PDA

View Full Version : newsgroups

wyngriff
14-06-2006, 20:53
Anyone haviing trouble with newsgroups using a subscription service and speeds are really bad

dilli-theclaw
14-06-2006, 20:59
Anyone haviing trouble with newsgroups using a subscription service and speeds are really badI just downloaded some stuff from easynews at full wack.

JonNuttNTL
14-06-2006, 21:17
Anyone haviing trouble with newsgroups using a subscription service and speeds are really bad

No probs here doing a newshosting/easynews/ntl download at full whack too.

Jon.

zing_deleted
14-06-2006, 21:32
no probs here with easynews or giganews and :welcome: to the forum

Are you NNTP? if so how many sim connections you running?

wyngriff
14-06-2006, 22:02
Thanks for replies everyone seems okay now, changed port to 7000 did use 8000 but that dosent connect at all using newsdemon and getting full speeds now thanks again

mills04
15-06-2006, 21:06
Anyone having problems with Newshosting tonight?. I'm using GrabIt and my downloading seems to keep dying in the evening, I have contacted them and they said there is nothing wrong at their end.

I don't know if its their fault and I should change providers or that NTL are doing something?

Edit: It seems to be working now, I downgraded to the previous GrabIt version and the graph is showing a steady 240kb/s. Getting annoyed how it keeps breaking aghh

grubbymitts
15-06-2006, 21:41
Newshosting was working fine for me. Try ports 3128, 7000, 8000 or 9000 if troubles occur

mills04
15-06-2006, 22:25
Newshosting was working fine for me. Try ports 3128, 7000, 8000 or 9000 if troubles occur

Thanks, I'll give that a try, I just got a reply back from support at newshosting, they suggested that it could be my ISP shaping traffic as its occuring at exactly the same time in the evening. NTL don't shape their traffic do they? - I didn't think they did but I could be wrong.

grubbymitts
16-06-2006, 06:28
Thanks, I'll give that a try, I just got a reply back from support at newshosting, they suggested that it could be my ISP shaping traffic as its occuring at exactly the same time in the evening. NTL don't shape their traffic do they? - I didn't think they did but I could be wrong.

No, NTL do not currently shape traffic, and it's doubtful they would shape Usenet traffic anyway as it is a small proportion of internet traffic. Your problem will be all the people who come online in the evening who are using Bit Torrent in your area and are maxing out their uploads because they don't know how to use BT properly, thus knackering up the bandwidth for everyone else. If any protocol is ever going to be shaped by NTL, it will probably be Bit Torrent (except for their joint trial of course)

zing_deleted
21-09-2006, 11:03
Bumping this thread basically to let the leeches like myself know that Giganews has increased its retention to 90 days binaries