PDA

View Full Version : Power Failure

UncleBooBoo
10-06-2006, 08:26
I was thinking, When we have a power outage does NTL provide any backup power for broadband?

I am thinking of getting a UPS for my telecommunications equiptment but this will be a waste of money if broadband does not work due to power loss at the cab!

Anyone here know?

AbyssUnderground
10-06-2006, 10:49
I asked this question earlier this year and I was told some do have UPS's but most do not. If an engineer was nearby and it was suitable to set up a generator he would do.

I was told this by various members of CF and NTL but this information could have changed over the months.

I have a UPS for all my PC's and I find them convenient simply because they protect from surges as well as blackouts, of which ive had a fair few since I got mine. The lights flicker and the UPS kicks in, and I feel all smug as my pc keeps running :)

UncleBooBoo
10-06-2006, 12:26
Yea but I will be using it for telecommunications equiptment, spending £200 + on a ups that is next to useless because my broadband does not work is just a waste time & money.

I know adsl on a bt phone line contiues to work when power failures occur, I would imagine NTL do not provide any type of UPS after all this is NTL right.

Never mind!

AbyssUnderground
10-06-2006, 14:12
UPS's dont cost over £200 if you go to the right place. The one that runs my server cost me £15 off ebay, and the ones that run my PC and Monitor cost me £20 from eBuyer.com (although they were on offer).

www.ebuyer.com (http://www.ebuyer.com) is your best bet for getting a cheap UPS. Ive had many from them and they all work perfectly, even now over 8 months later. Just be aware that a CRT monitor may make your PC reset when you turn it on if its on the same UPS. Thats why I have 2, so it doesnt reset the PC, plus I get a longer backup time with 2.