PDA

View Full Version : installing new modem

hardtarget
28-05-2006, 13:00
can i use my mates ntl broadband modem?
his one is newer than mine(mines that old big grey/silver one)
he cancelled his broadand months ago and he offered it to me,
do i just take the old one out and plug the new one in or do i have to install everything all over again?
his one is about 1 year old
hardtarget is online now Report Bad Post Edit/Delete Message

Paul K
28-05-2006, 13:14
It's not your mates modem to offer you.

SnoopZ
28-05-2006, 13:18
As Paul said, also it won't work if you plug it in as the MAC address has to be registered to you're NTL account, and NTL won't be able to do that as it's not you're modem.

zing_deleted
28-05-2006, 13:24
This part of it I do not understand.
No one here is trying to steal anything.
We all know ntl dont bother to pick up modems and stuff and its easy for ntl to change details of one modem to another.
A good ex ntl friend of mine whilst still workimg for ntl swapped my modem for a new one and it took 5 mins.
I personally cant see why this modem cant be allocated to the different users account after all if ntl had it back then it would be recycled, someone one day will get it.
Now if its an attempt to steal a service then its wrong but its just some guy wanting to use an ex customers modem because its newer.I see no problems this could afterall save a call out and replacement later if and when the old modem cant cut the mustard.

hardtarget
28-05-2006, 13:42
This part of it I do not understand.
No one here is trying to steal anything.
We all know ntl dont bother to pick up modems and stuff and its easy for ntl to change details of one modem to another.
A good ex ntl friend of mine whilst still workimg for ntl swapped my modem for a new one and it took 5 mins.
I personally cant see why this modem cant be allocated to the different users account after all if ntl had it back then it would be recycled, someone one day will get it.
Now if its an attempt to steal a service then its wrong but its just some guy wanting to use an ex customers modem because its newer.I see no problems this could afterall save a call out and replacement later if and when the old modem cant cut the mustard.
so how did he do it?
cant we just use the broadband installation cd rom,

btw.. hes had the modem for over a year in his shed and its just collecting dust,
so its better to use it than leave it there

zing_deleted
28-05-2006, 13:50
it has to be set up at castle ntl mate he just had access to the system.It was all above board.You could try asking ntl and seeing

hardtarget
28-05-2006, 13:52
it has to be set up at castle ntl mate he just had access to the system.It was all above board.You could try asking ntl and seeing
someoen else said i could just tell ntl my modem mac address and they will log it,

is this true?

zing_deleted
28-05-2006, 13:57
well thats what you would hope would happen

hardtarget
09-06-2006, 15:25
what if i use my broadband installation cd to install everything all over again?

or will they give me a new modem if i ask them without the callout fee of £25?

handyman
09-06-2006, 16:02
Ntl will not add a different modem to your account.

Out of interest why do you want a new modem?

hardtarget
09-06-2006, 16:12
i have had this one since 2001,
i cant upload more than 200k when i should be able to upload 512 cos i have 10mb,

its not my pc thats for sure,
must be the modem

AbyssUnderground
09-06-2006, 20:49
i have had this one since 2001,
i cant upload more than 200k when i should be able to upload 512 cos i have 10mb,

its not my pc thats for sure,
must be the modem

You aren't on 10Mbps if you are only uploading at 200Kbps. 200Kbps upload is for 2Mbps broadband.

deathtrap3000
09-06-2006, 21:05
What if you were having trouble with an old modem and ntl came to change it. If what u lot were saying this wouldnt work...

I think thats the case anyway!

Jules
09-06-2006, 21:23
If you are not getting the upload speeds then you need to ring them and if it is the modems fault they will give you a new one any way, I think the first thing you need to do is check which speed you are on :)

hardtarget
10-06-2006, 00:01
im on 10mb