PDA

View Full Version : ntl broadband set up problem

edwards55
08-06-2006, 17:29
I had broadband istalled but found the service from ntl very poor. When the engineer called he told me to set up with my PIN from the welcome pack but I hadn't received this so he told me to call Tech support. I did this but they told me I needed to ring customer service, which I did, but it was closed until 11am. I rang back and waited 25 mins for my call to be answered. I was then given a PIN which was invalid and the cutomer service officer told me she couldn't do anything else to help me. (!). I then rang Tech support again and they took me through a manual set up process which took ages and will have cost me a fortune on my phone bill. I have still not had my welcome pack, or a satifactory response to my feedback left on the ntl web page.
While the engineer was here I asked him to check my tv box signal as we experience picture freeze and can't use "on demand". He did this and said the signal was weak and would get someone to call. They didn't so I rang cust service again and still no one has been. What do you have to do to get someone to come out!!??

codebreaker
08-06-2006, 17:35
I tell you what , NTL customer services and NTL faults / technical support are 2 completely different departments . If you have a DTV issue call up :
0845 650 0125 , and you would be transferrerd to DTV department .
And just to quote : "I then rang Tech support again and they took me through a manual set up process which took ages and will have cost me a fortune on my phone bill." , could you please explain that what were u made to do exactly . U mentioned manual regiatration that talkes less than 5 minutes unless there is fault on the modem , modem + PC network or your PC itself .

hairy_mick
08-06-2006, 21:11
hang on you are paying a monthly sub so you can have internet and they have not set up the pin correctley. Well its not fit for purpose get onto them and tell them you will give them 24hrs to sort it or you will go to the local press come on NTL get it sorted

codebreaker
09-06-2006, 15:37
sorry , i did not really get your point . I represent technical support , not customer services . I think you are mugging up Customer service a.k.a Sales and Techncial Support . Your pin no is generated by Sales , so it's useless to blame the techncial support .

melevittfl
11-06-2006, 00:45
so it's useless to blame the techncial support .

Umm, I think he's blaming NTL. I don't think customers really care about NTL's internal communications problems or convoluted procedures.

He's ordered a service from NTL and NTL hasn't delivered. It really doesn't matter to him (or the Trading Standards office) whether it was NTL Sales or NTL Tech Support that's causing him the problem.

James Henry
11-06-2006, 01:31
sorry , i did not really get your point . I represent technical support , not customer services . I think you are mugging up Customer service a.k.a Sales and Techncial Support . Your pin no is generated by Sales , so it's useless to blame the techncial support .
'mugging up' is quite an interesting phrase for someone from India to use ;)

I think it's fair to say that customers don't give two hoots who generates what, the service being delivered and charged for without being ready to use is unacceptable and is a violation of UK consumer law. This is totally unacceptable by any reasonable standards and is illegal.

I can't say it surprises me though, this is the company that spent tens of millions on a new billing system and is now taking up the system Telewest have used. A victory of an industry standard system over the one ntl had built for them at obscene cost based on a Microsoft platform.

Proprietary software rarely pays I guess, and industry standards are standards for a reason. The migration of legacy systems to Harmony was far from painless as I understand it, a fairly poor reflection on the system that was supposed to make these migrations so simple.

bayonet
11-06-2006, 10:11
Right let's get some sense here codebreaker

1. Does your broadband connection come from the set top box because if it does you need a PID number and not a PIN number PINs are for Stand Alone Cable Modems or SACMs (you'll need a password if it's a PID)

2. Can you get on the internet after being taken through the registration process

MFKR78
11-06-2006, 10:47
Comments in here hit the nail on the head about NTL's service.

When something has happened what do you get? "Ooh well it's not our fault it must be the other department go to them" to which you get the same response from the other department after complaining. I saw this on many many occasions when working for them.

James Henry
11-06-2006, 11:13
Comments in here hit the nail on the head about NTL's service.

When something has happened what do you get? "Ooh well it's not our fault it must be the other department go to them" to which you get the same response from the other department after complaining. I saw this on many many occasions when working for them.

Most people see this when working for them. It's a common theme in a lot of companies though, no-one wanting to take responsibility.

Disgusting service this guy got, a broadband service that hasn't been properly activated, and an install that is by the sound of it too poor for the broadband to work properly anyway even when activated going by the VoD not working and TV being unstable.

MFKR78
11-06-2006, 11:47
It's true unfortunately. I saw a lot of things which were beyond belief but there isn't much point dragging them all up here now as it won't help the original problem.

I probably shouldn't go off on one at times but the service coming from a company as big as NTL baffles me by how bad it can be at times.

BrightonJohn
11-06-2006, 11:50
I've had one or two customers who have been provided with and charged for the NTL BroadBand service but have not received a letter with a PID. On one occaision I phoned up 'help' and was repeatedly given a pin and I repeatedly said I wanted a pid and that the pin didn't have enough digits - got me nowhere - don't even know if that more client (well more of a contact really) is on line even to this day!
BTW - anyone ever got the installation cd to work or at least work without that truck rubbish that doesn't work either?

hairy_mick
11-06-2006, 15:01
whats happening at the moment is that some pin numbers will work with the cd if it dont then you bin the cd and do a manual reg.

edwards55
12-06-2006, 15:33
I don't think I was being un reasonable in blaming customerservices when I was told to ring them for the PIN I hadn't recived for my set up. The service I received from Tech support was good but they couldn't help me without my PIN and it was them that told me to ring customer services. When the PIN I was given wouldn't work customer services just said "there is nothing else I can do to help you". I rang back tech support and was taken through the manual process. I have no idea how long it should take but it took ages as we both had difficulty understanding each others accents!
I am now up and running but still my tv doesn't work properly which I pointed out to cust services at that time. I don't think they care so long as I'm paying.

zing_deleted
12-06-2006, 15:48
Well I was called out to an NTL installed modem to set up a home plug network.The modem had never been setup so it fell to me to do.The pin number and surname on the account wasnt right so I called ntl tech sup and explained and was given then ip address of the old auto reg web page.This and given new pin this worked till the last page when I was told the modem account couldnt be activated.I called again explained and had the account activated by tech.So if this is a modem and not a set box box install and tech say they cant activate accounts remotely then there filling you with porkies
As far as your tv call customer services and say you want to cancel your tv you will be put through to retentions and they will try to keep you .Tell them about your problem and demand it is fixed within a week or you will cancel and demand a months refund at least

---------- Post added at 14:48 ---------- Previous post was at 14:46 ----------

I tell you what , NTL customer services and NTL faults / technical support are 2 completely different departments . If you have a DTV issue call up :
0845 650 0125 , and you would be transferrerd to DTV department .
And just to quote : "I then rang Tech support again and they took me through a manual set up process which took ages and will have cost me a fortune on my phone bill." , could you please explain that what were u made to do exactly . U mentioned manual regiatration that talkes less than 5 minutes unless there is fault on the modem , modem + PC network or your PC itself .

Who do you consider the need to bold type? I think we can all read standard text