PDA

View Full Version : Another ntl screw up

Zee
01-06-2006, 10:46
Not to sure why how they manage to screw things up, I called technical support yesterday because of the slow speeds Iâ₠™d been getting lately (Last 3 weeks) she told me there was an overload in my area and not to sure when itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢d be sorted which is why sites werenÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t working and which is why Iâ₠™d been getting speeds as low as 300K or less on the 10Mbps service.

She said to keep using my proxy until they sort out the overload.

She then told me she was going to do something to my modem which would improve the speeds, after telling me to go into safe mode with networking and to go to www.microsoft.com (http://www.microsoft.com/) , to download Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool and a load of other bullsh*t/

I did what she asked, turned my modem off and got put on hold.

She came back to tell me to switch the modem on in 10 minutes and itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢d be sorted and Iâ₠™d have much better download speeds.

I waited for a bit and turned the modem on, turned out NOTHING worked, the †œReadyâ €  light on the modem was off, about 5 hours later I called back to tell them this.

Turns out the woman I spoke to before had unregistered my modem from the account, she told me itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢d take 72 hours before Iâ₠™d be able to use the internet again, I explained the woman told me before itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢d take 10 minutes, she said there was nothing she could do and to wait for 72 hours, she said if in 72 hours it still wasnââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t working Iâ₠™d have to arrange for an engineer to come over to register the modem to the account again.

What I donââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t understand is how did me reporting slow speeds turn into this?
Why did she un-register the modem from the account and lie to me saying itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢d take 10 minutes?
Why do they keep accepting new customers in the area if itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s overloaded?
Why does an engineer need to re-register the modem to the account, why canââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t it be done over the phone?

Iâ₠™m in college at the moment posting this, gotta wait till next week or even longer if an engineer is needed to be called out.

Willc0
01-06-2006, 16:08
Why does an engineer need to re-register the modem to the account, why can’t it be done over the phone?
Well that's a lie.

We had issues where the engineer DIDNT register a modem to the account after a house move, one call to Broadband support and we were up and running with in..... wait for it.... 10 minutes.

Bill C
01-06-2006, 16:23
Not to sure why how they manage to screw things up, I called technical support yesterday because of the slow speeds I’d been getting lately (Last 3 weeks) she told me there was an overload in my area and not to sure when it’d be sorted which is why sites weren’t working and which is why I’d been getting speeds as low as 300K or less on the 10Mbps service.

She said to keep using my proxy until they sort out the overload.

She then told me she was going to do something to my modem which would improve the speeds, after telling me to go into safe mode with networking and to go to www.microsoft.com (http://www.microsoft.com/) , to download Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool and a load of other bullsh*t/

I did what she asked, turned my modem off and got put on hold.

She came back to tell me to switch the modem on in 10 minutes and it’d be sorted and I’d have much better download speeds.

I waited for a bit and turned the modem on, turned out NOTHING worked, the “Ready” light on the modem was off, about 5 hours later I called back to tell them this.

Turns out the woman I spoke to before had unregistered my modem from the account, she told me it’d take 72 hours before I’d be able to use the internet again, I explained the woman told me before it’d take 10 minutes, she said there was nothing she could do and to wait for 72 hours, she said if in 72 hours it still wasn’t working I’d have to arrange for an engineer to come over to register the modem to the account again.

What I don’t understand is how did me reporting slow speeds turn into this?
Why did she unregister the modem from the account and lie to me saying it’d take 10 minutes?
Why do they keep accepting new customers in the area if it’s overloaded?
Why does an engineer need to re-register the modem to the account, why can’t it be done over the phone?

I’m in college at the moment posting this, gotta wait till next week or even longer if an engineer is needed to be called out.

You have been told complete and utter bull****. It does not take 72 hours and if i was you i would be screaming blue murder at them to fix it now. Anyone with a ounce of intelligence should be able to fix your problem using blue tools and sabs acka harmony. But there again it will be good old India who will deal with you, If i was you i would start looking HERE (http://www.samknows.com/broadband/) and HERE (http://www.bt.com/index.jsp) for other options.

khado
01-06-2006, 17:26
typical NTL, is there anything they wont do lose customers

Zee
01-06-2006, 19:14
Ok, i'm up and running again from home, after another call to good old India.

They are sending out someone anyway because of the speed issues, i'm getting Dial Up speeds now, about 4KB/s transfer rate from good servers like Microsoft.

Even though i'm getting 56K on my 10Mbps service, atleast it's working, right? lol ...

Chris W
01-06-2006, 19:25
You have been told complete and utter bull****. It does not take 72 hours and if i was you i would be screaming blue murder at them to fix it now. Anyone with a ounce of intelligence should be able to fix your problem using blue tools and sabs acka harmony. But there again it will be good old India who will deal with you, If i was you i would start looking HERE (http://www.samknows.com/broadband/) and HERE (http://www.bt.com/index.jsp) for other options.

Urm actually there is less bull in this than you think.

Normally removing and readding a modem takes 10minutes. However, if the modem get stuck "pending delete" or "pending create" then it can take upto 72hours to resolve. An "ounce of intelligence" doesn't help at all if a modem gets stuck pending, so perhaps before you slag off ntl's staff then you should consider all the factors.

In this case the OP was indeed misinformed, there would have been no need to send an engineer. Worst case scenario- first line support escalate to BBST, who send details to FMET, who escalate to Harmony Ops if it still can't be resolved. Realistic time scale- 72hours.

Bill C
01-06-2006, 19:56
Urm actually there is less bull in this than you think.

Normally removing and readding a modem takes 10minutes. However, if the modem get stuck "pending delete" or "pending create" then it can take upto 72hours to resolve. An "ounce of intelligence" doesn't help at all if a modem gets stuck pending, so perhaps before you slag off ntl's staff then you should consider all the factors.

In this case the OP was indeed misinformed, there would have been no need to send an engineer. Worst case scenario- first line support escalate to BBST, who send details to FMET, who escalate to Harmony Ops if it still can't be resolved. Realistic time scale- 72hours.

So at the end of the day he was misinformed and the fault was not fixed the first time. It then took more calls on a paid for number to get it fixed, Nice little earner for NTL, If they keep that up they might be able to buy a proper billing system. Sorry but i stick by what i said.

Toto
01-06-2006, 21:03
So at the end of the day he was misinformed and the fault was not fixed the first time. It then took more calls on a paid for number to get it fixed, Nice little earner for NTL, If they keep that up they might be able to buy a proper billing system. Sorry but i stick by what i said.

Well actually, I think ntl may not have had all the facts presented to them, and may have in fact tried to help him pretty well. It looks like the problem was actually the computer, seems to be infected with a rather nasty trojan/virus/spyware injection into an SVCHOST file.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=752312#post752312

Zee
02-06-2006, 14:13
Engineer just left, tested the line, got between 2-4Mbps he said that the 10Mbps package hasn't been fully released in this area, which is what he was told over the phone by a manager. He said he was suprised they were offering the 10Mbps package in this area.

He said there is planned maintenence in about a months time which would improve it in this area, he also said they are still planning to scrap 1 & 4 meg.

Atleast i know it isn't me.