PDA

View Full Version : My modem lights are always flashing....

Retrovertigo
11-06-2006, 14:09
A while ago it seemed that when my P.C was switched off the modem lights (u/s - d/s) never flashed at all. And I am sure I read here, that other people commented on the fact they used to always flash, but had stopped when modems had updated firmware or similar.

So, should I be worried that my lights flash? My router has WEP enabled and I have MAC filtering on. Is there any other way someone could be accessing my modem - which would explain my terrible speeds at times.

Or am I being a willy worry? Cheers.

Halcyon
11-06-2006, 16:01
It is quite normal for the upstream and downstream lights to flash.
The USB or Ethernet lights should be off if your PC (and / or) router are off.
I wouldnt be too worried.

zing_deleted
11-06-2006, 16:07
It is quite normal for the upstream and downstream lights to flash.
The USB or Ethernet lights should be off if your PC (and / or) router are off.
I wouldnt be too worried.

That depends on how your motherboard handles its power my machines still have power going to the motherboard when shut down and theres power going to the ethernet ports showing a connection on the router when pc is off :)

Halcyon
11-06-2006, 16:12
Ah yes, good point there. I had forgotten about this.
This actually happened to me the other day when I saw a connection still present on my router.. I wondered what on earth was still connected until I noticed the network card LED lit on the back of the PC.

2||Para
11-06-2006, 17:15
Had similar issues today on and off.Can be quite happily browsing the net and then nothing.Only light that stays on is the power light.Called BB support[waste of time] "Yes sir we will arrange a engineer for you for Monday.2 till 6 ok for you?" "yes thats fine thankyou" "ok we will see you a week on Monday"

Modem finally sprung back to life about 15 mins ago.