PDA

View Full Version : Is this too good to be true?

nick84
14-06-2006, 12:19
Ive just got off the phone to NTL broadband technical support line, was speaking to a guy whose English wasnt the best but still he managed to solved my problem so thumbs up there.

Anyway my point is, at the end of the conversation, completley out of the blue, he asked me if I would like to be upgraded to the 10mb service free of charge (im currently on the 2mb/4mb service). Obviously I said yes, he put me on hold for 5 seconds and said that I would be upgraded in about a week!? Too good to be true or is this happening?

Also ive got the NTL 120 cable modem, i know its quite old, will this cause me problems?

Many thanks :)

zing_deleted
14-06-2006, 12:23
Ive heard a ickle rumour stating something vaguely about 10 meg becoming 24.99 in the future.Its unsubstantiated so dont ask who told me or where the info come from and treat it as a rumour

mini-moog
14-06-2006, 12:28
yes, i've heard all tiers will be 10 meg but i can't get my head around how it would work. billing to be usage based?

zing_deleted
14-06-2006, 12:31
Well originally all tiers were goin to be 10 meg with caps on all but top tier.This appears to be a new tale lol maybe its to compete with other firms :)

etccarmageddon
14-06-2006, 12:33
if it was the indian tech support team that sounds like bull as this kind of stuff I'd expect to hear from customer services not the clueless off shore call centre.

zing_deleted
14-06-2006, 12:36
I dunno when I called and did the im going to talk talk thing the guy who gave me my offers gave me 10 meg for half price for 3 months and said and I quote " call back at the end of this time and see what we are doing" so obviously they will be looking into ways of competing with other firms and dropping the 10 meg price is a good way of dealing with this.
No imo bandwidth costing money is utter turd but I do believe there can be contention issues so now we all know NTL have traffic shaping equipment set up and ready to go so why not? They have to compete to stay alive and they will I have no doubt about that

I also foresee this thread either being merged closed or running for thousands of pages with moans fights and all sorts ;)

nick84
14-06-2006, 13:07
Worth me ringing up again for comfirmation and to ask about my modem?

nick84
14-06-2006, 17:10
Wed, 14 Jun 2006 16:09:17 UTC
1st 128K took 110 ms = 1191564 Bytes/sec = approx 9914 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 109 ms = 1202495 Bytes/sec = approx 10005 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 109 ms = 1202495 Bytes/sec = approx 10005 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 110 ms = 1191564 Bytes/sec = approx 9914 kbits/sec

Thats on my old modem as well :) Thank you NTL :D

Pia
14-06-2006, 19:15
I spoke to someone from NTL once and she said all tiers would be upgraded within 6-8 months, so i asked another guy from retentions and he said it would most likely be longer than that but it is planned. Strange.

I'm meant to be on 4 meg but am only getting less than 1 meg speeds:cry:

DaggaDagga
14-06-2006, 20:23
Are you sure this wasn't a one-month trial, followed by a £35 per month bill, unless you cancel?

If he was so keen to offer it, there may be commission for him.

Sounds dodgy to me.

James Henry
14-06-2006, 21:02
Yay the guys in India can now dick about with your account....

All intensely suspicious to me, I really can't see why 'tech support' would be doing this, it's really none of their business to upsell you anything, or to give anything for free, they are there to provide support and until they can actually get that right I'd question why they are pimping new products...

Unless this is the new way for ntl tech support of course, forget the support just give the discounts ;)

Either way absolutely bizarre. I don't phone my ISP's technical support for them to offer me stuff for 'free' I phone them to resolve issues. There's a sales line for sales.

zing_deleted
14-06-2006, 21:52
Yay the guys in India can now dick about with your account....

All intensely suspicious to me, I really can't see why 'tech support' would be doing this, it's really none of their business to upsell you anything, or to give anything for free, they are there to provide support and until they can actually get that right I'd question why they are pimping new products...

Unless this is the new way for ntl tech support of course, forget the support just give the discounts ;)

Either way absolutely bizarre. I don't phone my ISP's technical support for them to offer me stuff for 'free' I phone them to resolve issues. There's a sales line for sales.

So I spose you would walk away from a gift horse empty handed then??

James Henry
14-06-2006, 23:00
So I spose you would walk away from a gift horse empty handed then??
Hrmmm it's rarely all it's cracked up to be with situations like that, though I haven't been an ntl customer for a few months and my ISP just works. The one time I've had issues they were sorted and they have never offered me discounts for no apparent reason, nor have I felt the need to contact them and ask for them.

