PDA

View Full Version : Did you use to be a CB radio enthusiast?

Millay
05-06-2006, 05:17
I am looking for the model of a certian make of CB, it was manufactured around 94-95 and was a 40 shannel base station, the noticable thing about it was it was all led and backlit.. the buttons were rubber and backlight and the singal meter was a rising scale of led's?

I always wanted one when I was younger but couldnt affor it, I would like to track one down, but cant remember the model number if anyone else can remeber I owuld be most gratfull.

Many thanks
andy

Nidge
05-06-2006, 05:49
I am looking for the model of a certian make of CB, it was manufactured around 94-95 and was a 40 shannel base station, the noticable thing about it was it was all led and backlit.. the buttons were rubber and backlight and the singal meter was a rising scale of led's?

I always wanted one when I was younger but couldnt affor it, I would like to track one down, but cant remember the model number if anyone else can remeber I owuld be most gratfull.

Many thanks
andy

I used to be on the CB radio back in the 80's. I used to have a Cobra 148 GTL DX 180 channels with a 18ft arial on the chimney stack.

Russ
05-06-2006, 08:19
Sounds like one of the Jesan models - lovely looking machines.

marky
05-06-2006, 11:59
Ive got 4, we use them for 4x4 off-road days, they are much better than pmr. :)
But i cant help you with the model you are looking for, Uniden maybe :shrug:

Millay
05-06-2006, 12:00
I think it was a Team unit although could be icom.... but im leaning towards the former...

Graham M
05-06-2006, 12:03
Funnily enough I've got an iCom radio here in front of me as I make my living as a taxi dispatch controller :)

zing_deleted
05-06-2006, 12:07
I had a simple machine with an illegal coiled arial in the loft on a sheet of alli worked a treat.I remember the quiz nights on channel 6 or something lol mines was just basic bandwidth but a guy round the corner had all the other dodgy stations lol

Russ
05-06-2006, 12:10
Ham International Jumbo - anyone remember that? I had mine for years, fully Eprom'd and it looked the shizznit! Outgoing modulation was a bit dodgy because of the components used (Rotel, Colt, Binatone, Harrier all had the same problem) but this was soon rectified with an Astatic Teardrop mic :D

marky
05-06-2006, 12:23
Heres some pics of mine 3 in the house and one in the car.
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/06/20.jpg
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/06/21.jpg
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/06/22.jpg
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/06/23.jpg

smicer07
05-06-2006, 12:40
Are you about to run someone over in the 3rd pic??

marky
05-06-2006, 12:44
Are you about to run someone over in the 3rd pic??
My wife :D

Enuff
05-06-2006, 13:18
I used to have a little Jaws MkII (all led no needle) attached to a 22ft pole, that was back in the 80's tho.. was AM not FM.

Nidge
05-06-2006, 20:06
Funnily enough I've got an iCom radio here in front of me as I make my living as a taxi dispatch controller :)

Tait Radios are the best for Taxis, we used to run ours via a transmitter mast based on the highest point in Nottinghamshire, we used to use BT for the line then a company called RadCom in Nottingham for the airspace, we used to get miles with our radios, if you were in York you could here the radio op as clear as day in Mansfield plus you could speak to them to. We sadly lost our reception when we went auto dispatch we had to go onto a different frequency which meant less power, after the change we had a range of 10 miles.

---------- Post added at 19:05 ---------- Previous post was at 19:03 ----------

Sounds like one of the Jesan models - lovely looking machines.

Yeah it had a black case with a silver front, the 18ft twig used to kick ass though, I think the furthest I got was to a guy in Brighton.

---------- Post added at 19:06 ---------- Previous post was at 19:05 ----------

I used to have a little Jaws MkII (all led no needle) attached to a 22ft pole, that was back in the 80's tho.. was AM not FM.

I remember the old AM frequency, we had to dodge the busbys:D :D :D Can you remember the busby's? The old BT men who used to drive round in the yellow vans?

Enuff
05-06-2006, 20:55
Ye I remember the busby's, on the side, on the side... on the side come alive!! lol... eyeball eyeball... 19 a rig check :D

Graham M
05-06-2006, 21:53
Tait Radios are the best for Taxis, we used to run ours via a transmitter mast based on the highest point in Nottinghamshire, we used to use BT for the line then a company called RadCom in Nottingham for the airspace, we used to get miles with our radios, if you were in York you could here the radio op as clear as day in Mansfield plus you could speak to them to. We sadly lost our reception when we went auto dispatch we had to go onto a different frequency which meant less power, after the change we had a range of 10 miles.

I dont know all the gory details to be honest, I just know through our repeater we manage about 15-20 miles pretty reasonably, the repeater is sat on a common behind our base and the radio we use at base is just a standard In-Car ICOM hooked up to a 12v Power Transformer with a Battery for Backup use. All of our dispatching is done via Cordic (http://www.cordic.co.uk) cPaq anyway but we still keep the radios, again mostly for backup but its handy to be able to talk to the drivers without phoning them

grandmaster
06-06-2006, 11:53

Many thanks
andy

I think the make you wanted was yasu sp? (pronounced yaysu)

Millay
06-06-2006, 13:17
The brand certainly rings a bell, it cant have been that popular, as i cant find any reference to it online....

I seem to rember it being a tad expensive..

grandmaster
06-06-2006, 13:31
try this...

http://www.yaesu.co.uk/yaesu/vhf/vhfstart.htm

grandmaster
06-06-2006, 19:06
What were peoples handles?

Mine was Hocus Pocus..

Jules
06-06-2006, 19:11
I remember when my son was a baby the baby monitor use to pick up my neighbours CB, I use to go to sleep every night listening to the details of his sex life, he was a teenager at the time and he had a hectic life to say the least! We laugh about it now :)

Russ
06-06-2006, 19:22
What were peoples handles?

Mine was Hocus Pocus..

Rainbow Warrior or Einstein.

Escapee
06-06-2006, 21:23
Rainbow Warrior or Einstein.

Organ Grinder

Nidge
07-06-2006, 07:29
Highwayman.

zing_deleted
07-06-2006, 08:13
I was Parker Boy cuz I used to be a mod oh what heady days they were lol

Nanook
07-06-2006, 13:37
The Rover (Midland 4001 AM rig & a DV27 twig on a tin with bako-foil spread out all over the loft.) Stupid name.... I never moved :blush:

Jules
07-06-2006, 13:47
Lol Nanook put it down to youthfullness ;)