PDA

View Full Version : 169 ip address and MAC spoofing

wafer_style
16-06-2006, 15:55
My braodband is down for 2 days . I came to know that the ip address of my pc is 169.x.x.x , now i am using a cable modem , win xp as the OS on my PC and an usb conenction . I tried to check the ip taking the coax out of the modem and i found 192.x.x.x . ON putting the coax back and resetting the modem the ip address goes down to 169.x.x.x . I do not have an option to get it done via ethernet . I think that it's a case of duplicate mac addresses. Now the point is how can i go ahead and spoof the MAC ADDRESS on the usb port . As far as i am aware of the mac addess on the usb card is infact the mac address of the modem with the last digit being incremented by 1 . HELP.....

cheers,
wafer:rolleyes:

Stuart
16-06-2006, 16:26
wafer_style, :welcome: to the forum. I suspect you will need to call Faults to rectify the problem, as it sounds like either something has happened to your account, or the modem is on the way out.

wafer_style
16-06-2006, 18:02
well stuart , i know that changing the mac address will help me to get a valid ip address from the DHCP server . So i think if i try to install an enet card and get the right set of enet drivers i shall be able to get a valid ip.

shin0r
16-06-2006, 18:06
well stuart , i know that changing the mac address will help me to get a valid ip address from the DHCP server . So i think if i try to install an enet card and get the right set of enet drivers i shall be able to get a valid ip.

I think you're confused; do yourself (and us) a favour and log a fault with CS.

englishpaul
17-06-2006, 19:25

Your registered MAC address is that of your cablemodem/set top box, nothing to do with your ethernet card.

As previously mentioned, ring Tech Support 0871 225 1111.

HTH.

:)