PDA

View Full Version : How can I bar a call?

euclideanspace
18-06-2006, 17:36
Does anyone know how I can bar a caller? I can't find any instructions on the NTL site.

marky
18-06-2006, 17:52
I dont think you can bar one caller sorry.
If its a problem you could report the number :shrug:

Jules
18-06-2006, 18:09
As Marky says I don't think you can bar a single number but NTL will be able to help you out if you are having problems

euclideanspace
18-06-2006, 18:14
Marky/Jules

Thanks.

Looks like I will have to change my number with NTL, any idea on how much it will cost? I keep getting the same company calling every day even on Sundays I always know its them as when you pick up the phone it is silent for a while and then someone speaks.

Chimaera
18-06-2006, 18:23
Have you registered with the Telephone Preference Service? That way companies are barred from calling you. You can sign up here. (www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/) I've not had any 'nuisance' calls since we signed up - and we don't accept calls from with held numbers either - that cuts out a lot of them. ;)

Timeless Stew
18-06-2006, 18:27
What they are doing it's illegal. Read

http://www.users.waitrose.com/~SilentCalls/

--Report it to NTL.
--register with TPS (Chimaera was first)

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

--register with silentguard

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/news2.html

Paul K
18-06-2006, 18:33
Get the company name as silent calls are not allowed, when answer their must be somebody ready to talk to the customer within X seconds. If a CS rep is not ready then the call should not be made. Get the name of the company and report it for silent calling and then the company will have to adjust it's diallers or face a massive fine.

Wicked_and_Crazy
18-06-2006, 19:30
Get the company name as silent calls are not allowed, when answer their must be somebody ready to talk to the customer within X seconds. If a CS rep is not ready then the call should not be made. Get the name of the company and report it for silent calling and then the company will have to adjust it's diallers or face a massive fine.

Not quite true AFAIK, predictive dailing on an outbound call centre can cause silent calls. The idea is that they predict when the next call centre operator will be available and the predictive dialler is trying to get a live call prepared ready. If its badly managed you will get a silent period and then someone will speak. If its managed well the call will be chopped hopefully before you answer or when you answer there will be a call centre operator on the call at the same time as you. AT the end of the day, it doenst mater how well its managed there will still be silent calls, however i agree that this should not be the norm.

marky
18-06-2006, 19:35
We get a lot sourced outside the UK, and theres naff they can do :(

Paul K
18-06-2006, 19:57
Not quite true AFAIK, predictive dailing on an outbound call centre can cause silent calls. The idea is that they predict when the next call centre operator will be available and the predictive dialler is trying to get a live call prepared ready.
That's right BUT a lot of call centers ramp up the numbers per minute that the computer dials, this can lead to silent calls, too many silent calls and you can be in trouble with the regulator. Even BT got into trouble for that due to someone getting overzealous ;)
They can close the call center dialler equipment for a period of time until the company can prove that they can run it correctly and within the guidelines. It only takes the person overseeing the settings for the dialler software to increase the dial rate too much and all hell breaks loose, obviously if the mistake is rectified quickly nobody gets into trouble but that requires staff to be on the ball and the company involved adhering to guidelines.

Wicked_and_Crazy
18-06-2006, 20:20
That's right BUT a lot of call centers ramp up the numbers per minute that the computer dials, this can lead to silent calls, too many silent calls and you can be in trouble with the regulator. Even BT got into trouble for that due to someone getting overzealous ;)
They can close the call center dialler equipment for a period of time until the company can prove that they can run it correctly and within the guidelines. It only takes the person overseeing the settings for the dialler software to increase the dial rate too much and all hell breaks loose, obviously if the mistake is rectified quickly nobody gets into trouble but that requires staff to be on the ball and the company involved adhering to guidelines.

Hamsters in wheels :D

Pinkypants
19-06-2006, 00:53
To answer the question:

If you havent already, get Anon Call Rejection on your phone. It should stop most withheld numbers getting through to you.

If you have registered with the TPS and still having the calls coming through, in the vast majority of cases, NTL can change you telephone number for free.

To change your number, call CS on 0845 454 0000 and go to Option 5.

Number changes usually go through within 24-48 hours.

I hope that helps and the best of luck :)

a good help
19-06-2006, 09:31
offtopic slightly, Im on BT, and with them you can bar whatever numbers you like, "CHOOSE TO REFUSE" is there option, 8.55 per quarter... dont know if NTL offer that ?

euclideanspace
19-06-2006, 17:02
Thanks all, looks like I will have to change my number in order to stop these calls. I signed up to the TPS some time ago, its just 1 company that keeps calling.