PDA

View Full Version : Apparent Persistent Server Resets

mcnew77
14-06-2006, 22:20
New phone/cable/broadband service installed 8 Jun06, NTL Pace Di4000T. From the first set-top box broadband connection, I have been dropped/reset every 15-30 seconds. Cannot complete email downloads, attach files, conduct web research - do anything practical.
Researched all trouble shooting - checked all connections, IP, DNS and DHCP settings, even reset the IP driver per their instructions. Simply no improvement. When I enquired through their site, I received the "canned" answers from the web site which I had indicated I had already exhausted, now I am exhausted.
All anti-spyware, anti-virus and firewalls have also been turned off and the connection retested - no improvement. It would seem to be on the network provider and/or equipment side, though I have received no actionable response/assistance.
Thoughts?

Chris W
15-06-2006, 00:04
:welcome:

any problems with the tv service or just t'internet?

Does the light on the set top box flash when the connection drops?

Try page up, page down, then blue when you are on a normal tv channel- should give you some diagnostic info. Any pre/ post RS errors? Anything interesting in the event log?

mcnew77
15-06-2006, 07:10
Chris,
Thanks for the prompt response. All challenges are limited to the broadband. The green light stays constantly lit when the connection is dropped.

In terms of diagnostics, the event log reflects 8 302 Post RS Errors
User information reflects Pre RS Errors: 1 per 0.5s, Post RS effors 1 per 0.5s

Having researched the Pace box, it is unclear what type broadband device is in the set top box, though this model looks to be a couple of years old. Perhaps in need of a firmware update?

Chris W
15-06-2006, 09:58
Hmm that many Post RS errors is not good- suggests a problem with the connection, a call to tech support is in order methinks :)

The STB contains a Cable Modem for broadband access, no need for a firmware update though :)

mcnew77
19-06-2006, 17:27
Learned that an important toggle for the billing portion of my account was not set properly, so the set top box never received a constant signal.

Took nearly two weeks to resolve through my own persistence, though they have credited the service for the time it hasn't worked.

Cheers -