PDA

View Full Version : Can't send large (500kb) e-mails? Help!

brown rhino
31-05-2006, 11:39
Hi all. I'm new to this forum so hope I'm posting in the right place for my query.
Well, as the title suggests, I'm having problems with my e-mail. It started about three weeks ago when I noticed that I could no longer send large-ish e-mails. I can receive them no problem just not send.
I'm using NTL Broadband modem. I've Avast virus protection, with Ad-Watch and Spyguard running for spyware protection.
I've had no new installations as far as I can remember.
I was recommended this forum by another forum (TheDVDsforum) and they suggested looking at MTU's and hosting webspace with links to my mails etc which is lost on me.
Everyone I send to has had no problems with their mail and I could send to them myself until, like I say, about three weeks ago. I know I could've rang NTL up but the cost of the call is a bit too high for me and I've not had much luck with the phone service in the past.
Present company accepted of course.

Paul K
31-05-2006, 11:46
How are you sending? Via software or through the web interface? Do you get any error messages at all? Also have you tried logging into your account via the webmail login and then check what you have in your inbox, sent items and deleted items bins as they may be full which would cause issues.
You could try a work around of a gmail account that has no serious file size restriction.

zing_deleted
31-05-2006, 11:50
:welcome: are they a normal file type you have sent before? It could be that the file type is being rejected try zipping them

brown rhino
31-05-2006, 12:13
I'm using Microsoft Outlook 2003. Another thing I forgot to mention was that I use Mozilla Firefox but like I said nothings changed in the last month. It's just started to fail.
I send the mail, it goes to my outbox and in the bottom right hand part of the screen it shows it's sending. After about 20 seconds my send/receive box appears to tell me that sending failed. It then remains in my outbox where it will try and send it 15 minutes later, again failing. I just delete it from there and curse.
As for files being of a different kind and not being "sendable" they're all the same kinds of stuff I've had no problems with before.
Have NTL started to block large e-mail attachments?

Paul K
31-05-2006, 12:15
Does it give a reason for sending to fail? Can you try again and let us no what message comes up?
As to blocking large attachments, 1/2Mb is not that large.

brown rhino
31-05-2006, 12:43
Does it give a reason for sending to fail? Can you try again and let us no what message comes up?
As to blocking large attachments, 1/2Mb is not that large.
Tried sending a file the size 994kb, after 20 seconds:-

! Task 'pop.ntlworld.com - Sending' reported error (0X8004210B); 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the send (SMTP) server. If the problem continues contact your service administrator or ISP.

When it tried to send again (not 15mins as stated earlier, 2 mins) it said

! Task 'pop.ntlworld.com - Sending' reported error (0X800CCC0B); unknown error

Richy99
31-05-2006, 13:25
try removing the account in outlook and resetting it back up and also disable the antivirus scanner on outgoing email if possible

JediMaster
31-05-2006, 16:40
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=large+files+0X800CCC0B+unknown+error&meta=

some helpful links there maybe....

is the file damaged?

brown rhino
01-06-2006, 10:39
try removing the account in outlook and resetting it back up and also disable the antivirus scanner on outgoing email if possible
No idea how to remove/reset the account. I'm just not that clued up I'm afraid. I tried disabling my avast antivirus as per a suggestion on another forum but it made no difference.

As per Jedi's question, the files are sound. It's not just on the one file it's any over 500kb (give or take a few kb). I remember one file was four or five pictures that totalled 800kb, it wouldn't send as one mail but I could send the pictures one at a time as they were only 200kb each.
It's definately a size problem (so say the women)

Richy99
01-06-2006, 18:22
well i just sent a 1meg file to my gmail account via smtp.ntlworld.com and went theu fine, im guessing its a local issue to your machine

delete the account in tools - accounts then put all the settings back in like when ytou first set the account up, or did you get somsone else to setup outlook for you?

brown rhino
01-06-2006, 22:32
well i just sent a 1meg file to my gmail account via smtp.ntlworld.com and went theu fine, im guessing its a local issue to your machine

delete the account in tools - accounts then put all the settings back in like when ytou first set the account up, or did you get somsone else to setup outlook for you?
The account was set up by me using the set up disc that came with my modem. This is the second pc that I've used it on. Everything was fine since I got this pc in say, early Feb' but it just went t*ts up about three weeks ago (incidentally, broadband medic says that everything's working fine when it runs a test).
I'll try the delete account thing and if I mess it up I'll just ring the NTL "hotline" which I would probably have to do anyway by the sounds of things.
Thanks guys.