PDA

View Full Version : London to Brighton Bike Ride.

Creative
19-06-2006, 20:24
Yesterday I was one of 27,000 people who did the London to Brighton bike ride. I found it bl**dy hard!
For those who don't know, its a 54 mile trip from Clapham Common to Brighton seafront, including Ditchling Beacon. Ditchling Beacon is the third highest point to cross the Sussex Downs, its a very steep hill for approx a mile and a quarter which most including me walk up. It unfortunately comes at the 48mile point of the journey. I was stopping every 50 metres or so whilst walking up it. The only good thing is once you are at the top, its downhill or flat all the way to Brighton seafront!

To any one else who did it, well done, does everything hurt on you too? :o:

PS Anyone want to buy a bike, I don't want to ever sit on it again. ;)

Hugh
19-06-2006, 20:32
Well done!!!

My brother-in-law did it last year - it stopped hurting within a couple of weeks.;)

bob_a_builder
19-06-2006, 21:20
Its been going a while, I did it 2 or 3 times about 20 years ago. Never gets much coverage in the media though.

Ditching is one heck of a hill, sorts the men from the boys, and for the record I walked up it everytime !

Nice sense of achivement once on Brighton sea front though

Halcyon
19-06-2006, 21:48
Sounds like it must have been hard work, but very much worth it in the end.
Well done :tu:

Creative
19-06-2006, 22:03
Sounds like it must have been hard work, but very much worth it in the end.
Well done :tu:

The only good thing about the end, was it was the end!:)
Traffic around Brighton was crazy, so I arranged for my girlfriend to pick me up outside the train station. That was another 2 miles! Some up hill, which by that point I had to walk up:(
Not sure how much I raised for the British Heart Foundation (the organiser) but hopefully around 200quid.

jrhnewark
20-06-2006, 04:01
Great achievement! :)

I've heard of this before... maybe I'll have to try and get a new bike for next year. :D