PDA

View Full Version : Ironic names

peachey
03-12-2003, 14:38
anybody know any good examples of ironic names?

You know a medical doctor called Dr Pain etc etc

threadbare
03-12-2003, 14:45
Peter Pass is examiner for bike tests. He told me i was too confident and after five crashes 2 involving ice, 2 involving wet weather, and 1 involving an idiot in a white van (thank you for finally writing off my firestorm mr van driver) I think he may have been right!

yesman
03-12-2003, 14:45
Yep, I know of 2, I once worked in a library in Hertfordshire where the head librarian was a "Mr Reader"

And the head of Rectal exploratory examinations at Addenbrookes Hospital is a "Dr Smellie", and NO I dont have any personal experiences of him before anyone asks :D

Theodoric
03-12-2003, 19:44
The best one, 'cos it is really (in every sense of the word) universal, is a famous paper on cosmogenesis (the birth of the universe) by Ralph Alpher and George Gamow. To make a pun they added the name of the physicist Hans Bethe to the authors to give Alpher, Bethe & Gamow as the authors of the paper, that is alpha-beta-gamma. Truly delightful!

Chimaera
03-12-2003, 19:48
I once taught a class of kids and one of them had - well, a face only a mother could love, put it that way!

He later told me his name was Adonis!!

downquark1
03-12-2003, 19:50
Moody teacher who looked like that 'scream' guy: Mrs Tough

Mr Whitehead: bald like a monk

Xaccers
03-12-2003, 19:59
Had a bald teacher with no eyebrows who looked like a baby called Mr Young

Stuart
03-12-2003, 20:00
I once met a Wayne King. I didn't like to pry into whether he carries out that particular activity..

yesman
03-12-2003, 21:07
I once met a Wayne King. I didn't like to pry into whether he carries out that particular activity..
And what activity might that be then Stu ? :D

Theodoric
03-12-2003, 21:12
Well, dredging through my fading memory, I'm sure that Wayne King used to make scientific instruments; thermocouple meters, electrical hygrometers, that sort of thing.

EDIT Having further prodded my memory, I now believe that the firm was called Wayne Kerr. Actually, that's even better than Wayne King. :)

yesman
03-12-2003, 21:18
Well, dredging through my fading memory, I'm sure that Wayne King used to make scientific instruments; thermocouple meters, electrical hygrometers, that sort of thing.
And there was me thinking it was a place in China ;)

iadom
03-12-2003, 21:26
A firm in Mossley had an accountant called Mr Fidler.

On the subject of names, are parents cruel, thoughtless or just plain stupid, I mean I can appreciate the amusement that Phil and Gary Neville's paternal grandparents had when they called their son Neville, however, I was in a customers home this morning whose surname was Hack. I nearly wet myself when she called her son to get him up, " come on Zack school time"..:rofl:

Theodoric
03-12-2003, 21:35
A year or so ago, New Scientist had a running item in the back pages about authors of scientific papers whose names suitably matched the subject matter of the paper. They gave the phenomenon a suitably pretentious scientific sounding name. Unfortunately, I can't recall any of the examples offhand.

Maggy
03-12-2003, 22:05
A firm in Mossley had an accountant called Mr Fidler.

On the subject of names, are parents cruel, thoughtless or just plain stupid, I mean I can appreciate the amusement that Phil and Gary Neville's paternal grandparents had when they called their son Neville, however, I was in a customers home this morning whose surname was Hack. I nearly wet myself when she called her son to get him up, " come on Zack school time"..:rofl:

Oh yes aren't they just?I've had Theresa Green,Theresa Brown,Candy Sweet,Tracy Stacey to name a few.These days I refuse to call out full names at registration just in case of some thoughtless parent faux pas. :shrug:

Incog. :kiss:

danielf
03-12-2003, 23:11
A year or so ago, New Scientist had a running item in the back pages about authors of scientific papers whose names suitably matched the subject matter of the paper. They gave the phenomenon a suitably pretentious scientific sounding name. Unfortunately, I can't recall any of the examples offhand.

