PDA

View Full Version : What's going on now?!

MFKR78
20-06-2006, 10:58
This is a puzzling thing which seems to be connected to my broadband connection, I just want to know what it could be.

A couple of weeks or so ago I lost my broadband connection which was around the same time the bloke on the phone told me he was sending a hit to my STB (when I enquired about the speed upgrade) now not only had it knocked off my connection altogether but I found my PC on the blue screen critical error or whatever you call it. I asked the tech support about this when trying to get my connection back and he denied that it would be anything to do with NTL (we also got my connection back while on the phone)

Thought nothing more of it until last night when watching tv and having the PC downloading in the background. Suddenly my STB goes off, as does the other 2 in the house. I then notice there's no interactive signal so I knew it was one of those faults, and sure enough the broadband has gone too as everything on here grinds to a halt. Now the next weird thing, I leave my PC running and after a little while I get a sudden blue screen serious error again. So I reboot because I think I'll mess about with a PC game or do something offline on my PC, 10 minutes in another blue screen serious error. I do the same thing again and yep you guessed it, after 5 or 10 minutes I get another one.

It was at this point that I gave in, one out of frustration and one because I'm scared of doing any damage to my PC or files etc. So can someone tell me what the hell is going on?? It has to involve NTL seeing as both times have been when my connection has gone off for one reason or another, and the PC has been fine at all other times and is fine again now this morning since the connection came back at some point in the night. I'm not happy about this seeing as I couldn't even do anything on my PC offline without it crashing to blue screen and me panicking about something major happening.

Any help would be appreciated.

mpellatt
20-06-2006, 11:23
STB and internet going off together is simply loss of signal from ntl:

Is your PC connected via USB or Ethernet ?? If the latter, then ntl: dieing could quite easily cause a BSOD, the USB connection being much less reliable than Ethernet.

MFKR78
20-06-2006, 11:32
Yeah I knew about the signal it's just the rest with the comp that bothered/annoyed me.

It is indeed USB from the STB that I have for broadband. Do you know what it would be that would cause such an error? What's happening exactly, are they sending something down the line? When I say that I don't mean something bad I mean are they trying to send a hit or something which is causing my comp to crash? I don't really understand why it would happen.

mpellatt
20-06-2006, 11:48
AIUI, it's not that they're sending anything "bad" down the line, but that the USB connection method is unstable.

Never investigated it, as the solution for me and anyone I advise is "switch to ethernet".

MFKR78
20-06-2006, 19:20
All services went again 2 hours ago and yet again my comp crashed to the blue screen critical error status.

This never used to happen, even when NTL was playing up before, so why am I now having my PC go up the wall every time the service goes?

popper
20-06-2006, 19:50
it looks like your USB and perhaps your OS install has become semi corrupted, if your able to clean out your registry that may help, but if your not happy doing tech stuff then your better off trying to find your local tech and have them instruct you or sort it for you.

whats the BOD discription your getting?, that may help narrow it down a little.

have you installed some new apps around the same time this started happening ?, if so what, but thats just the begining and people will just tell you to re-installed windows.

if its a hardware fault you could test that with any linux livecd, but it probably isnt a hardware fault TBO.

MFKR78
20-06-2006, 20:11
Hmm if I use a registry cleaner will that maybe help?

To be honest there's no way I'm even considering reinstalling windows! What's the BOD you mean btw?

Richy99
22-06-2006, 13:06
he means BSOD - blue screen of death
if your os is corupt ther eisnt alot to do apart from reinstall windows, you dont have to format, you can doa reinstall over the top and get it to replace files, im assuming it is XP ?
also try reinstalling the usb drivers for your motherboard