line.

zing_deleted
21-06-2006, 08:15
To late now im sure you have made your desision but id go sick theres plenty of supermarket jobs about anyway :)

Chris
21-06-2006, 09:26
Asa manager, I wouldn't thank you for coming in and passing your illness on to the rest of my team. You should be able to get an appointment after 11am. Failing that, go to your nearest walk-in clinic.

In which case you are one of a small (but thankfully growing) breed of enlightened managers who know there is more to productivity than long hours at any cost.

Sadly, it sounds like Sony's manager is not like you. :(

gaffer_gump
21-06-2006, 09:31
I am of the opinion that if you have to ask the question then your alright, you know in yourself if your just testing the water so to speak.... go on shooo get to work.. :p:

brundles
21-06-2006, 10:03
This is always a worrying thought. I work over at Transco and had a review not so long ago. I was ill 2 times within a year (an 11 month gap may I add) both instances were just for 1 day. I have to go 1 year now without being ill again or I will go on stage 1 review. :rolleyes: Even if I go in and get sent home thats classed as being ill (rightly so I guess) Its just a shame theres no give and take now at work. Most employers think people are taking the micky without a doctors note. They seem to forget we can self cert for a day at most places (not sure if this is law everywhere else)

I would advise you go, purely because I know my place can be strict - so if you show willing then at least your covered. Its a shame workers cant afford to be ill these days.

Another employer that would rather infect more workers and prolong your illness period rather than just let you have the single day off ill!

I know some people to take the proverbial, but for those that don't it becomes extremely counter productive enforceing rules like that.

PWS
21-06-2006, 10:26
Is it me?
i would ask my doctor before a forum lol

if you dont feel well then dont fo in :)

Sony Ericsson
21-06-2006, 10:46
My job is at Sainsburys and last week i had 2 days off due to diarrhea and being sick. I said I would be back on Monday but on Monday morning at 3:49am my gf was rushed into hospital. Being 8 months pregnant kind of worried us. As she was rushed into hospital i forgot to grab my wallet.

I gave my sister a text as i get free text messages but about had about 4p credit. I asked if she could ring work for me and let them know about whats going on. At 6am she rang them for me and they basically said he has to ring himself. After she told me this I thought ok I will when I get home. When I did get home I rang work to let them know I would be in on Tuesday. They said its procedure to ring myself. I explained I had no money and no credit and I thought it would be better for them to know about me not coming in from my sister then not at all. They said if i had been entitled to SSP I would not of got it as I did not ring myself.

They are classing my sickness and GF into hospital as 2 different absences and on the third time within the same 6 months I could be given a verbal.

I do have another job on the evenings so if I lost this one I would still be getting a income. But I cant believe companies are now giving out warnings for being ill or a loving BF. They should ask at the start of the interview when you apply. Are you planning on being ill in the next 12 months. Anyway I have a Docs appointment at 11am.

Stuart
21-06-2006, 10:54
But I cant believe companies are now giving out warnings for being ill or a loving BF. They should ask at the start of the interview when you apply. Are you planning on being ill in the next 12 months. Anyway I have a Docs appointment at 11am.

Having worked for Sainsburys, I can well believe they would pull a stunt like that.. Awful company to work for.

Chris
21-06-2006, 10:57
Having worked for Sainsburys, I can well believe they would pull a stunt like that.. Awful company to work for.

Legally dubious as well, so far as I can see.

brundles
21-06-2006, 10:59
They said if i had been entitled to SSP I would not of got it as I did not ring myself.
I think they might have trouble if they ever tried enforcing that. To be honest I think the store manager needs a big dose of reality (a damn good slap would suffice :p: ) - a shift at Sainsburies certainly does not come before a hospital emergency!

As Stuart says, I've heard nothing good from anyone who has ever worked for them.

Edit: Re-reading your original post, isn't there something health and safety related about working around food (I assume that's what you're doing in the chiller!) whilst being ill?

Nugget
21-06-2006, 11:09
Legally dubious as well, so far as I can see.

I like the fact that they reckon SSP wouldn't be paid if you don't ring yourself :dozey: - you'd have a good legal case for loss of earnings if nothing else, 'cos their lack of action would leave you out of pocket...

---------- Post added at 11:09 ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 ----------

Edit: Re-reading your original post, isn't there something health and safety related about working around food (I assume that's what you're doing in the chiller!) whilst being ill?

In fairness, if they wanted to argue the toss, the chillers are meant to function at temperatures that (at least) would inhibit bacterial growth. Whether they actually do is another question entirely.

It would depend on whether Sony was a food handler (working on the deli counter or whatever) although, to be honest, I'd just get the manager to check his responsibilities - if there was a major food poisoning outbreak as a result of making a member of staff work after being advised about sickness and diarrhoea, he should, IMO, lose his job :shrug: