PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet connection, Telewest

PaulSawers
05-06-2006, 18:06
Hi, hopefully someone here will be able to help me. I'm normally pretty good with IT, techy stuff, so am stumped here.

I have just moved into a new flat, with Telewest Cable/Telephone Broadband. My room has a Motorola Surfboard 5105e (I think) modem. It seems to be working fine, all the lights are on (up until the 'PC ACtivity' light). I get cable fine, and the phone works fine. When I hook my laptop (Packard Bell, Easynote) up to the Modem via an ethernet RJ45 Patch cable, the modem doesn't detect the laptop and vice versa. I have tried the whole, turning the laptop and modem off and then on again, there is just no connection there. The modem says 'online', so it seems like it's getting a signal, it just doesn't like my laptop. Any ideas on how to overcome this? I've been into Network connections, checked everywhere to see if I can get the connection but no joy.

Thanks.

Kliro
05-06-2006, 18:32
Do you have to have a cross over adaptor when using a modem?

Edit; Like this http://cablenbits.com/sitebuilder/images/cat5_xover_adaptor-238x162.jpg

Slyder
05-06-2006, 19:24
When I hook my laptop (Packard Bell, Easynote) up to the Modem via an ethernet RJ45 Patch cable, the modem doesn't detect the laptop and vice versa.

I always thought you had to use crossover cable ? Could be wrong thou. Im assuming both your lappy and desktop are on the same Workgroup ?

homealone
05-06-2006, 19:27
When I hook my laptop (Packard Bell, Easynote) up to the Modem via an ethernet RJ45 Patch cable, the modem doesn't detect the laptop and vice versa.

I always thought you had to use crossover cable ? Could be wrong thou. Im assuming both your lappy and desktop are on the same Workgroup ?

You may be getting confused with set top boxes - some of which do need a crossover, but normal pc to cable modem should be patch (straight through). :)

SimpleSimon
05-06-2006, 19:31
But have you tried a crossover cable yet. You never know this might be the one occasion when you do need one.

Simon

markosoft
05-06-2006, 19:46
A crossover is for when you need to connect two computers together to form a network, cutting out a router / hub.

A patch cable is used to connect pc to device, such as a cable modem.

But have you tried a crossover cable yet. You never know this might be the one occasion when you do need one.

Simon

patrickp
05-06-2006, 20:04
Can your computer see the modem? Try typing http://192.168.100.1/ or http://192.168.100.2/ into your browser address bar.

PaulSawers
06-06-2006, 10:38
Thanks for the replies. I haven't tried using a crossover cable (whatever that is) as everywhere I've read, it says I must use a straight-through, or 'patch' cable. My computer can't see the modem either, it's almost as though it's not connected. I have checked all the connections and it is plugged in. There is only one computer involved here, I don't have a desktop, just a laptop plugged into the modem via ethernet cable. It seems like using a crossover cable might be worth a try then...or is this definitely a non-starter?

tomjleeds
08-06-2006, 22:43
Could it be an issue with your laptop? Sounds stupid I know, but is your network adapter installed (and yes, I have come across this!)?

janipewter
14-06-2006, 00:21
Do you have to have a cross over adaptor when using a modem?

Edit; Like this http://cablenbits.com/sitebuilder/images/cat5_xover_adaptor-238x162.jpg

No, you do not. A Cat5 UTP cable will work fine. By the way, you do have the USB cable unplugged when you have the Ethernet cable in, right? As far as I know, if the surfboard sees both USB and Ethernet plugged in, the USB will take precedence and the Ethernet will not work.

Diadem
14-06-2006, 17:45
If your using ethernet on the 5101e or any of the cable modems
A: its a standart patch NOT at cross over, cross over on the old STB's
B: Do not have the ethernet cable pluged in.

Ok check you network conections screen see if theres a local area connection and do a ipconfig from dos post the results :)

PaulSawers
22-06-2006, 12:08
Right, thanks all for your efforts. After spending almost an hour on the phone to Telewest Support, a solution has been found. I had to reset my IP page or address or something like that, through some DOS operating command. I am now connected via USB (as this didn't work before along with the Ethernet). So anybody else having similar problems to me, this may be worth a try if you know what you're doing. Last time I tried, the ethernet connection still didn't work, but I'm just happy to be hooked up and online.

Diadem
23-06-2006, 19:21
Right, thanks all for your efforts. After spending almost an hour on the phone to Telewest Support, a solution has been found. I had to reset my IP page or address or something like that, through some DOS operating command. I am now connected via USB (as this didn't work before along with the Ethernet). So anybody else having similar problems to me, this may be worth a try if you know what you're doing. Last time I tried, the ethernet connection still didn't work, but I'm just happy to be hooked up and online.

what you would have done is a winsock fix. in dos "netsh winsock reset"

as for usb and ethernet they dont work together its either one or the other :)
glad to hear you got it sorted