PDA

View Full Version : Cheeky feckers - £75 for a cable

h8ytr
14-06-2006, 11:58
Hi all

I've got my cable modem in the back bedroom at the moment, where my computer was...I also have a cable point in the front bedroom where my computer now is. At first I ran the wire from the back bedroom cable point to the modem, then to router, then to PC.
I then bought wireless and now do that, but sometimes the connection drops, so I want to move my modem into the front room.
The point in the back bedroom has a cable coming out of it without the ability to unscrew the cable....so if I wanted to move the modem, I need a small piece of cable to screw onto the wall point to attach to the modem.
I phoned telewest to discuss this and asked if they could send me a small piece of cable. They said it would be £75 for someone to come and do it. They also said I could make it myself, but then if anything went wrong with my modem etc, they wouldn't come out.

CHEEKY or what?!?!?

I've now asked my brother in law (ex telewest) to sort it out for me...for nothing!

Sony Ericsson
14-06-2006, 14:09
I've now asked my brother in law (ex telewest) to sort it out for me...for nothing![/quote]

Why did you not ask your brother in the first place?

They have to pay the engineer to come out and the petrol they use

Chris
14-06-2006, 15:01

Pay, yes, but £75? Seems a bit steep.

Sony Ericsson
14-06-2006, 15:16

BT are the same to

h8ytr
14-06-2006, 16:09
I don't know why they couldn't just send the cable in the post...or get an engineer to drop it round on the way to another job...I only need to screw it on...and they should supply it anyway!

Stuart
14-06-2006, 16:12
BT are the same to

BT's charges are more like £120... That's how much I had to pay to get a socket replaced.

Diadem
14-06-2006, 16:38
Problem is folks the possible damage that can be done, if the wire in the middle of the coax touches the metal screw point on the modem, it can short out the modem.
Also any joins in the cable couse SNR and power level problems, thus a new attenuator may be needed at the back of the modem to boost or cut the power level.

And droping a cable of on the way to a job, its just not possible. He has to get to all his alocated jobs within the day and sort them those engineers dont have an easy job ;)

janipewter
15-06-2006, 00:22
It probably would have been easier for you just to lay cat5 or cat6 from the modem into the other room :rolleyes:

zing_deleted
15-06-2006, 00:23
Buy 2 home plug devices a lot cheaper(than the 75 quid) networking over the mains ;)

Diadem
15-06-2006, 01:24
mmm... home plug not got round to trying that out yet considering it love the idea of it :D

Graham M
15-06-2006, 01:56
My Bro has a Homeplug from the STB to the Router, seems to work nicely

Diadem
15-06-2006, 01:58
much is the home plug devices? im lazy cant be assed looking it up lol

might just have to get a few for my Xbox and for the modem to router btw is there any wireless access point ones?

thelem
15-06-2006, 11:58
im lazy cant be assed looking it up lol

So why should we do it for you?

Stuart
15-06-2006, 12:19
much is the home plug devices? im lazy cant be assed looking it up lol

might just have to get a few for my Xbox and for the modem to router btw is there any wireless access point ones?

So, rather than going to somewhere like Dabs, you go to all the effort of typing that post?

Reminds me of something one of our Unix administrators did at work. When asked by a lecturer to create 30 accounts. He typed a twelve page email that when you read it, basically boiled down to "I can't be bothered to". It would have been quicker for him to create the accounts.

Diadem
15-06-2006, 18:43
meh it was late :p.. looked now not all that cheap tho think am gonna stick with my gig network. love the idea tho

justamin
15-06-2006, 21:53
Unless I'm reading this wrong, you have 2 access points, 1 in the front bedroom, 1 in back.. ermm so why not unscrew the cable from the back and screw it in the front bedroom..???

Telewest/ntl installed it as you wanted it in the first place, now you want to move it, so why should they do it for free???

Diadem,
joins in the cable if done properly will cause no signal loss nor power problems that the meters we have will register, and antenuators will not boost a signal just drop it and move the upstream level up...

v0id
16-06-2006, 00:43

Reminds me of something one of our Unix administrators did at work. When asked by a lecturer to create 30 accounts. He typed a twelve page email that when you read it, basically boiled down to "I can't be bothered to". It would have been quicker for him to create the accounts.

Reminds me of something my old college lecturer would do :P

danielf
16-06-2006, 00:56

Reminds me of IT at my place. This bloke heads a team of 2 people (including himself), and when you ask him to do a simple job that will take 5 minutes, he keeps you busy for 20 minutes explaining how busy they are and how it might take some time before he gets round to doing it...

h8ytr
16-06-2006, 09:53
Unless I'm reading this wrong, you have 2 access points, 1 in the front bedroom, 1 in back.. ermm so why not unscrew the cable from the back and screw it in the front bedroom..???