The term is Nominative Determinism

It's a recurring theme in the funnies in New Scientist. The idea is that your name determines your vocation/ the type of thing you're interested in. People keep sending them in, so they keep printing the best ones.

I like Michael Fish who does the weather on tv, and I once saw PC Runner interviewed on tele.

Edit: On a related note, I remember this item in the back pages of New Scientist, where someone had been flicking through the register of British associations, and had noticed that the 'British Association of Private Detectives'
did not have a registered address :erm:

Chimaera
03-12-2003, 23:26
When i worked in a casualty dept I once registered a child to see the doctor - the name ? Tia Maria!
As the mother said 'I called 'er that cos i was f*****g p****d up on it when I got knocked up with her!'
Charming!!

Stuart
04-12-2003, 12:46
Edit: On a related note, I remember this item in the back pages of New Scientist, where someone had been flicking through the register of British associations, and had noticed that the 'British Association of Private Detectives'
did not have a registered address :erm:
Maybe you need a Private Detective to find it?

yesman
04-12-2003, 13:38
When i worked in a casualty dept I once registered a child to see the doctor - the name ? Tia Maria!
As the mother said 'I called 'er that cos i was f*****g p****d up on it when I got knocked up with her!'
Charming!!
For the childs sake, I am glad she wasn't drinking Lager tops :beer:

Nemesis
04-12-2003, 13:46
There's a dentist in Orpington called I C Puller ... :D

basa
04-12-2003, 13:52
We have a family firm of contractors working here. The owner and his son run it. The surname is Bates !!

As is the vernacular, Bates senior is Mister Bates, junior is Master B... !! :naughty:

gary_580
04-12-2003, 14:39
Worked with a guy called Yudi Plonka

fireman328
04-12-2003, 14:41
When I lived up North I went to school with a boy called Fidler. His father was a partner in a business with a Mr. Cheetham.
Cheetham & Fidler
It would have been a little more ironic had they been accountants but they weren't.

Enterian
04-12-2003, 15:30
There's a firm of solicitors in Norwich called Wright Hassel & Company.

Stuart
04-12-2003, 15:55
This name is not really ironic, but I knew someone at school called "Duster Da Silva"..

Jerrek
04-12-2003, 16:04
John Manlove -- some guy running for mayor for some town in New York

Salu
04-12-2003, 16:42
There is an orthopaedic surgeon in Leeds called Mr Limb and a neurosurgeon (brain) called Mr Tumas

iadom
04-12-2003, 17:21
An local school headmaster went by the unfortunate name of Wright Platt.... no prizes for guessing what he was known as.

A local builder called Peter Gee has his initial and his surname on the side of his van. I am often tempted to ask him if he has any tips.:D

Many years ago whilst working for Hotpoint, I had two calls at different houses on the same morning for a Mr Blood and a Mrs Bone.

Atomic22
04-12-2003, 18:45
i work with a geezer called Antony Antony.....
he gets called.....
tonytony
2 times tony
tonytwice etc etc
we do laff at the thought of whether or not his parents were freebasing when they name him

gary_580
18-12-2003, 08:48
Just read a paper i wrote a few years ago and reminded my of this guys name. Dr Paul Mycock, what ever were his parents thinking?

duncant403
18-12-2003, 09:43
A colleague at work has friends who set up a firm with a name using their surnames - Norfolk and Goode... (say it out loud - or maybe don't :)

Mr_Burns
18-12-2003, 13:15
The local farmer where my parents live is called Rupert Burr - he doesn't wear checked trousers and a scarf though.

Lord Nikon
18-12-2003, 16:37
IBM hired a guy once called Alec Smart...

This isn't amusing you think... until you find out that IBM's internal phone list uses the format Initial, Surname, Forename.

He was in the list as A, Smart, Alec

Flubflow
18-12-2003, 16:59
Donna K. Babs