PDA

View Full Version : damn ntl.. what they done =-/

Martyn
14-06-2006, 04:01
Phoned up to get my 4mb sent throught faster ( still took a good 5 days )..

get a bill through today saying i got 10mb.. was thinkin eh,, funny i download about 300-400kbs..

so i reboot my stb, and find that im on 10mb now..

any point to them doing this without my consent?..

Your current bandwidth reading is:

8.55 Mbps

which means you can download at 1.07 MB/sec. from our servers.

Paul K
14-06-2006, 06:10
They are currently upgrading a lot of areas to 10Mb as per a number of threads on the forum.

Stephen
14-06-2006, 08:10
THe upgrade to 4MB from 2MB is automatic. You can't get it any quicker as your area needs to be enabled for it.

When you asked to go faster than the 2MB they must have put you on the 10MB as that is the only faster speed on the system. CAll up and ask to get put on the 2MB.

When your area has been upgraded you will automatically get the speed increase. There is nothing you can do to get it early.

Chrysalis
14-06-2006, 09:20
more likely what will happen is he wil get a discount to cover the cost of 2meg to 10meg since they cant downgrade him now till 30 days gone.

Martyn
14-06-2006, 10:24
ermm nope i clearly made sure it was 4mb, i clearly said that i saw it on the web site, and i was wondering if i could get it now. and they said "Yes" they fiddled with a few things, 5 days later, i had 4mb.. i get a bill throught yesterday Charging me for 10mb ( i was thinkin sure.. enough )

i mean i get download speed 800kb/s some times.. not bad i suppose.. But i wont pay 34£ for it when every one round my way seems to only pay 10£ ( weird for some reason? )

Stuart
14-06-2006, 10:27
ermm nope i clearly made sure it was 4mb, i clearly said that i saw it on the web site, and i was wondering if i could get it now. and they said "Yes" they fiddled with a few things, 5 days later, i had 4mb.. i get a bill throught yesterday Charging me for 10mb ( i was thinkin sure.. enough )

i mean i get download speed 800kb/s some times.. not bad i suppose.. But i wont pay 34£ for it when every one round my way seems to only pay 10£ ( weird for some reason? )

Do you connect through a Set Top Box or Cable modem?

James Henry
15-06-2006, 00:36
Do you connect through a Set Top Box or Cable modem?
so i reboot my stb, and find that im on 10mb now.
Martyn, as stated like crazy on the thread regarding these upgrades phoning them up to try and push them along is a bad idea - CS cannot upgrade you early this time around and to be fair you're wasting your time and theirs on an unnecessary phone call, and of course as there's always the chance of confusion.

The fact is that CS just have collections of codes to apply to accounts, someone got a bit confused and stuck you on 10Mbit as your account on their system probably already said 4Mbit.

The dangers of impatience :p:

Give them a ring and if you're not in your first 12 months mention TalkTalk, etc, and you'll soon have that 10Mbit on the cheap ;)

---------- Post added at 00:36 ---------- Previous post was at 00:33 ----------

Yeah ntl are idiots with no idea of the concept that customers actually need to be profitable in order to be worth having. They'd rather just throw discounts at customers and try and convince themselves that a customer taking all 3 services for next to sod all is actually worth more than a customer who just takes 10Mbit broadband for example and pays full price.

ntl are going as down market as possible now cutting costs where possible supplying the crappiest tech support and service for the lowest price. Basically competing with Talk Talk, Wanadoo, etc, by being even cheaper and even crappier, rather than the other alternative which was just to offer a better service and win people that way...

The stock market gets horny at the fudged 'triple play' figures I guess. Wait for the people saying 'I phoned up and got free big TV pack, 10Mbit broadband, talk unlimited and mobile for 20p a month by mentioning xxx competitor'.

EDIT: To add an extra paragraph to properly emphasise disdain with the build cheap, sell cheap, pile high, outsourced everything load of crap that is the ntl service these days and will only get worse in the future.