PDA

View Full Version : iPod

ic14
04-12-2003, 22:39
So whos got one of these?

What arethey like? Im getting one soon and i want to be sure ive made the right choice
edit just noticed theres already a thread about them, old thread though.....

Flubflow
04-12-2003, 22:41
I suggest you watch this movie first.....

http://ipodsdirtysecret.com/

Edit: a cure is available at........
http://www.ipodbattery.com/

gary_580
04-12-2003, 23:10
just a personal view, but i prefer the 512mb solid state players. Lighters, battery lasts longer, smaller and hold about 20 CD's in WMA format

Stuart
04-12-2003, 23:11
After you watch the movie, read this: http://ipodsdirtysecret.com/message.html

Chris
04-12-2003, 23:24
Odd, my first generation iPod held a charge for my entire 5-hour rail journey from Watford to Glasgow, plus more than enough music for the journey, without any problems at all. It's now 2 years old and still going strong.

These guys must've had a duff model.

The iPod is a beautiful piece of kit and I'd recommend one to anyone. It's even been handy as a temporary external HDD for me, clearing space off my regular disk while I was editing a video project.

EDIT

Very funny movie tho' :rofl:

Flubflow
04-12-2003, 23:46
Odd, my first generation iPod held a charge for my entire 5-hour rail journey from Watford to Glasgow, plus more than enough music for the journey, without any problems at all. It's now 2 years old and still going strong.

The iPod is a beautiful piece of kit and I'd recommend one to anyone. It's even been handy as a temporary external HDD for me, clearing space off my regular disk while I was editing a video project.

EDIT

Very funny movie tho' :rofl:

I like Apple but I would never buy such an expensive device that has an irreplaceable or hideously expensive battery.

Stuart
05-12-2003, 00:24

Having worked with various kinds of rechargable batteries,I have found there are several factors that affect their lifespan. Temperature and how long you spend charging them are two. Obviously you can also get the odd faulty battery.

That brings to mind what (IMO) is the only real problem with the iPod, and the reason I won't buy one. The battery can only be replaced by Apple. It would be relatively simple for Apple to re-design the iPod so the user can replace the battery, but they haven't.

Flubflow
05-12-2003, 00:31
It's not just the battery cost issue (which is bad enough) but the fact that it seems to be have been designed from the outset as a throwaway device (a pretty expensive throwaway too). I hate that.

ic14
05-12-2003, 15:00
well that was a 1st gen model that they wjere tallking about
The ipod is now on to a 3rd gen model which is the one im getting.

(hmm how long should it take to arrive from apple, im getting inpatient!!)

Chris
05-12-2003, 15:09
(hmm how long should it take to arrive from apple, im getting inpatient!!)
Dunno, is there not a John Lewis department store anywhere near you? They normally have them in stock. Too late for that now I guess.

ic14
05-12-2003, 15:17
Dunno, is there not a John Lewis department store anywhere near you? They normally have them in stock. Too late for that now I guess.It shipped on the 3rd from the apple store, last thin i got from them (ms office x student and teacher edition) came in about 2 days. Guess they use a different company for hardware.

Chris
05-12-2003, 15:22
It shipped on the 3rd from the apple store, last thin i got from them (ms office x student and teacher edition) came in about 2 days. Guess they use a different company for hardware.
Given the value of the shipment, I'd keep a close eye on it if I were you ... see if you can find out who the carrier is and whether you can track the package through their system.

ic14
05-12-2003, 17:23
Given the value of the shipment, I'd keep a close eye on it if I were you ... see if you can find out who the carrier is and whether you can track the package through their system.hmm the email doesnt say, but on the apple store it says allow 8 days... if it hasnt come by then ill have to find out.

Jerrek
05-12-2003, 17:55
Best player available. My brother has the 30 GB one and the batteries last about 8 hours.

ic14
09-12-2003, 19:35
It came ^_^

My dad let me have a quick look, its tiny, lol.

Cant wait till xmas....

Bugblatter
09-12-2003, 23:22
It came ^_^

My dad let me have a quick look, its tiny, lol.

Cant wait till xmas....

I bought a 10gig one a few weeks ago. It is superb. :smokin: