PDA

View Full Version : Unfair Rates of Pay...

Pia
28-05-2006, 10:09
Okay, i'm gonna have a bit of a rant here but i'm soooo annoyed!:afire:

Right, i've worked in a hotel since i left school in 2001, (5 years) though i've never moved up the ladder seeing as i got pregnant in 2002 and went back to work part-time in 2003, so i've always been on the minimum wage.

Just recently i found out that 2 lads i work with who are the same age/younger than me are on the upper min wage (£5.05) even though the do the same job as me (I'm on £4.25). .. Apparently it was because they had done a temporary supervisors position and the pay had never been changed.:rolleyes:

So as you can imagine i kicked up a bit of a stink about it, though i never actually went to see the manager about it...

Anyway because of this i have been feeling a bit low about work and not working as hard etc... So last week the General Manager got me up to her office and told me she had noticed i'd been slacking at work and could i pull me socks up. I said yeah of course, i realise i've been lazy and she was right to pull me about it.

Then she said she had heard i was annoyed about the 2 lads being on more money than me and that she would put my pay up to £4.85 on the condition i worked as hard as i used to and as long as nobody else found out. (She said i was worth it because i had 5 years service) I accepted it and thanked her since it's better than nothing, though still miffed that she couldn't put me up to £5.05 like the other 2 have got.

Anyway i had an interesting conversation last night with some of the 17-year old 'casual' staff, and it turns out some of them have been on £4.85 since they started!!!
I'm sooo annoyed, because my job can be a lot harder than theirs, it involves a bigger scale of work and more responsibility. Basically all they do is serve in the restaurant or functions within a bigger team of them. I look ater the whole Lounge and Room Service side of it and Bars which is hard work because I do it on my own..
The GM pretty much made it sound like i was going to be on more money than people like that and that it was exclusive to me.
But after finding this out i now know that all this time all those people have been on a higher rate of pay than me and it seriously makes me feel like crying!!

:afire::grind::afire::grind::afire::grind::rant:

iain_herts
28-05-2006, 10:38
hi PIA i know how u feel. if u look at the site below it will tell u what the min wage is and seems they have been takeing the **** with u.

http://www.is4profit.com/busadvice/nationalminimumwage/nmw2.htm

* The main rate for workers aged 22 and over is currently set at £5.05 an hour. On 1 October 2006 this will increase to £5.35

* The development rate for 18-21 year olds is currently set at £4.25 an hour this will increase to £4.45 on 1 October 2006

* The development rate for 16-17 years olds. This rate is £3.00 an hour. This will increase on 1 October 2006 to £3.30 an hour

* On 1 October 2006 the rate of the accommodation offset will increase to £29.05 per week (£4.15 per day). The current rate is £27.30 per week (£3.90 per day)

Pia
28-05-2006, 10:40
Thanks iain, they have been taking the mick but they haven't actually gone out of those guidelines so technically haven't done anything wrong, that's what gets me about it:(

Stuartbe
28-05-2006, 10:43
Are you a member of a union ? If not you could joing someone like the TGWU. When I had a dispute with a company I worked for years ago they were fantastic.

Perhaps you should write a letter to the head office personel (if its a chain of hotels) and explain whats been hapening.

You are in a good position becouse after you work for a company for two years or more it is very hard for them to get rid of you. You have certain legal rights !

Pia
28-05-2006, 10:47
No i'm not a member of a union, but to be honest even if i was i'd have no chance, our GM is no good at anything practical, or at personnel skills, but when it comes to anything like this she has all areas covered and would never be found doing anything wrong.

I guess this is all just morally wrong rather than policy breaking stuff.

Florence
28-05-2006, 10:54
Looks like its tell the GM how you feel or start to look around for another job, then only option left if you dont want to do either of those is to just carry on as normal.

Pia
28-05-2006, 11:06
Looks like its tell the GM how you feel or start to look around for another job, then only option left if you dont want to do either of those is to just carry on as normal.

I think i will go talk to her next week, i just hate talking to her she's unapproachable when it comes to money, she's an accountant:rolleyes:

Chimaera
28-05-2006, 11:22
Vote with your feet and look for another job Pia - they are probably assuming that as you have stayed there so long they can do as they like with you. And as you have a little 'un I'm assuming you have stayed because it's convenient - that makes them think they can take the p even more. I know because I've had the same sort of thing happen to me, but only found out about the difference in salary between me and a male colleague too late for the union to take action over it.
Don't put up with it - go elsewhere to a company that will appreciate you! ;)

Florence
28-05-2006, 11:24
well her accounting has slipped up a little there is the equal pay and if you are doing same jobs then you have the same pay regardless of sex.

equal pay laws. (http://www.hrmguide.co.uk/diversity/equal_pay_laws.htm)

also this website is full of information http://www.eoc.org.uk/

this one is worth looking at as this is where she will go for advice :D http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/layer?topicId=1073858787&tc=000KW021323429

greencreeper
28-05-2006, 12:16
I really don't see why companies cannot have a clear pay scale. My mum works for the CPS - they have grades and a salary for that grade. Everyone knows everyone else's grade and by extension, pay. No arguments. Where I work, it is strictly forbidden to discuss pay, basically because different people, though the same grade, are on different salaries. The explanation is that one person may be better than another. My response is that if one person is better than another, promote that person to a higher grade. Really is crap. Like Chimera says - all about explotation. No loyalty anymore. Dog eat dog. Have to fight to be recognised and given the appropriate pay.

timewarrior2001
28-05-2006, 13:27
OK Pia, you have really two options, but if you combine it right you have three.

Option 1.
Ask to speak to your GM for anformal chat about pay.
Ask her if you are being penalised because you work part time or are a single mother or because you are female. State you are unhappy about the state of things, explain you have looked into the minimum wage guiodelines and you can quote the rates of pay for given age groups. Whilst you acknowledge there is no wrong doping on your pay scale ask about why some staff get more and why you have recently been given a pay rise to put you in line with poeple who have recently started. Mention discrimination as much as you can and say you are prepared to work to 100% of your ability, but expect things to change or you will seek further legal advice.

Option 2
Get a new job

Option 3

Kick up such a fuss like in option 1, go looking for other jobs like in option 2, persue a claim for constructive dismissal against the hotel and goi to the national press, drag the hotels name through the gutter and sit back laughing your ass off.

I have recently been involved in a massive dispute at work over contracts. I have spent the last 2.5 years working as a contractor, I got my paper work through after 12 months for a full time contract and respective pay rise, unfortunately the same day I received a first and final written warning in a formal disciplinary hearing. My contract was torn up.
Since the new year, ther is now a £1300 a year pay gap between contractors and full time staff, full time sdtaff getting more money and more benefits than the contractors for doing the same job. I've threatened legal action claiming discrimination (all contracts handed out over the last year have gone to women) People who I have trained have been given contracts, so I told them you have seven days to give me a ful explanation in writing or I am off, in your time, to see a solicitor. Guess what I got?

A contract.

So it does pay to complain, but you have to have proof and enough circumstancial evidence to make them worry, when they are on the back foot you will get what you want.

Advise the GM if she cannot settle this then you are prepared to take it higher.

---------- Post added at 12:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 ----------

I really don't see why companies cannot have a clear pay scale. My mum works for the CPS - they have grades and a salary for that grade. Everyone knows everyone else's grade and by extension, pay. No arguments. Where I work, it is strictly forbidden to discuss pay, basically because different people, though the same grade, are on different salaries. The explanation is that one person may be better than another. My response is that if one person is better than another, promote that person to a higher grade. Really is crap. Like Chimera says - all about explotation. No loyalty anymore. Dog eat dog. Have to fight to be recognised and given the appropriate pay.

Theyu tried to make it gross misconduct to discuss pay where I work, but they were taken to court and it illegal. So I'd flaunt it if I were you.
You can discuss your pay to someone else and they can discuss their pay with you, but you cannot discuss someone elses pay who isnt present.

Anonymouse
28-05-2006, 16:26
They tried to make it gross misconduct to discuss pay where I work, but they were taken to court and it illegal. So I'd flaunt it if I were you.
You can discuss your pay to someone else and they can discuss their pay with you, but you cannot discuss someone elses pay who isnt present.
That reminds me of something I read in Darrell Huff's delightful little book "How To Lie With Statistics". A manager told an employee his salary details were strictly confidential, and he told the manager, "Don't worry - I'm as ashamed of it as you are." :D

Seriously, though, it sounds like discrimination, Pia. I'm sure something could be done.

Pia
28-05-2006, 18:00
OK Pia, you have really two options, but if you combine it right you have three.

Option 1.
Ask to speak to your GM for anformal chat about pay.
Ask her if you are being penalised because you work part time or are a single mother or because you are female. State you are unhappy about the state of things, explain you have looked into the minimum wage guiodelines and you can quote the rates of pay for given age groups. Whilst you acknowledge there is no wrong doping on your pay scale ask about why some staff get more and why you have recently been given a pay rise to put you in line with poeple who have recently started. Mention discrimination as much as you can and say you are prepared to work to 100% of your ability, but expect things to change or you will seek further legal advice.

This is a very good option... In fact this is the one i will do.

BUT, do i really have grounds for complaint or am i just being nit-picky?
I need to know that i have a good complaint before i speak to her otherwise i'm likely to back down when she starts waffling on crap...

I'm not ready to leave my job yet, i enjoy it, this is the only bugbear i have at the moment.

handyman
28-05-2006, 18:41
Pia you should aim a bit higher I think the useless guy on the lowest wage at our place is on £8.12 per hour when you add in the monthly bonus £6.66 without.
There a sales place over here that do a £15,000 basic and commision on top. I'm sure you would be able to get something like that. What about working for Orange?

Pia
28-05-2006, 18:47
Pia you should aim a bit higher I think the useless guy on the lowest wage at our place is on £8.12 per hour when you add in the monthly bonus £6.66 without.
There a sales place over here that do a £15,000 basic and commision on top. I'm sure you would be able to get something like that. What about working for Orange?

I know i'm in a crappy job, but to be honest my options are limited at the moment because i don't think i'd get another job and be able to dictate when i work, i.e have set weekdays, part time..etc.

It suits me where i am, because i work my set days, and i work overtime when i want to. Plus i wouldn't want to sit on my backside all day answering a phone.

greencreeper
28-05-2006, 19:04
Plus i wouldn't want to sit on my backside all day answering a phone.
:shocked: It pays well-ish! :D

Are you really happy where you are, or are you just lacking in confidence - the confidence needed to move from the "safety" of a job you know, working with people you know, to a job where, initially, you won't know what you're doing or who you're working with?

Maggy
28-05-2006, 19:07
I know i'm in a crappy job, but to be honest my options are limited at the moment because i don't think i'd get another job and be able to dictate when i work, i.e have set weekdays, part time..etc.

It suits me where i am, because i work my set days, and i work overtime when i want to. Plus i wouldn't want to sit on my backside all day answering a phone.

Pia I know you think you can't do better and that it fits in with your lifestyle but why should you accept second best just because she thinks you know no better.:shrug:

I think an option not mentioned in the thread thus far is you keeping the crappy job but getting some kind of access course set up at college so you can get some better qualifications.With better qualifications you can get a better job and better pay.The colleges are at present sending out their prospectus for September.You should find all the local ones in your library.Take a look and see what they may offer you.As the present government are trying to improve the skills of people 16-25 through local colleges you might find something to suit.

CoggyXXXX

Angua
28-05-2006, 19:11

But that doesn't mean you should put up with 2nd class treatment regardless of your hours/home situation. You could try re-training in your spare time for something you want or to better your chances. IIRC the hotel trade is very limited as to your promotion prospects in so far as if you start as a chamber maid the best you can do is houskeeper but for management you have to start in the appropriate area and work up.

Pia
30-05-2006, 01:14
Plus i wouldn't want to sit on my backside all day answering a phone. :shocked: It pays well-ish! :D

Are you really happy where you are, or are you just lacking in confidence - the confidence needed to move from the "safety" of a job you know, working with people you know, to a job where, initially, you won't know what you're doing or who you're working with?

That could be it, but at the moment as it stands i have it easy. I have thought about doing something totally different but that means leaving my comfort zone and i'm totally not ready for that.
I'm stuck in a rut because i started there as soon as i left school, even though i was gonna go to college, and so most ofl my friends are at work and i can work when it suits me and i do pocket some tips even though it's against policy...:disturbd::angel:
I was thinking about going to college in September anyway and doing a part time course in I.T or something like that, since all i've got is 7 C+ GCSE's and an NVQ:disturbd:

Maggy
30-05-2006, 01:18
Plus i wouldn't want to sit on my backside all day answering a phone. :shocked: It pays well-ish! :D

That could be it, but at the moment as it stands i have it easy. I have thought about doing something totally different but that means leaving my comfort zone and i'm totally not ready for that.
I'm stuck in a rut because i started there as soon as i left school, even though i was gonna go to college, and so most ofl my friends are at work and i can work when it suits me and i do pocket some tips even though it's against policy...:disturbd::angel:
I was thinking about going to college in September anyway and doing a part time course in I.T or something like that, since all i've got is 7 C+ GCSE's and an NVQ:disturbd:

With those qualifications you deserve to do better.Time for your child's sake to get out of the rut or before you know it your son will be taking his GCSE's.

This is what is really peeing you off.You have the intellegence to be doing your boss''s job.;)

idi banashapan
30-05-2006, 02:05
welcome to the world of the worker!!

i think all companies are the same on this one. there's always a few who seem to be unjustly affected by this sort of thing.

in fact, a couple of months ago, we had our annual reviews. the results of which directly affect our pay review for the April. we work by a rating system. my rating came out as 'exceeds criteria for role', which is highest bar one 'outstanding' which by all intents and purposes is unobtainable by mere mortals of flesh and bone. I suppose that's the plan though. anywho, i thought i'd be in for a good shout when it came to the pay. but alas, my pay increase was only £50 more than someone who got a 'meets criteria for role' and 3 times less than someone else who got an 'exceeds criteria for role', even though they had been off work for 6 months of the last year, does not work the shift pattern (even though they get the shift allowance), but is very pally with the manager.

so, all the shift covering, volunteering for tasks and projects and extra work beyond my teams scope that I did could easily have been replaced by simply having the same views about something as my manager - HEY PRESTO! a nice pay rise. hell, i could even have had a few months off work too...

well, i learned that one the hard way!

and as for the qualifications side of things, I honestly don't think they affect your chances as much as one is led to believe. I'm 27, have 10 GCSEs, a National Diploma with Distinction, a Higher National Diploma with Merit and Distinction and a BA (hons) degree at 2.1 and I still haven't broken 30k a year... some things just aren't meant to be.... So don't worry about 'only' having 7 GCSEs. just present youself well and take a jump. I'm a bit like you are now - afraid to leap too far, that's why I'm still stuck down here. go for it I say. be braver than me!

Maggy
30-05-2006, 03:41
welcome to the world of the worker!!

i think all companies are the same on this one. there's always a few who seem to be unjustly affected by this sort of thing.

in fact, a couple of months ago, we had our annual reviews. the results of which directly affect our pay review for the April. we work by a rating system. my rating came out as 'exceeds criteria for role', which is highest bar one 'outstanding' which by all intents and purposes is unobtainable by mere mortals of flesh and bone. I suppose that's the plan though. anywho, i thought i'd be in for a good shout when it came to the pay. but alas, my pay increase was only £50 more than someone who got a 'meets criteria for role' and 3 times less than someone else who got an 'exceeds criteria for role', even though they had been off work for 6 months of the last year, does not work the shift pattern (even though they get the shift allowance), but is very pally with the manager.

so, all the shift covering, volunteering for tasks and projects and extra work beyond my teams scope that I did could easily have been replaced by simply having the same views about something as my manager - HEY PRESTO! a nice pay rise. hell, i could even have had a few months off work too...

well, i learned that one the hard way!

and as for the qualifications side of things, I honestly don't think they affect your chances as much as one is led to believe. I'm 27, have 10 GCSEs, a National Diploma with Distinction, a Higher National Diploma with Merit and Distinction and a BA (hons) degree at 2.1 and I still haven't broken 30k a year... some things just aren't meant to be.... So don't worry about 'only' having 7 GCSEs. just present youself well and take a jump. I'm a bit like you are now - afraid to leap too far, that's why I'm still stuck down here. go for it I say. be braver than me!

I think Bender is probably right about the qualification angle but absolutely correct in suggesting that you need to be brave.Seems to me that your self esteem needs some boosting Pia which why that IT course might just be the very thing to give you some self esteem back.You need to believe in yourself before others will.

Pia
30-05-2006, 21:44
Thanks a lot:) I will definitely look into doing an I.T course at college.

I think it's my lack of knowledge about college that puts me off aswell, because i'm sure i was once told that with I.T you have to start with a load of little courses that you pay out for before you'll be accepted on a proper one...
I'd quite like to start by learning things i don't already know. I can imagine spending 10 weeks on a course that will teach me how to log onto Windows and open the start menu:rolleyes::D
I don't have a clue about it and that's why i've put it off for so long.

It'll be at this college here http://www.darlington.ac.uk/index.asp?id=205 just need to have a proper look at what courses i can do.

Chimaera
30-05-2006, 21:54
I think now they are so keen to get people to do IT courses that a lot of them are free, particularly the basic ones, the expense will come if you need a creche place for your little boy, having overheard a conversation when I was booking up my evening class last week.
You will get help with the fees (if applicable) if you are on any benefits - just take proof along when you go and book.
Good luck and enjoy!

Pia
30-05-2006, 21:57
I think now they are so keen to get people to do IT courses that a lot of them are free, particularly the basic ones, the expense will come if you need a creche place for your little boy, having overheard a conversation when I was booking up my evening class last week.
You will get help with the fees if you are on any benefits - just take proof along when you go and book.
Good luck and enjoy!
I get tax credit since i only work part time so it should be free, if anything i hope i'll get some sort of grant:rofl::disturbd:

Angua
31-05-2006, 00:44

We only take half a day to teach complete technophobes the basics of logging in etc!!! A whole day will get you designing your own Outlook signature (we are talking Social workers here too, a guaranteed job if you can stand the stress)!!!

Scarlett
31-05-2006, 01:53
It's actually worth looking through the job pages to see what jobs are out there at the moment*. Once you've got an idea of what you might want to do as a job, go an look at what training you might need to do (try ringing some agency's or at a push the companies in the paper and ask what they would expect you to have in terms of qualifications. You could even post on here to see if another member knows)

I'd defn. look at another job though, from what you've said the biggest draw to the job is the flexible hours and the pay is the worst point. If your up front about wanting flexible hours and the reasons why in interviews, then it shouldn't be a problem. (although some companies are bound to find some reason why your 'not suitable' after hearing that :-( On the other hand, you probably didn't want to work for a company like that anyway!)

I currently work from home and I'm going to have to give that up to move jobs but since I've not had a pay rise in 2 years** its time to move. Knowing when to cut your losses and move on is something that companies bank on you not knowing and not doing even if you are unhappy.

Clearly your current Co. has been taking the proverbial (as has mine) and its time for you to decide what you want. Me, I'm in the process of sorting my CV out so that I can start applying for other jobs.

You could also decide if you have a price at which you can be bought so when you hand you notice in, you can see if they'll meet it. I expect mine to choke a bit when they find out what my price is but since I'm so far down the industry pay scales, its going to take a fair amount to catch up. If you do this, be prepared to walk though and make damn sure that the new job is in place first.

Scarlett.

*Its not worth doing a course in Bolivian pot making if there are no job in the area for that. Basic IT is useful but I'd personally try to avoid too much of an IT slant as those are the jobs that are being farmed out to India most of the time. On the other hand if your local paper has 3 pages of IT jobs then go for it!

** I have asked for one, very nicely; and justified it with 1 ½ pages of evidence. No budget for wage increases... No we don't care how many thousands you might have saved us.

Chrysalis
31-05-2006, 10:11
my sister only has gcse's also and is now going for her 3rd promotion where she works and may be a manager on over 20k a year at only 25 for a big company.

If you stay where you are their will be a enforced pay rise when you hit 22 taking you above the other guys wages.

pop80_uk
31-05-2006, 16:50
I have a degree, ECDL, GNVQ and also 11 GCSE's and 3 A-levels. They make no difference at all.
When I left Uni I applied for 45 jobs I got interviews for 6 and got only one the job im doing now, working for the as a Buyer, I earn much less than you would think. Have my qualifications paid for themsleves.....no
Everyone wants experience not qualifications.
Don't worry if you do choose to change it will be down to YOU, not what letters you after your name.
Im quite bitter about it all as I wasted effectively 5 years in education to get no where, I was even told at one interview it would have been better if Id been to prison and then reformed as that showed true character. :(

Good luck though!

Maggy
31-05-2006, 17:05
I have a degree, ECDL, GNVQ and also 11 GCSE's and 3 A-levels. They make no difference at all.
When I left Uni I applied for 45 jobs I got interviews for 6 and got only one the job im doing now, working for the as a Buyer, I earn much less than you would think. Have my qualifications paid for themsleves.....no
Don't worry if you do choose to change it will be down to YOU, not what letters you after your name.
Im quite bitter about it all as I wasted effectively 5 years in education to get no where, I was even told at one interview it would have been better if Id been to prison and then reformed as that showed true character. :(

Good luck though!

Then that individual is a pillock.Education is for life not getting a sodding job.:mad:

Too many business's complain that the people they get are not properly educated enough and then turn round and demand experience.One only gets experience through doing a job but they can't be arsed to allow employees to get experience with them.They want the education system to turn out the correct cogs and wheels for them but don't want to commit any of their profits to training anyone.They want to get fully trained and experienced workers for free and for gratis.:mad:

Our education system is to prepare poeple for living their lives as individuals not as part of the machine.My life is something entirely different from my job and they may be mutually benificial to each other but I know one thing I don't live to work,I work to live.

Timeless Stew
31-05-2006, 21:15
When I left Uni I applied for 45 jobs I got interviews for 6 and got only one the job im doing now, working for the as a Buyer, I earn much less than you would think.

Surprised... :confused: what Uni, what classification, what subject?

LSainsbury
31-05-2006, 21:42
Come on then Pia - update required!! ;-)

cnewton2k
31-05-2006, 22:04
I am in the same boat

I stared as an Agency lad then was taken on full time, and i though wicked, but then i was told i would have to do my probation again!! OK cool

But then i find out i am gonna stay as a quantiv Training Wage P**s take or what!!

My works mates early near £2 more an hour fink it stinks :(

LSainsbury
31-05-2006, 22:21
It's a way of saving a bit of dosh for the company involved I suppose....

DaggaDagga
31-05-2006, 23:18
Go for it Pia.

I did A levels at school, went to uni then dropped out after 3 months. I then did low-paid wage work in insurance claims for 4.5 years (A levels are pretty useless without a degree).

I did AS-level maths in the evenings at college (as I failed it at school), then quit work and went full-time to uni to do an Electronic Engineering degree, at the age of 23 (11 years ago). After a series of interesting jobs I'm now doing software and electronics for a space company.

I've had numerous jobs both before and after uni. I've never quit one without planning something better to move on to, and it's always made me very nervous. But I've NEVER regretted any of the numerous moves I've made. The only regret is that sometimes I wish I'd done things sooner.

IT or electronics are pretty safe bets for good money and a secure future. If you're going to study then make it something useful (which basically means something a little difficult!). Sadly, a lot of people who go to uni or college get disappointed at the end when they realise their Underwater Basket-Weaving qualification is useless to employers!

Best of luck. Think big...

Hom3r
31-05-2006, 23:53
Pia, be careful and chose you word carefully even right them down, you don't want to end up walking down a path that means you have to leave sooner rather than later.

Two jobs ago I was bing payed £3000 a year less than somebody doing a similar roll and when I as for the same I was told if you don't like it leave.

I stuck it out for another two years before they made a load of us redundant, A job later I've landed on my feet earning £5k a year more than my last job, and that will go up after the 3 month probation.

I know how you feel to have people around you being paid more for doing far less.

pop80_uk
01-06-2006, 00:40
Surprised... :confused: what Uni, what classification, what subject?

Staffordshire & Stoke Uni, BSc Hons in Business Telecommunications Technology (with intergrated Network technology and Maths for engineering)

Pia
01-06-2006, 01:04
Come on then Pia - update required!! ;-)

Ooooh this has turned out to be a good read!:)

I don't know what it is that makes me stay there, there's definitely something about the Hotel Industry that keeps people there, most of my friends are in the same frame of mind as me but just can't bring ourselves to go... I do love my job though, i love the fact it's a hotel and not a 'proper' job!

But saying that, i can have a future in it, unless i want to work unsociable hours & have crap pay all my life, and while it's been fun and has taught me a lot- i've got to better myself.

So, my plan is to start doing the college course, (not too sure which one though, if anyone could guide me from the earlier link that;d be good;))
I think by starting a college course it will bring me more into the real world that being in a hotel is shutting me out of, and that will be a good starting point for getting into the right frame of mind and confidence boost that is needed for a change in career.
One step at a time, i'm not much of a spontaneous person, so i'll start with the computer course and go from there, i think:disturbd:

Timeless Stew
01-06-2006, 07:45
The Darlington College courses look dull, let me put it another way, I can not see anyone giving you a job because you passed one of those courses.

I do not know how good your IT/math skills are. May suggest you take this course as a starters?

https://www.microsoftelearning.com/eLearning/offerDetail.aspx?offerId=11583

You can study it for free using the US website (It ain't free in the UK) and then book yourself into a test center (25 quid for two tries- UK offer)

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/register/

And you can keep your job until you get the certification.

DaggaDagga
01-06-2006, 12:56
Staffordshire & Stoke Uni, BSc Hons in Business Telecommunications Technology (with intergrated Network technology and Maths for engineering)

Sadly, I too went to this "uni". I've done alright, but in spite of the uni, not because of. It's a mickey mouse uni really. I did a sandwich course, and learnt far more in my year out than in 3 years there.

Unfortunately the lecturers are mostly bottom of the heap. They generally know little or nothing about what they're lecturing on. There were a few good ones between the dross though.

It seems to be more about getting students in, getting the money and giving them a certificate in something. I remember certain lecturers basically telling us exactly what would be in the exam, then the answers to ensure we passed.

All their "business" courses were looked down on, even within the uni. BIT (Business Information Technology) was the one that was most ridiculed.

I think generally, the longer a course name the less useful it will be. You'll end up with a bit of knowledge about everything, and little in-depth knowledge about anything.

Any degree wil only open doors. To get in, you must have solid knowledge of whatever subject your qualification is in, i.e. more knowledge than what's needed to pass the exam. Sandwich courses are a pretty excellent idea.

Scarlett
01-06-2006, 13:44
Sadly, I too went to this "uni". I've done alright, but in spite of the uni, not because of. It's a mickey mouse uni really. I did a sandwich course, and learnt far more in my year out than in 3 years there.

Unfortunately the lecturers are mostly bottom of the heap. They generally know little or nothing about what they're lecturing on. There were a few good ones between the dross though.

It seems to be more about getting students in, getting the money and giving them a certificate in something. I remember certain lecturers basically telling us exactly what would be in the exam, then the answers to ensure we passed.

All their "business" courses were looked down on, even within the uni. BIT (Business Information Technology) was the one that was most ridiculed.

I think generally, the longer a course name the less useful it will be. You'll end up with a bit of knowledge about everything, and little in-depth knowledge about anything.

Any degree wil only open doors. To get in, you must have solid knowledge of whatever subject your qualification is in, i.e. more knowledge than what's needed to pass the exam. Sandwich courses are a pretty excellent idea.

I went to Keele but I won't quote the usual derogatory name of your uni on here:D *cough* staffs *cough* poly. :D

Sandwich courses are the best thing since sliced bread and I wish I'd done one because employers always want experience.

Even Keele isnt that well regarded in certain places and a 2:2 degree is a mile away from a 2:1* regardless of university.

Back on topic though Micro$oft qualifications are a good move, its not like the work won't be out there...

Scarlett.

*I got refused an interview 6 months ago because I had a 2:2 and not a 2:1 even though I have 5+ years of solid telecoms billing experience... a degree I did 7 years ago makes a difference to my ability to do telecoms support/consulting ?

Maggy
01-06-2006, 15:04

I went to Keele but I won't quote the usual derogatory name of your uni on here:D *cough* staffs *cough* poly. :D

Sandwich courses are the best thing since sliced bread and I wish I'd done one because employers always want experience.

Even Keele isnt that well regarded in certain places and a 2:2 degree is a mile away from a 2:1* regardless of university.

Back on topic though Micro$oft qualifications are a good move, its not like the work won't be out there...

Scarlett.

*I got refused an interview 6 months ago because I had a 2:2 and not a 2:1 even though I have 5+ years of solid telecoms billing experience... a degree I did 7 years ago makes a difference to my ability to do telecoms support/consulting ?

Bet they are regretting it now...If they picked someone with less experience.;)

Timeless Stew
01-06-2006, 18:00

Scarlett.

The SS Poly qualification is very weak. Keele is in the bottom range of UK "old" Unis...

Having a first class degree from the Russell group of Unis in "underwater weaving" (!!!) will still get you a job. Unfair but true fact. A CS graduate from Imperial has higher chances of employment than one from Newcastle Uni. It's a statistical fact. The Newcastle guy could be the better candidate but people are biased... I have seen brilliant people from South Bank Uni/Poly -unemployable due to the poly stigma

Stuart
01-06-2006, 18:14

Good luck though!

Actually, whether you get a job depends on many things (although good qualifications can help). A friend of mine (actually ex-work colleague) had got a first in Computer Science. She left her job, deciding to seek her fortune in the big wide world. She sent off over 200 CVs before she even got a reply. Now she is a support analyst (or some such wierd title) for the First National Bank of New York, and is based in Canary Wharf.

Another friend of mine, who did the same degree a couple of years earlier (and got a 2:2) walked straight into a job with a large Oil exploration firm, who, when they closed their UK offices PAID for him to move to Texas, and sorted out his Green Card. He has since left that firm, but is working for a similar firm in Texas and is happily married with kids. He is also on a salary >£50,000 a year.

