PDA

View Full Version : Roadside Flowers

Salu
01-06-2006, 15:33
http://www.bbc.co.uk/tyne/content/articles/2006/02/23/roadside_memorials_feature.shtml

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4808400.stm

This was being debated on the radio today after it emerged that two councils (can't remember which....maybe Warwickshire..??) have banned them.

Is it the right decision? Are they a potential danger or should everyone be allowed to grieve in their own way?

liamboyle06
01-06-2006, 15:41
I see no harm in placing flowers on the roadside as a memoir. If this is how a family can grieve, so be it.
I think that the drivers that find these distracting should be paying more attention to the road instead of looking around for distractions.

Nugget
01-06-2006, 15:45
I see no harm in placing flowers on the roadside as a memoir. If this is how a family can grieve, so be it.
I think that the drivers that find these distracting should be paying more attention to the road instead of looking around for distractions.

:erm:

By definition, you wouldn't actively be looking for something distracting - that's the nature of it. Unfortunately, some of these tributes that you see are comprosed of about 15 bouquets with teddies and the like, and do catch the eye :shrug:

etccarmageddon
01-06-2006, 15:52
and often are put there for yound lads who have killed themselves after a joy riding adventure or a bit of drink driving. which hopefully illustrates to their peers what can potentially happen.

Jules
01-06-2006, 18:33
I can see why families want to do this

Druchii
01-06-2006, 18:36
I say leave them, there is a tribute next to the iron bridge in Sheffield that always seems to have more writing on it than last time i saw it. It's lovely to see that when the little lad was killed on a crossing that they remember him so much.
The crossing has it's yellow boxes covered in black marker writing messages to him, as does the big green box, and surrounding walls. It's graffiti i guess, but its lovely graffiti showing true feelings, and has of course never been reported to my knowledge, and as such has been allowed to reside there.

spiderplant
01-06-2006, 20:40
Derbyshire County Council used to put fake ones up as a traffic calming measure. There were flowers on almost every lamppost along a stretch of the Woodhead Pass at one point.

etccarmageddon
02-06-2006, 01:23
how bizarre!

Nidge
02-06-2006, 06:09
I see nothing wrong with roadside flowers, it allows the family to greive a little better.