Yes I do have 2 points, but the one in the back room as the cable actually connected to the box on the wall, not screw on like the other points...it actually goes inside the box, so I expect it is wired straight in...this box was there when I moved in and is quite an old one so maybe that's how they used to do it.

ian@huth
16-06-2006, 10:11

Pay, yes, but £75? Seems a bit steep.A lot of companies in the domestic electrical appliance field charge around £75 for a call out with parts on top of this. When the element in our oven went it was £74.95 call out which included the first 30 minutes labour, the cost of replacement parts was on top of this.

h8ytr
16-06-2006, 10:51
yeah, but £75 to hand me a cable?!?!?! come on!

zing_deleted
16-06-2006, 10:54
mmm... home plug not got round to trying that out yet considering it love the idea of it :D

Ive set up a few networks using Homplugs now and they work a treat.There ideal if someone does not want to set up a wireless network and there really really simple to use

Sony Ericsson
16-06-2006, 17:54
yeah, but £75 to hand me a cable?!?!?! come on!

Telewest will not allow you to do a job yourself.

SO therefore the labour is included in the cost to

justamin
17-06-2006, 06:53
H8, if the cable going round the outside of the house is black, and the 1 comming out of the box on the wall is white, then its joined inside that box with a screw on connector and a barrel, depends how easy it is to remove the box and unscrew it...

Any way having looked at the site selling those homeplugs if you can get them cheaper than £ 50 thats looking a better deal in the long run...

easy to install, able to move from room to room, and add other P C'S as and when, allthough you still need a router for mulitiple P C'S...

Well we all know that Ntl/telewobblers are always last to use any good ideas...

Diadem
17-06-2006, 13:51

Telewest/ntl installed it as you wanted it in the first place, now you want to move it, so why should they do it for free???

Diadem,
joins in the cable if done properly will cause no signal loss nor power problems that the meters we have will register, and antenuators will not boost a signal just drop it and move the upstream level up...
i know if its done correctly it wont be a problem, cheers for the info on the attenuators not totaly up on evrything with the modems ;)

in hes rights sounds like were being cu*ts but they do ask where you want it when it gets installed, if you want it somwhere else now its not compulsary that telewest or who ever for that matter have to deal with the change. anyway yes that box is like the ntl ones once you get inside it you can diconnect the cable and connect the modem.

A: if its connected to the Y spliter coming in to your house.
B: again possible power issues due to cable

i sugest if you do connect it that way go to 192.168.100.1 and get the upstream power SNR and down stream power and post it up incase there might be a problem with those levels just to be on the safe side.

hope evrything helps, in i dont sould like a complet ***** :p:

James Henry
19-06-2006, 06:04
i know if its done correctly it wont be a problem, cheers for the info on the attenuators not totaly up on evrything with the modems ;)

in hes rights sounds like were being cu*ts but they do ask where you want it when it gets installed, if you want it somwhere else now its not compulsary that telewest or who ever for that matter have to deal with the change. anyway yes that box is like the ntl ones once you get inside it you can diconnect the cable and connect the modem.

A: if its connected to the Y spliter coming in to your house.
B: again possible power issues due to cable

i sugest if you do connect it that way go to 192.168.100.1 and get the upstream power SNR and down stream power and post it up incase there might be a problem with those levels just to be on the safe side.

hope evrything helps, in i dont sould like a complet ***** :p:

You can't get upstream SNR from the modem, you can only get upstream transmit power, think you meant that and downstream power and SNR :)

__spc__
19-06-2006, 07:02
I don't know why they couldn't just send the cable in the post...or get an engineer to drop it round on the way to another job...I only need to screw it on...and they should supply it anyway!

After several visits from ntl engineers, I have enough spare cabling and other gizmos that I can re-site any of my hardware!

I even had a splitter unit so that I when I got the conservatory built, I could just run a feed from my lounge STB to a second TV (fine, the TVs get the same cable feed, but still, cheaper than a second STB).

Next time an engineer comes out, tell him you are likely to soon move your modem or STB - can he leave some cable etc.

Diadem
19-06-2006, 20:46
yes james down stream lol confusing my self..

---------- Post added at 20:46 ---------- Previous post was at 20:45 ----------

spc dipends what the enginners like, its telewest as well not ntl :P