PDA

View Full Version : Asthma

Graham M
14-06-2006, 10:18
I had Athsma when I was younger and grew out of it, it used to come with Hayfever in the Spring and disappear in the Autumn, anyway, last year I noticed slight breathlessness when the pollen count was high and that, again went late Summer/Autumn. This year, however, it came back with avengence :( I've just been to the doc's and he prescribed me a Ventolin Inhaler, so, does anyone here suffer with Athsma (it's quite common so it wouldn't surprise me) and how do you get by with it, and do you have any stories?

Cheers (please make me feel better :))

Graham

Russ
14-06-2006, 10:19
Paging Dr Salu!! :D

Salu
14-06-2006, 11:23
What do you want to know?

Useful fact: Thunderstorms increase the incidence of Asthma (as we spell it :)) as the weather spreads the pollen causing attacks.

smiffer
14-06-2006, 11:27
I suffered like yourswlf from asthma when i was younger, but have no problems anymore. I think you might find taht there are numerous causes that could set off your asthma and there probably isn't one set thing that will always trigger it. just make sure you always carry your inhaler with you as attacks can happen anywhere.

If i was you for the first month or so just make some mental notes as to where and when you chest gets tight or short of breath etc.

Graham M
14-06-2006, 11:46
What do you want to know?

Useful fact: Thunderstorms increase the incidence of Asthma (as we spell it :)) as the weather spreads the pollen causing attacks.

Thanks for the useful information and oh well I put the S in the wrong place, a passing mod could edit it if he feels like it :)

ikthius
14-06-2006, 23:01
i have asthma too.

I find keeping myself fit helps in not using the inhalers as much.

but yes the weather affects when my asthma comes on, I normally get it when the weather changes as I get it with a cold.

ik

GreenBars
16-06-2006, 21:14
Supposedly eating locally produced honey can help.

You could ask your doctor for a long-lasting combination therapy like Seretide, which should reduce the incidence of attacks, as opposed to using an emergency therapy like salbutamol (Ventolin).

Salu
17-06-2006, 17:23
It's an understandable thing to do, to recommend something that you have seen someone else on or are even on yourself. However, not everyone needs to go on corticosteroids and his doctor will have considered this.
In most cases the "emergency" salbutamol is the right treatment.

When you have an asthma attack parts of the lung spasm and decrease the lungs ability to absorb oxygen. Ventolin is part of a group of drugs called bronchodilators. They basically reverse this spasm and allow the patient to breathe properly again. The corticosteroids help reduce the inflammation caused over regular spasms. That's the basics....

Nidge
17-06-2006, 18:10
It's an understandable thing to do, to recommend something that you have seen someone else on or are even on yourself. However, not everyone needs to go on corticosteroids and his doctor will have considered this.
In most cases the "emergency" salbutamol is the right treatment.

When you have an asthma attack parts of the lung spasm and decrease the lungs ability to absorb oxygen. Ventolin is part of a group of drugs called bronchodilators. They basically reverse this spasm and allow the patient to breathe properly again. The corticosteroids help reduce the inflammation caused over regular spasms. That's the basics....

Or you could try a dose of Steroids if it gets worse through the summer:cool: :cool: :cool: I get the little red ones called Prednisolone from my doctor in the summer, they have a antibiotic in them to. I also have Seratide and Slabutamol inhalers just incase of emergencies.

liamboyle06
15-11-2006, 08:44
Bringing this up again, are there any other ways to prevent having an attack.
I am currently on becloforte(think that is how it is spelt) and Salbutamol, but have noticed that since september, the frequency of taking these are increasing.
I would say I am fairly fit, with exercising and playing footie(both indoor and outdoor), but when I play outdoor, after mayber 20-30 mins, i need to use the inhaler. I always feel fine during the warmer months, its only when temp goes below about 15C that I really need to use the inhalers.

Saaf_laandon_mo
15-11-2006, 10:21
Another asthma related question..... My 2 year old has been suffering from chesty coughs for the last 6 months. I never notice her out of breath, and her cough sounds like theres cartarh in her throat.the last time my missus took her to the GP, their records showed it was the 3rd time shes been in with same symptoms and issued us an astma pump to give her in the evenings (when her cough seems to be worse). I was a bit suprised they did this, saying we should give it to her every evening for a week and see if the cough goes away. Im not sure if this the best thing to do tho. Has anyone had similar experiences with their toddlers?

lauzjp
15-11-2006, 13:19
I know I should get tested for asthma... I used my fiance's test thingy and I came up way worse than he is!? I saw an interesting programme on c4 early hours once, think it was dispatches or something like that - basically telling people to get rid of pets, have no carpet, have no ornaments etc. I would happily change everything to make my dearests life easier, but he won't!

