PDA

View Full Version : connection keeps dropping.

saint
30-05-2006, 19:21
for the last 3 days I've been having problems with my net. the d/s and u/s lights on my cable modem keep going off and/or flashing causing the net to either slow right down or go off every half hour(ish). I phoned up tech support and they did all the test etc told me my connection was working.

I've been looking through other threads and some stickies, about the ntl connection info etc. and mine all seems within range. I'm on 10mb ntl using a linksys wired router, windows xp/mcafee and i havent changed anything on the pc recently. I just dont understand why it keeps going off and slowing down.

ps. for example, when writing this thread, a letter takes about 5 seconds to appear after I have typed it.

Paul K
30-05-2006, 19:28
Sounds a bit strange that your typing takes that long to appear. If your lights are not locking then there must be an issue somewhere, can you try rebooting the PC but tell McAfee to not run at windows start up before you reboot to see if a firewall issue is causing it?
BTW did you call them or check your signal strengths etc while the connection was down or was it afterwards?

Enuff
30-05-2006, 19:39
Sounds a bit iffy... keyloggers can have that effect with delayed text! Do a full system scan or... try starting up in safe mode with networking and see if your connection works ok and without the text lagging?

saint
30-05-2006, 19:40
sorry the typing issue was my mistake, it was just the cpu @ 100% causing lag.

I phoned tech support about an hour ago, after the net had gone off again. I tried a restart without mcafee running on startup and I get the same issue. Im pretty sure that the issue is with ntl and not my pc as I have a laptop running off the router and the same problems occur on that.

Upon checking my signal levels I recieved the following..

Downstream Receive Power Level : 7.11 dBmv Downstream SNR : 34.14 dB Upstream Transmit Power Level : 46.00 dBmv
everything seems to be at either the high or lower end of the scale from what i gather, hope this info helps and if u need any other info please ask.

edit: i noticed in other threads people stating the type of modem I had, mine is a 120 if that makes a difference.