PDA

View Full Version : Car troubles

liamboyle06
30-05-2006, 12:34
Hi All, as you may be aware, i have a '97 1.4 Clio Maxim S.
during the past 2 months, I have spent a fortune on it,
I Have had to get:
a new Altenator, New battery, New Brakes, 2 new tyres, New Clutch, new Exhaust. I have also had it serviced with new filters, plugs, oil, what ever else goes aloong with it.

Problem is, it seems to be drinking petrol, like i drink beer. I get about 100-150 miles for a full tank and that costs about £30 to fill - is their any way the fuel consumption can be bettered in any way, or is the car just dying on me and I dont want to admit the inevitable.
another thing is the RCL/Imobiliser, is acting up on me. I have to constantly keep handling the sensor in the roof to get it to disarm - any words of advice would be grateful.

homealone
30-05-2006, 12:45
hmm, looks like you are getting about 15mpg - that has to be more than just 'wear & tear'. Did whoever did the service check the emissions, as running that rich will put them way up.

- as a comparison my 1.4 Honda Jazz does around 40mpg, on average, more on a 'run'.

Difficult to say what it might be, you say the filters were changed, which I assume included the air intake filter, however you may want to look to ensure there is nothing blocking the air intake - otherwise it might be a fault with the engine management....

- can't comment on the immobiliser, though.

Nugget
30-05-2006, 12:48
Well, I'll let my learned wee chum comment on the mpg issue, but the remote central locking problem could simply be because the battery's on the way out - mine's been playing silly buggers for ages, but I haven't got round to buying the new battery.

monkey2468
30-05-2006, 14:04
I changed the air intake filter on my 2L vectra and instead of getting 28mpg I now get 36!

handyman
30-05-2006, 15:44
Hmm we get 260 out of £23.
And the tax is £40 for a year :)

Nugget
30-05-2006, 15:52
Hmm we get 260 out of £23.
And the tax is £40 for a year :)

Yeah, but your car is powered by clockwork ;) :p:

liamboyle06
30-05-2006, 15:53
Well, I'll let my learned wee chum comment on the mpg issue, but the remote central locking problem could simply be because the battery's on the way out - mine's been playing silly buggers for ages, but I haven't got round to buying the new battery.

Sorry forgot to include that the battery in the Key is a new battery also, well its about 2mths old and that was changed directly at Renault £22 for a car battery :Yikes: .

All air filters were changed, and from what I can see, there is no blocking or clogging anywhere.

Nugget
30-05-2006, 15:54
Sorry forgot to include that the battery in the Key is a new battery also, well its about 2mths old and that was changed directly at Renault £22 for a car battery :Yikes: .

All air filters were changed, and from what I can see, there is no blocking or clogging anywhere.

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

22 quid!!!!!! When I rang our local Vauxhall dealership about a new battery for my key, they told me it would be 4!

Nidge
30-05-2006, 16:22
Hi All, as you may be aware, i have a '97 1.4 Clio Maxim S.
during the past 2 months, I have spent a fortune on it,
I Have had to get:
a new Altenator, New battery, New Brakes, 2 new tyres, New Clutch, new Exhaust. I have also had it serviced with new filters, plugs, oil, what ever else goes aloong with it.

Problem is, it seems to be drinking petrol, like i drink beer. I get about 100-150 miles for a full tank and that costs about £30 to fill - is their any way the fuel consumption can be bettered in any way, or is the car just dying on me and I dont want to admit the inevitable.
another thing is the RCL/Imobiliser, is acting up on me. I have to constantly keep handling the sensor in the roof to get it to disarm - any words of advice would be grateful.

I'd drop some Redex into your petrol tank the next time you fill up.

homealone
30-05-2006, 16:26

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

22 quid!!!!!! When I rang our local Vauxhall dealership about a new battery for my key, they told me it would be 4!

Our Rover used to be expensive to renew the fob battery, afaik it was because they had to re-synchronise the key fob codes with the immobiliser, so it was paying for the technicians time, rather than only the battery. Still extortionate, though ....

Nugget
30-05-2006, 16:32
Our Rover used to be expensive to renew the fob battery, afaik it was because they had to re-synchronise the key fob codes with the immobiliser, so it was paying for the technicians time, rather than only the battery. Still extortionate, though ....

When I bought the car, the dealer actually told me that, to re-sync the key fob, you just need to hold down the 'unlock' button when turning the key in the ignition. Whether that works in all cars I dunno, but apparently it's going to save me a fortune.

Nidge
30-05-2006, 16:33

When I had a Mondeo the fob went down on that, it cost me £14 at Fords in Mansfield.

Tuftus
30-05-2006, 16:41
If it's any help there is a friendly french car section in this forum -

http://www.gsfcarparts.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=15