PDA

View Full Version : Still seeing virus infection alert

paulvalyoung
04-12-2003, 20:07
Hi, I am still getting the "Virus Infection Alert" screen when I try to access the internet on dialup. Yes, I have installed the update. Yes, I have run the fixes for Blaster and Welchia - twice. I'm running W2000, with NAV and Zone Alarm. Am I missing something? What could be causing this? It's been going on for weeks!

Please help!

Paul

Peter
04-12-2003, 20:37
Can you post a screenshot of this "screen", please?

It doesn't sound like Blaster or Welchia.

rick
04-12-2003, 21:28
Hi, I am still getting the "Virus Infection Alert" screen when I try to access the internet on dialup. Yes, I have installed the update. Yes, I have run the fixes for Blaster and Welchia - twice. I'm running W2000, with NAV and Zone Alarm. Am I missing something? What could be causing this? It's been going on for weeks!

Please help!

PaulDoes windows 2000 come with system restore???Because if it does you are going to have to delete the system restore files..

Peter
04-12-2003, 21:33
Does windows 2000 come with system restore???Because if it does you are going to have to delete the system restore files..

Windows 2000 does not, but from what paulvalyoung said, what is your source for suggesting this be done to rectify the problem?

Sociable
04-12-2003, 21:38
Windows 2000 does not, but from what paulvalyoung said, what is your source for suggesting this be done to rectify the problem?

With XP systems a failure to turn off system restore results in re-infection at next boot. However as this is 2k not XP that shouldn't be an issue.

I suspect the problem is NTL now need to reset the account to reflect the new "Clean" status as I don't think this is automatic.

rick
04-12-2003, 21:38
Windows 2000 does not, but from what paulvalyoung said, what is your source for suggesting this be done to rectify the problem?As you know system restore can roll back your pc to a time which worked.Now if the virus has gotten into your system restore files the only way to go is to turn system restore off which deletes all files in there,so in effect rids the pc of any virus in there and having done that turn system restore back on

paulvalyoung
06-12-2003, 11:23
Hi,

Thanks for your replies so far. As requested, here is the screen that I'm re-directed to every time I try to access the internet using the ntl dial-up account. I don't think that W2K has system restore points, but I'll check this some more.

Any more ideas? I have done everything that this and the subsequent screens say I should do!

Paul

http://outbreak.ntli.net/

Sociable
06-12-2003, 11:51
Just a thought did you catually download the three files (patch and the two removal tools) from the NTL site or simply apply them from other locations?

I see that it "says" reconnection is automatic but that must be linked to having downloaded the files.

What i would suggest is repeat the whole process of downloading the three files. then go offline and turn off zone alarm and NAV while you apply the patch and run the two removal tools.

Only once all that is done try to re-connect to another trusted site perhaps msn.co.uk or similar and if all ok restart NAV and zone alarm.

If this fails to resolve the issue I think, as I said earlier, the only option will be to talk to NTL about having the status of your account reset manually.

Mr.Moony
06-12-2003, 13:41
Just a thought did you catually download the three files (patch and the two removal tools) from the NTL site or simply apply them from other locations?

I see that it "says" reconnection is automatic but that must be linked to having downloaded the files.

They come from other locations, they are just links. You will need to download these files no matter what. If you download them, 3 hours then passed and your still stuck there, you shall have to ring TS. They will put in a request to get you removed. They will look at your IP etc and make sure firstly you downloaded the patches and secondly there were no attacks from your IP in the time since you downloaded the patches

paulvalyoung
19-12-2003, 23:55
Hi,

Thanks for your comments. I had actually downloaded the files and run them from the hard drive. In the end, I took the suggestions here and rang TS (should've done it before, duh!). They agreed over the phone to sort it and it was fixed within an hour.

Problem solved!

Paul

Sociable
20-12-2003, 00:00
Cool glad it got sorted welcome back in time for Crimbo Paul. :)

Paul040367uk
30-10-2004, 21:01
I have been getting the welchia alert for ages, I am now using nortons internet security 2005, all my virus definations are up to date etc. Just phoned my isp, as nortons told me i was the attacker on my pc and that i was attacking my yahoo messenger program. The welchia is a worm so they say, I used the worm removal tool from symantec, after around ten minutes of the tool scanning it gave me the all clear

I don't have the welchia worm, nor any other know virus or varient.
it seems to me like nortons does not like yahoo, and that my pc is scanning ports by itself.

Weird stuff:Yikes:

homealone
30-10-2004, 21:08
hi Paul040367uk :welcome: to Cable Forum

- do you run any other 'nasty' finders like Adaware or Spybot, as well as NAV?