PDA

View Full Version : IP addresses

tucker61
16-06-2006, 22:56
A mate of mine in work has setup a web site where people can view a camera set up in his house.

He has assigned a ip address through his router but because ntl use dynamic addresses every morning when he wakes up the ip address has changed. Hoe can he get round this ???

Bill C
16-06-2006, 23:34
A mate of mine in work has setup a web site where people can view a camera set up in his house.

He has assigned a ip address through his router but because ntl use dynamic addresses every morning when he wakes up the ip address has changed. Hoe can he get round this ???

Try HERE (http://www.no-ip.com/services/managed_dns/free_dynamic_dns.html) and its free

Chris W
17-06-2006, 01:46
dyndns is a similar alternative to unlimited's suggestion

Paul
17-06-2006, 01:52
Is he on dial up then ?

Cable modem IP addresses rarely change, and certainly not every day.

idi banashapan
17-06-2006, 03:54
Is he on dial up then ?

Cable modem IP addresses rarely change, and certainly not every day.

maybe he powers off his modem. when the time comes to renew the IP lease, the modem is off, so cannot contact the DHCP to confirm it's wanting the IP address still.

At work at the moment, so can't check, but do the NTL modems lease for 24 hours. or is it a few days?

grubbymitts
17-06-2006, 07:12
I turn my PC and modem off every day and very rarely get a new IP.

Paul
17-06-2006, 08:31
I honestly don't understand why anyone would power off their modem every night.

RamJet
17-06-2006, 09:15
is there any reason why NTL wont give you a fixed IP address ?

I believe they could with the present set up simply say exclude some/a range of the addresses from the relevant DHCP server - then give a specific one of these addresses to a customer permanently

put this address in the settings and hey presto ?

for the money should we have an 'option' for getting a fixed IP address

ps can also see advantages for having a dynamic IP

RJ

Owen
17-06-2006, 10:39
There is an option for a static IP address.

It's called Business Broadband ;)

grubbymitts
17-06-2006, 11:02

I'm not downloading anything overnight, the pc doesn't need to be on so neither does the modem.

Chrysalis
17-06-2006, 11:51
leaving the modem on should solve the problem so now you have a need.

smiffer
17-06-2006, 17:48

just wondering why you wouldn't turn off your modem??? is it a bad thing to do as i turn mine off every night??? just asking in case it would be better to leave it on.

gaffer_gump
17-06-2006, 18:01
I turn the pc and all things flashing attached to it off when I go to work as imma out the house for 14hrs at a time so I don't see the point leaving it on, unless as already asked is it better to leave it on? :dozey:

Stu038
17-06-2006, 18:06
They draw next to no power so no problems there, provideing that you don't wrap them up in tea towels lace doillys or the like they don't over heat.

Thing to bear in mind though is cos they're relatively cheap so is the power supply. Switching that on and off is going to reduce its life, and while you may think that's not really your problem as you rent it all from ntl, it would be a bummer if it died on a Friday morning and ntl couldn't get out until the next Tuesday or Wednesday ;)

Chrysalis
17-06-2006, 20:01
Stu beat me to it, like all electrical goods power cycling is unhealthy for it.

Mine was always on also because my pc is on and I have it as always on connection and of course I hate losing ip address.

I will do the same with adsl when thats activated.

Toto
17-06-2006, 21:25

I do, ntl get enough of me cash without me giving more to the lecy board :)

grubbymitts
17-06-2006, 22:28
Thing to bear in mind though is cos they're relatively cheap so is the power supply. Switching that on and off is going to reduce its life, and while you may think that's not really your problem as you rent it all from ntl, it would be a bummer if it died on a Friday morning and ntl couldn't get out until the next Tuesday or Wednesday ;)

Hmm. What could you do if the net died for a few days?
Read a book? Make love? Go out and see the world? Talk to real people? Watch one of the thousands of "linux distros" you've downloaded over the past five years? Listen to music? Join a political party and change the world? Find a new job? Play with the kids? Write a story? Ride a bike?
The list is endless.

Three years of switching the power supply off hasn't done any damage to it yet...pfft...lights go out...oh shti! ;)

Stuart
17-06-2006, 22:35

Save electricity? Save Money? Save the Environment?

tucker61
18-06-2006, 13:48
Thanks for all the responses, I cannot answer them due to not seeing him until Monday at work. I will let you know what happens, or which option works best.