Maggy
01-06-2006, 18:53
So my point is whatever will be will be.That you seek an education because you want one..not because it will necessarily get you a job.You should become the best educated person you can be because it suits you to do so.You may well have to work until you are 65+ but you will be educated for the entire length of your life.

Or not.You don't have to go for further education if you would rather not.Some people get very good jobs without the required education.They have the required get up and go that will make them a success no matter what they choice to do to earn a crust.My sister had no A-levels and no degree but still managed to end up as a manager of a paper mill in Hexham.A job that up until then had been a male preserve.

The thing is if you feel you are in a rut and you need something to make make some changes then the obtaining of some qualifications can give your self esteem a boost.Hopefully you will also get pleasure from getting an education that will remain with you for the rest of your life.

My sister despite her success has always regretted the lack of education which is why now she is retired she is attempting a new interest as a creative writer.She attends further education courses and has got some of her poetry published.

Education is for life and will be yours for all of your life.A job is just a means of earning the money to enjoy what you have learned.

Pia
01-06-2006, 23:51
So my point is whatever will be will be.That you seek an education because you want one..not because it will necessarily get you a job.You should become the best educated person you can be because it suits you to do so.You may well have to work until you are 65+ but you will be educated for the entire length of your life.

Or not.You don't have to go for further education if you would rather not.Some people get very good jobs without the required education.They have the required get up and go that will make them a success no matter what they choice to do to earn a crust.My sister had no A-levels and no degree but still managed to end up as a manager of a paper mill in Hexham.A job that up until then had been a male preserve.

The thing is if you feel you are in a rut and you need something to make make some changes then the obtaining of some qualifications can give your self esteem a boost.Hopefully you will also get pleasure from getting an education that will remain with you for the rest of your life.

My sister despite her success has always regretted the lack of education which is why now she is retired she is attempting a new interest as a creative writer.She attends further education courses and has got some of her poetry published.

Education is for life and will be yours for all of your life.A job is just a means of earning the money to enjoy what you have learned.

^^That is a very good post!

You are totally right, and i must admint, i am definitely an education type, i'm more the type of person that would rather, and be better at, starting from the bottom and working my way up.
But while i'm stuck at the bottom i figure i may aswell find a shortcut/something extra to add to my CV by gettingsome sort of IT qual which will look better than nothing when i do get off my backside and move..

And about the pay thing, i've been having words at work and it turns out that there's only 2 people on more money than me that do an easier job, oh and we all got a slapped wrist for discussing other people's pay muahahahahaah:rofl:

DaggaDagga
02-06-2006, 00:07
All these arguments at work will seem so trivial when you think back in 10 years while cruising in your merc.

timewarrior2001
02-06-2006, 00:14
It depends on what IT qualification you study.

The ECDL is VERY basic but widley recognised, it wont get you a job in IT but it may help you get an admin job.

Theres too many computer courses out there and too many companies telling you study with us and earn £120,00 0 a year in IT. it does NOT happen.

I'm currently starting my MCSE, if I am lucky It'll net me £21,000 a year chances are i'll be earning less than that.thats after 9 years in and out of IT and roughly £7000 on courses of one nature or another.

basically what I am saying is IT courses are two a penny, worthwhile IT courses are bloody expensive and hard to come by. I'm not one for education, I've achieved more in the last 13 years than I ever would have in school, yes i have gone back to college, I've dossed about claimed dole, worked for a living and yet I firmly believe that experience is worth more than qualifications in 90% of jobs.

good on you for wanting to better yourself though, dont take my thoughts as right etc.
Like I said I am going nowhere in my career at the moment, I work for a company thats got a BAD reputation and wont get any promotion with them. So i've decided to try and get myself noticed with MCSE, not because it will teach me how to do somehting but because it will get me noticed by the right people.

Pia
02-06-2006, 11:45
Duh in my last post i meant to say "i am definitely NOT an education type...." :dunce:

Pia
04-06-2006, 02:40
I've just remembered tonight why i love working in Catering:D Even if the pay is utter carp:erm:
http://cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=753980&postcount=1576

Pia
18-06-2006, 01:34
Just an update on this....

So, i was on £4.25, she said i could be moved up to £4.85, which i accepted as it's better than nothing...

Anyway, i had a letter tonight at work saying i'm now on £5.05:D

The letter says this:
"May i remind you that your pay is confidential and if this pay rise becomes common knowledge it will be revoked and disciplinary action may be taken"

:rolleyes: How pathetic, are they really that bad at equalising pay that they have to threaten me with a disciplinary if i tell anyone.... So i SHOULD be on that much, every bugger else seems to be and i am probably more valuable than most of them since i have the most experience!

Druchii
18-06-2006, 01:48
Just an update on this.... So, i was on £4.25, she said i could be moved up to £4.85, which i accepted as it's better than nothing... Anyway, i had a letter tonight at work saying i'm now on £5.05:D The letter says this: "May i remind you that your pay is confidential and if this pay rise becomes common knowledge it will be revoked and disciplinary action may be taken" :rolleyes: How pathetic, are they really that bad at equalising pay that they have to threaten me with a disciplinary if i tell anyone.... So i SHOULD be on that much, every bugger else seems to be and i am probably more valuable than most of them since i have the most experience! Agreed Pia, without you they probably would need to hire someone else to do the same thing. Sad they have to threaten you to keep your mouth shut about pay equality.
Totally stupid.

