PDA

View Full Version : Registration and connection problems

bearing
01-06-2006, 23:16
Hi, have had bb installed for almost a week now and have been unsuccessful in reaching the registration site.

I am running win98 me and have read through the post registering without broadjump cd and followed all the tips in that post and on the links provide to no avail.

I have shut down zone alarm
I have uninstalled aol
I have rebuilt the network components(unchecked communications in windows setup and reloaded)
I have ensured that everything is unchecked in the LAN Settings

When checking the IP through WINIPCFG my IP begins 192, I have powered down both the modem and pc, rebooted the modem, allowed it to settle for five minutes then powered up the pc still to no avail.

When trying to reach http://80.5.178.26 all I get is The Page cannot be displayed. I have had success in reaching the modem with http://192.168.100.1 so at least that part is ok.

I originally tried using the broadjump cd but kept falling at the last with an error 800 message. Called support helpline and the guy there told me I had a problem with ie as error 800 was an ie error, he suggested reinstalling ie. I did this to no avail.

So any ideas.

IanGuy
02-06-2006, 14:09
Registration went down for maintenance around 31/05/06 - So you most probably experienced problems due to this.

The problem has now been resolved.

MagicMan
02-06-2006, 14:19
You say you have unistalled AOL but I bet there are still some components of it left. You can never get rid of it without a full reinstall of Windows. Error 800 doesnt sound like any kind of Internet Explorer error that I've ever seen before.

My advice would be to give it one more go (without the broadjump CD) in IE and see if it works.

If all else fails then I think its time to reinstall Windows to be honest.

bearing
04-06-2006, 00:49
Thanks for the help, have installed windows 2000 onto the machine now, yet to try a connection but have fingers crossed. ;)

bayonet
04-06-2006, 08:27
Ok bearing since you've installed WIN 2K has the IP address changed? and what is the IP address?

Modem lights on the far right should have SYNC and READY solid green if not it's either a network problem (check with the support line) 0r it's a wrongly installed modem (again requiring a call to the support line)

WIN 2K checking IP address Click Start>Run> type in cmd and when you get the DOS box type in ipconfig IP address should be there

Graham M
04-06-2006, 09:58
To be honest looking at that IP address it seems as if there is no signal to the Modem, are the Sync and Ready lights on and stable?

bearing
06-06-2006, 23:29
Thanks for the tips guys, after installing win2k, the problem was still the same(same ip address etc) so I decided to mistrust the installation. As I am a self employed aerial and satellite installer I decided to check the cabling, the first thing to check was the fly lead from the outlet box to the modem and I noticed that the braiding was wrapped around the centre core. Is it any wonder I was having problems, anyway the cable from the grey box outside had the same problem. Once I'd removed the shorts I connected to the registration straight away and then ground to a halt, phoned helpline and was told the pin number he'd given me was for somebody else. He'd have probably done a more proffesional job had he have not been chatting on his phone during the whole installation, I should have seen it all coming as I'd asked him to put on those blue shoe covers when he came in the house so he didn't need to take his boots off(the weather was rather inclement) he put them over his boots and duly wandered off outside with them on. :rolleyes::D

Anyway I'm all up and running now, so thanks for the help anyway.

MagicMan
06-06-2006, 23:51
We have helped you more than you will ever know as now you no longer have Win 98 on your pc. :D