PDA

View Full Version : Ntl freedom Dialup Fault

suléac
16-06-2006, 21:40
On Tuesday 13th some ntl freedom customers of which I'm one, encountered a problem dialing up from 0808 9909877.
I have called the technical support team & customer services who have informed me that a fault in more than one exchange is causing the line to return "number can not be recognised" they told me that they cannot give a timeframe as to when the source of the fault will ever be traced and fixed.

In the meantime they have given me a temporary number:- 0800 5190100 inserting (1263,,) before the dialing code.
Indeed I have found that my outlook folders are inoperative as is ftp and SSL.
Every time I call for an update from ntl, they ply me with their sales dialogue pitch of "probably better to upgrade to broadband"

I have informed customer services that is it the intentions of ntl plc to unplug the analogue and force feed us the digital but they told me this is simply not true.

Who else has experienced this...probably only a few nowadays I know :geez:

Chris W
17-06-2006, 01:51
:welcome:

I haven't heard of this problem, but no doubt if other's are experiencing the same thing, they'll be along soon...

from what you have said though, it sounds like a BT issue- isn't freedom only available from BT lines? Presumably then the exchanges in question are BT exchanges.... hence ntl need to get BT to sort out the issue.

suléac
18-06-2006, 15:50
Indeed so, I had my line checked by BT to ascertain any underlying issue's and returned negative.

BT Wholesale's are responsible for the exchanges and by process of elimination deduced that my exchange is W Kensington (WRWKEN).

I also rang the faulty number from friends address's and returned an OK working line.
I'll inform ntl about the location first thing, many thanks.

James Henry
18-06-2006, 17:36
You shouldn't need to inform ntl of the fault, they should be aware that they have a 2Mbit circuit from West Kensington down and probably do. (0808 numbers are FRIACO - suppliers buy a set amount of 2Mbit circuits from each exchange or group of exchanges in a node and your calls are routed to them via these, 0800 numbers are not and the 1263 code is ntl's carrier preselect and goes down the standard BT network to an ntl interconnect).

Is ntl broadband available where you are? If it is get it, you'll save money.

suléac
18-06-2006, 22:57
Ntl have offered to install broadband at £15.00 per month, exactly the same as my freedom dialup package however that gives me the bonus of free £15.00 of call as well and the broadband does not, so I would be out of pocket.
I just found out I can't access my bank account because of the SSL issue.

Graham M
19-06-2006, 07:49
Talk to their retentions department, I'm sure they'd be able to sort you out a deal :)

James Henry
19-06-2006, 10:04
Ditch the ntl phone line, take their offer of broadband and take Vonage or another VoIP service if that sounds good. That'll save you a few pennies ;)

suléac
20-06-2006, 13:03
Talk to their retentions department, I'm sure they'd be able to sort you out a deal :)
They promised that they are on the case pronto, however nothing yet has been fixed.
I'm afraid as with many other customers I'm too, going to have to leave ntl.
If I can't do my online banking, I'm simply not getting a service.

tjfs
18-07-2006, 11:47
My mum's still on ntl freedom and it's been down for weeks (The number you are calling is not recognised...) so she's been using the emergency (no SSL/email) number.

ntl don't seem to want to sell her broadband as she's on a BT line although since the Telewest merger and Telewest buying Birmingham Cable I suppose she could have it from them. She has just found out she can get the Talktalk package so she should probably do that, but it takes months to order and she'll have to change her phone number.

Anyone know anything?

suléac
18-07-2006, 13:16
If you review earlier threads on this router issue, all is outlined and explained.
I'm on a BT line and ntl are only too happy to sell me BB at £14.99.

Talk Talk will connect me in three weeks time they said.