PDA

View Full Version : No connection since 2pm in Glasgow

jem16
17-06-2006, 22:06
My connection went down around 2pm. I have rebooted the CM but all I get is the receive light flashing constantly. Sync and ready lights both out.

Technical support have arranged for an engineer on Monday pm. Has anyone else had a problem in the Glasgow area - Renfrew UBR or is it just me?

ikthius
17-06-2006, 22:18
sorry jem,
just you I'm affraid. try putting your modem and computer off for 5 mins.

put the modem back on for 3 mins then reboot the computer, see if that works.

these times are not necissary, but I like to give it plenty of time.

ik

jem16
17-06-2006, 22:22
OK thanks. I'll leave the modem off for longer and try again. I doubt rebooting the PC will help as the modem isn't receiving anything at all. Only lights lit are the power and ethernet. Receive light just flashes. The ready light is never on.

ikthius
17-06-2006, 22:55
OK thanks. I'll leave the modem off for longer and try again. I doubt rebooting the PC will help as the modem isn't receiving anything at all. Only lights lit are the power and ethernet. Receive light just flashes. The ready light is never on.

just put the comp off too.

after a reboot of the modem, it might change your ip address and this gets picked up at boot.

ik

jem16
17-06-2006, 23:02
The modem wasn't getting as far as acquiring an IP address.

Strangely enough I tried my old cable modem(the Surfboard 3100 that I owned) and all its lights lit up but of course wouldn't give me a connection as its MAC address wouldn't be registered now. I asked technical support if they could change it over temporarily but no they couldn't, so they said.

So I plugged the new modem back in and hey presto everything jumped back to life again! Didn't need to reboot the PC.

Now I'm not sure whether to let the engineer come out and check everything out or not???

ikthius
17-06-2006, 23:04
see how it goes tonight and tomorrow, before you cancel the engineer.

ik

jem16
17-06-2006, 23:12
Thanks.

I think I'll wait and see how it goes too. Just before it all went haywire my speeds were very slow. I'm on 10mb but was getting less than 1mb. That was when I rebooted the CM to see if it would help - wouldn't work after that.

jem16
19-06-2006, 14:33
Well I decided to let the engineer come today anyway as this was the second outage in less than a month with the same symptoms. I also ran a few speed tests last night and this morning.

Last night my speed ranged from less than 1mb to at most 3mb. This morning they vary between 6mb and 10mb but averaging around 9mb.

He changed over a connection in the box in the street in case it had corroded. He then went to reboot the modem and exactly the same happened again - flashing receive light and nothing. He has now replaced the modem so it looks as if the modem has been faulty.

He gave me his mobile number in case of problems so that's good.