Saaf_laandon_mo
15-11-2006, 13:53
I know I should get tested for asthma... I used my fiance's test thingy and I came up way worse than he is!? I saw an interesting programme on c4 early hours once, think it was dispatches or something like that - basically telling people to get rid of pets, have no carpet, have no ornaments etc. I would happily change everything to make my dearests life easier, but he won't!

My mate (who's kids have astma) replaced his carpets with wooden floors and says its the best thing he ever did, as far as the asthma was concerned.

superbiatch
15-11-2006, 13:59
I suffer terribly with asthma alongside my hayfever in the summer, other than that I don't get it any other time of the year :(

Salu
15-11-2006, 15:55
Another asthma related question..... My 2 year old has been suffering from chesty coughs for the last 6 months. I never notice her out of breath, and her cough sounds like theres cartarh in her throat.the last time my missus took her to the GP, their records showed it was the 3rd time shes been in with same symptoms and issued us an astma pump to give her in the evenings (when her cough seems to be worse). I was a bit suprised they did this, saying we should give it to her every evening for a week and see if the cough goes away. Im not sure if this the best thing to do tho. Has anyone had similar experiences with their toddlers?

Has it improved things? Giving an inhaler doesn't necessarily mean your GP thinks your child has asthma though. He's probably just treating the symptoms. Diagnosing asthma in under 5s is not an exact science and generally not done. Many tots will have wheezes and sneezes and lots will grow out of it without getting asthma.

I generally tend to advise letting toddlers get on with getting colds. It builds up their immunity levels and you can't really stop it when they mix with other kids etc. It's annoying for them and parents have more grief as their children are generally more grumpy but it's helping things in the long run.

My mate (who's kids have astma) replaced his carpets with wooden floors and says its the best thing he ever did, as far as the asthma was concerned.

Identifying the trigger that causes asthma is the best thing to do to avoid attacks. There are many, so cleaning or removing carpets if you are sensitive to house-dust mites droppings is sensible. As is reducing the amount of time you spend outside according to the weather forecast if you are sensitive to pollen etc etc....

lauzjp
15-11-2006, 18:44
Salu, what can I say to convince my doctor to offer sensitivity tests to see what I and my other half are actually allergic to?

Or does anyone know of anyone who does it privately but doesn't cost a fortune?! I would just like to know - like you say, so we can make more of a concerted effort to avoid triggers... sadly, I bet one of ours is pet hair - but we love our neighbours cats very much :(

Chimaera
15-11-2006, 19:21
My daughter has just informed me that her dad's (my ex-husband's) asthma is really bad at the moment - he's actually come home from work as he's feeling so ill, and he's never done that in all the years I've known him. It appears that although his GP has prescribed him the same inhalers, the formulation has changed - and he could be allergic to the stuff that is used as a propellant for the drug. I'm not sure what (if anything) can be done about that?

budwieser
15-11-2006, 19:35
A friend of ours was diagnosed with the same problem and after a few years it actually turned out to be an allergic reaction to wheat.!!!!!!:shocked:
If you you think you or one of your loved ones has asthma, please go and get checked for other allergies as well.

Graham M
15-11-2006, 19:38
Well now we're out of the hot weather i'm no longer having to use my inhaler so it's all good :)

superbiatch
15-11-2006, 19:40
Well now we're out of the hot weather i'm no longer having to use my inhaler so it's all good :)

That makes two of us :)

Salu
16-11-2006, 11:17
Salu, what can I say to convince my doctor to offer sensitivity tests to see what I and my other half are actually allergic to?

Or does anyone know of anyone who does it privately but doesn't cost a fortune?! I would just like to know - like you say, so we can make more of a concerted effort to avoid triggers... sadly, I bet one of ours is pet hair - but we love our neighbours cats very much :(

We'd need to know why he is unconvinced.....It sounds like you already know one trigger though.