PDA

View Full Version : Should Women be able to be F1 drivers?

Stuart
14-06-2006, 01:22
I am just watching the Indy 500 for the first time in quite a while. I have just noticed that they now have a female driver (Danica Patrick (http://www.danicaracing.com/)).

Now, I have wondered (in the past) why women didn't drive in F1, and was always told that women wouldn't be strong enough to control the cars. This is a good point, but I have also been told that Indy 500 requires more strength and stamina. After all, the cars are (I believe) heavier, and the race itself is longer.

Surely if this is the case, there is no reason women could not drive in F1? In fact if they are strong enough to control the cars, then with a lower body weight (not a sexist comment, women do tend to be lighter than men), they may actually be *better* than men at F1 driving.

Acathla
14-06-2006, 01:27
There have been, however, a few women in Formula One. In 1992 Giovanna Amati raced for Brabham early in the season, but the car was not good, and Amati failed to qualify every time she attempted. Later in the year Damon Hill would struggle to qualify (and not always succeed) in the same car. In the early 80's Desire Wilson won the Aurora Formula One series in the UK, which led into her attempting to qualify for the British Grand Prix in an old Williams. But she was given a different car than she had won the Aurora series in and didn't get used to the newer Williams before qualifying was over. In the 50's Maria Theresa de Filippis took part in several Grands Prix. Lella Lombardi spent a couple of seasons in Formula One and scored half a point in the 1975 Spanish Grand Prix.

that and more info at http://atlasf1.autosport.com/99/aut/preview/faq.html

:)

Tightscot
14-06-2006, 09:55
how could they apply their makeup with no rear view mirror - whilst wearing a helmet?

ian@huth
14-06-2006, 10:28
Danica Patrick is not the only female in the top motor sports events. She drives in the Indy Racing League and there is also Englishwoman Katherine Legge who drives in the Champ Car series and is doing fairly well. There have been female formula one drivers in the past with Italian Lella Lombardi who in 1975 finished sixth in the Spanish Grand Prix.

Acathla
14-06-2006, 10:57
There have been female formula one drivers in the past with Italian Lella Lombardi who in 1975 finished sixth in the Spanish Grand Prix.

Isn't that kinda what I said :)

sherer
14-06-2006, 11:27
i think women could certainly do the job the problem is that women don't grow up exposed to the racing would and want to do it where is with boys lots of them are either forced into it by their parents ( mean if you are named after a car did you really choose to do karting at 5) or just want to do it from a young age

Katherine Legge is certainly better than Danika Patrick as she won a few rces in Formula Atlanic last year

smiffer
14-06-2006, 11:30
NO idea about who is who. But hell yeah women should be allowed to race in formula 1 think the chaps on the course now would be besides themselves if they got beat by a woman. especially schuey with his big jaw to go with his big head.

idi banashapan
14-06-2006, 11:34
I am just watching the Indy 500 for the first time in quite a while. I have just noticed that they now have a female driver (Danica Patrick (http://www.danicaracing.com/)).

if they look like that, bring them in! how shallow am I??? very!!! ;)

gazzae
14-06-2006, 11:42
Didn't Button say recently that their tits would get in the way.

pedantic
14-06-2006, 11:46

I think he meant, they would get in the way of his vision. ;)

sherer
14-06-2006, 11:52
actually Danica has an advantage as she weighs less which helps with the speed of the car

one thing that they keep trying to keep quiet about Danica is that she is already married.. even worse than that isn't not to me :bigcry:

she does get over hyped in the US though she has never won a race in any category she has been in and i think Indycar is easier to drive than F1 too..

all the time when they commentate the US people keep going and Danica is down in 17th and doing this etc etc all the time

Katherine Legge is a far better drive and has won several races

Maggy
14-06-2006, 11:58
Hell yes!If they want to and can get a car why not?What happens after that is up to them...like any job that women want to do.:erm:

andygrif
15-06-2006, 09:29

So what's his excuse for not getting any podiums?

Hell yes!If they want to and can get a car why not?What happens after that is up to them...like any job that women want to do.:erm:

I agree completely, but I guess that F1 is very much a male domain. The ladies are only there to look pretty whilst holding a flag. It's a shame, as I think that there are a few MCP's in F1 that could do with taking down a peg or two by a female driver.

Stuart
15-06-2006, 09:38
actually Danica has an advantage as she weighs less which helps with the speed of the car

That was what I thought. Remember reading somewhere a while back that one of the navies considered all women crews on submarines for precisely that reason.

I have to admit that I haven't heard of her before (not really a big fan of Indy - it gets repetitive IMO).

altis
15-06-2006, 10:47
Davina Galicia?

sherer
15-06-2006, 10:50
some of the other drivers have complained as she has abit of an advantage and one time when there was a signing sessions somewhere she even had a seperate queue to everyone else and that annoyed the others too

she os overrated.. she ok at the ovals just going round and round but not that great on the street tracks.. she just over hyped abit as shes a woman and quite pretty.. she's never won a race in any series

katherine Legge however has won several races and is a much better prospect.. she races in CART where they race on proper circuits or street tracks and is English too

as i said women can do this just as well as mean it's just at 5 yo when alot of the boys start girls aren't really exposed to the racing world and it's not the sort of thing a girl would want to get into at that age.. by the time they do they are already 5 years behind all the boys