PDA

View Full Version : Advice if you please

imback
03-12-2003, 14:14
First things first, I didn't know where else to put this.

Ok, long story that I will try and keep short.

Had my mobile phone stolen from me a few weeks back (Motorola v66i) I claimed on the insurance, which I have through my bank. They processed the claim and said the carphone warehouse would be in touch to arrange a replacement phone.

Well they never did and had to chase them for a week until I found someone who could fine my account. Anyway the finally offered me a choice of phones, some were nice, but none were Motorola. So I said that I would like another Motorola but could appreciate the problems in that the v66 is no longer made.

Anyway after a bit of haggling I asked for the v300 or 500 (both of which are retailing at the same or less than I paid for the v66) They agreed said I'd have to wait a while since they are new and hadn't got any stock yet, so I said fair enough. That was 2 weeks ago.

Got a call from this morning (as I mailed them because their sales department told me they have the phone in stock) now I am being told that while they have them in stock they are for sale only and not replacement. I could however have a v150 (which I don't want)

So basically any suggestions on what to do now?

philip.j.fry
03-12-2003, 14:18
What insurance was it it? Can you claim the money instead and then find another phone from someone else that you like?

I would also argue that you are not asking for a 'replacement' phone. You are asking for a new phone for which the insurance is paying.

imback
03-12-2003, 14:21
What insurance was it it? Can you claim the money instead and then find another phone from someone else that you like?

I would also argue that you are not asking for a 'replacement' phone. You are asking for a new phone for which the insurance is paying.

I am about to ring and ask if I can buy one form their online shop (where they have the phone in stock?) and if they will then pay for it, so will know more about that later.

I think the problem I am having is that the phone I wasnt is selling well and they'd prefer I took one that is sitting on the shelf (since they offerd me a Smasung that was worth the same as the v300)

They are the worst company I have ever had to deal with

EDIT : sorry the insurance is through my banks, I'm insured up to £450 for a damaged or stolen phone

zoombini
03-12-2003, 14:25
If its through your bank then contact them.
They may have better leverage to get your problem sorted out.

Chris
03-12-2003, 14:39
The insurance is with the Bank, not Carphone Warehouse. Unless CW is acting on explicit instructions from the Bank, which may have clauses in your insurance about how it handles replacement of stolen goods, CW has absolutely no right whatsoever to tell you which handset you are allowed to have. I think you suspect rightly, they are trying to fob you off with a less popular model. What is possible, I suppose, is that the Bank has negotiated a corporate discount with CW in exchange for placing all its stolen/replacement business with them. If this is so, they will get more money selling the handset to a 'normal' customer than by giving it to you.

Persist. I don't think they have a leg to stand on.

imback
03-12-2003, 14:47
If its through your bank then contact them.
They may have better leverage to get your problem sorted out.

Been there, they were really nice, and said we have processed your claim, the phone you get is to be sorted out between me and carphone. so they obviously couldn't care if they gave me a solid gold one.

Persist. I don't think they have a leg to stand on.

I hope you are right, because since I have waited 3 weeks already (when it should have been 48 hours) I will get what I want now, where as 3 weeks ago I would have taken what they had offerd :D

Neil
03-12-2003, 15:11
What do the T's & C's of the insurance say?

imback
03-12-2003, 15:12
What do the T's & C's of the insurance say?

I'm have sent off and asked them for a copy since I never got any, but they couldn't care is effectivly what the girl on the phone said, as far as the insurance company are concearned they have proceesed it all and now it's between me and carphone warehouse.