In ntl's case I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole now anyway but for those of you unfortunate enough to be their customers I'd go for it, even if they do try to shaft you a swift threat to leave and they'll be offering you a full harem of gaisha girls to stay. ;)

My point was that it's weird to phone for support and be given something free for no apparent reason, faults do after all happen and a customer phoning up asking for technical assistance is not a reason to be giving out discounts. That's a rather suicidal way to do business from where I sit, so you have to wonder what the catch is.

jtwn
14-06-2006, 23:15
Maybe its a case that offering the service costs nowhere near the cost to provide. Having a casual user from 2mb on 10mb who may dl a big file now and then prob isn't going to destroy the network and cost ntl a fortune just because they are on 10mb paying a 2mb price.

BarFly
14-06-2006, 23:43
it would have beeen the usual upsell which is being pushed on to staff at present...

what you are getting is a months upgrade at the same price then you billing will stay on the new tier...

so in your case, 24.99 current (2mb), 24.99 next month (10mb), then onto 34.99(10mb) until you downgrade ;)... & do the same for the next month...lol

so your speed will get upgraded within 3/4 days as its taking this long to process all the upgrades being put though.. yes, speed can be upgraded straight away, but for the discounts to be added ( so you retain the same price for the first month ) there's a bit of a backlog & will take that long to get throught to them, sometimes quicker..

regards

barfly

James Henry
15-06-2006, 00:21
Maybe its a case that offering the service costs nowhere near the cost to provide. Having a casual user from 2mb on 10mb who may dl a big file now and then prob isn't going to destroy the network and cost ntl a fortune just because they are on 10mb paying a 2mb price.
I see, so people who phone up and don't use much get their 10Mbit at a lower price, while those with heavy usage who call for whatever reason are still expected to pay £34.99.

Sounds ridiculous when put that way really doesn't it? That's what you are suggesting though. I find it highly highly unlikely that this is involved in any way and imagine it's just someone cruising for some upsell commission. The idea of lighter users paying less for the same speed makes a bit of a mockery of so called 'unlimited' 10Mbit.

The whole point of having light users is to get as much cash as you can from them to subsidise the people downloading 900GB in a month *cough Locky cough* and giving them stuff for free just eats into the profit margin. I fully expect this chap to receive a bill for £34.99 in the not too distant future though...

That withstanding it does appear as though ntl is actively trying to avoid making money these days with the special deals, which makes a nice change from simply failing to previously.

Nidge
15-06-2006, 06:22
My 10meg is free for another 6 months anyway:D :D

jtwn
15-06-2006, 15:39
I see, so people who phone up and don't use much get their 10Mbit at a lower price, while those with heavy usage who call for whatever reason are still expected to pay £34.99.

Sounds ridiculous when put that way really doesn't it? That's what you are suggesting though.

No its not. You are blabbing on about as if ntl are committing a crime against humanity for giving the speeds at lower prices. All I'm saying in reply is just because something is charged higher, doesn't always mean it cost proportionately more to provide. After all 150gig is 150gig whether it was given at 220kb/s or 1150kb/s.

Just because somebody has 10meg doesn't mean they are going to use the service to the point where the service is loss making. Neither do we (most of us then) know how much it actually costs ntl to provide a speed/usage. Either way, its ntl's prerogative to charge what they wish for the services.

tucker61
16-06-2006, 06:47
It really makes no difference. If NTL put everyone on up to 10 mb as planed in next x months then people would still be complaining because they are only getting upto 10 mb. Let them upgrade people in small doses. If people get it for free great, Chances are they wil only see between 5 and 6 mb.

Might be a cap on useage ?

Seems sense to me to upgrade to 10 MB and charge more for the amount you download.

Chrysalis
17-06-2006, 12:03
jtwn it does cost more to provide.

5 people on 2mbit can download a vista dvdr and ntl only need to have 10mbit of burst available, the same 5 people on 10mbit ntl would need 50mbit burst to avoid congestion.

---------- Post added at 12:03 ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 ----------

It really makes no difference. If NTL put everyone on up to 10 mb as planed in next x months then people would still be complaining because they are only getting upto 10 mb. Let them upgrade people in small doses. If people get it for free great, Chances are they wil only see between 5 and 6 mb.

Might be a cap on useage ?

Seems sense to me to upgrade to 10 MB and charge more for the amount you download.

when that day comes dont expect your speed to be unaffected, be contention hell.