PDA

View Full Version : nameserver update

kfridge
18-06-2006, 17:55
Hi,

Just a quick question...how often are NTL's caches updated? I ask because I had to update the nameserver entries for a domain I have and I am now struggling to access my email (sending and recieving) and the domain (plus the sub domains attached to it). The namserver entries were updated over a week ago.

I have been over to my parents today who use Virgin as an ISP and had no problem accessing email or the domain(s) using their connection when I tested (using the laptop I use at home but their wireless connection)...

Just as an aside, I don't actually have any of NTL's proxies addresses manually entered into my laptop or smoothwall firewall...

Paul
18-06-2006, 18:00
DNS servers update themselves, that's how they work, there is no set period, it depends on the TTL settings for the dns entries themselves.

kfridge
18-06-2006, 18:11
thats how i though it worked...seems strange how i had no problem accessing any of my sites or email over at my mums though...guess i should just wait a few more days for the changes to properly propagate round...

Paul
18-06-2006, 18:25
TBH, it's more likely to be stale pages in the proxy server, try a CTRL-F5.

kfridge
18-06-2006, 18:28
done that loads of times!

just as a check see if you can access the following site:
www.conquest-reunion.co.uk

this is one of the sites i cannot currently access on NTL but had no problem accessing on my mums connection...

Paul K
18-06-2006, 18:30
Have you tried specifying a proxy?

gaffer_gump
18-06-2006, 18:32
done that loads of times!

just as a check see if you can access the following site:
www.conquest-reunion.co.uk (http://www.conquest-reunion.co.uk)

this is one of the sites i cannot currently access on NTL but had no problem accessing on my mums connection...

No probs for me.

kfridge
18-06-2006, 18:42
No probs for me.

thanks for that...can i ask what proxy server you are using...i currently have hudd-8 entered into my smoothwall for the remote proxy

homealone
18-06-2006, 19:27
no problem for me, either - I haven't got a explicit proxy set, but default to Nottingham as the 'transparent' proxy.

Hugh
18-06-2006, 21:20
fine in leeds

Rik
18-06-2006, 21:40
Fine in Hemel Hempstead and im using "hers-cache-4.server.ntli.net" because its nice and fast for me :)

gaffer_gump
18-06-2006, 21:58
thanks for that...can i ask what proxy server you are using...i currently have hudd-8 entered into my smoothwall for the remote proxy

manc-cache-7.server.ntli.net

On firefox running the proxies through SwitchProxy Tool 1.4