At my place they have no problem with me telling everyone else i'm on £8.08 an hour, and they have no problems with the others telling me about different pay rates etc. Seems to be because they've balanced everything well.

jrhnewark
18-06-2006, 01:54
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nmw/nmw_abou.htm

Sorry, but while the Government promotes paying *anyone* any less for a job than anyone else, employers will see discrimination as fair. :(

Pia
18-06-2006, 01:54
You trying to rub it in my face there that you're on loads more than me and 4 years younger:D:p

Druchii
18-06-2006, 01:59
You trying to rub it in my face there that you're on loads more than me and 4 years younger:D:p Haha, hadn't thought of it like that.
Just giving an example, as the management team work in the same office, and they're in charge of pay, they don't mind us discussing everything to do with it at all.

Mind you Pia, i bet even with both our wages combined there are many many people in this world laughing at us as they're earning considerably more.

signed, the stalker ;)

orangebird
19-06-2006, 17:11
I get tax credit since i only work part time so it should be free, if anything i hope i'll get some sort of grant:rofl::disturbd:

Well, with your new payrise and your family tax credit, you're probably taking home more an hour than one of the other people earning the same as you if they're not on ftc.

Stuart
19-06-2006, 17:17
You trying to rub it in my face there that you're on loads more than me and 4 years younger:D:p

I was on the train the other day talking to someone ten years younger than me, who is on twice my salary.. :(

grubbymitts
19-06-2006, 17:52
The letter says this:
"May i remind you that your pay is confidential and if this pay rise becomes common knowledge it will be revoked and disciplinary action may be taken"

LOL - total and utter management ********. I'm a union rep, Pia. You should be paid the minimum wage of £5.05, no ifs, buts or maybes and you are free to tell anyone of the pay you are on. Not paying you that rate is illegal and can land the company in a lot of trouble and the possibility of prison time to the person who kept your rate down for whatever reason.

If they ever threaten you, threaten them with an industrial tribunal. Get yourself a union sub from the TGWU and they will back you up all the way.

orangebird
19-06-2006, 17:54
LOL - total and utter management ********. I'm a union rep, Pia. You should be paid the minimum wage of £5.05, no ifs, buts or maybes and you are free to tell anyone of the pay you are on. Not paying you that rate is illegal and can land the company in a lot of trouble and the possibility of prison time to the person who kept your rate down for whatever reason.

If they ever threaten you, threaten them with an industrial tribunal. Get yourself a union sub from the TGWU and they will back you up all the way.

She's under 22, so I don't think the minimum rate of 5.05 applies to her.

grubbymitts
19-06-2006, 17:58
She's under 22, so I don't think the minimum rate of 5.05 applies to her.

Whoops, my bad.

Still, the equal pay act can and does take preference over the minimum wage act. If someone is doing the same job as someone else and is being paid considerably less for no good reason then that person could claim discrimination. For example a woman works in a job for x amount of years and a man comes along with no better qualifications and no better experience, but gets paid more than the woman. If the woman is on the minimum wage but the man is on more then by law, regardless of the age of the woman, she should be elevated to the higher rate.

The worst thing is the threatening action in the letter. Take the buggers to court!

punky
19-06-2006, 18:43
Still, the equal pay act can and does take preference over the minimum wage act. If someone is doing the same job as someone else and is being paid considerably less for no good reason then that person could claim discrimination. For example a woman works in a job for x amount of years and a man comes along with no better qualifications and no better experience, but gets paid more than the woman. If the woman is on the minimum wage but the man is on more then by law, regardless of the age of the woman, she should be elevated to the higher rate.

But as Pia said way back near the start, the people who are on a higher wage than Pia was previously occupied temporary supervisor's positions, so they have more experience, probably more qualifications (as experience is often counted against that), and as such had a right to be paid more. They had a right to remain on that wage as they had proven to their employers that they were able to a job worth £5.05, it just wasn't available to them. Pia to my recollection hasn't done any of that, although she does have more experience in a non-supervisor's position.

Its quite understandable why the company would want to keep Pia's new wage quiet. She's getting the same pay as others who are proven qualified as supervisors, without having to go through that. The inequality lies in Pia's favour here.

The worst thing is the threatening action in the letter. Take the buggers to court!

:rofl:

Pia
19-06-2006, 19:13
Well, with your new payrise and your family tax credit, you're probably taking home more an hour than one of the other people earning the same as you if they're not on ftc. Yeah that's true, hadn't thought of it like that;):D
But as Pia said way back near the start, the people who are on a higher wage than Pia was previously occupied temporary supervisor's positions, so they have more experience, probably more qualifications (as experience is often counted against that), and as such had a right to be paid more. They had a right to remain on that wage as they had proven to their employers that they were able to a job worth £5.05, it just wasn't available to them. Pia to my recollection hasn't done any of that, although she does have more experience in a non-supervisor's position. That's the thing, i CAN do a supervisor job, and i can do it better than them lot, but the fact that i'm part-time i'm not even allowed the chance, and they wouldn't dream of working it around Cameron's nursery time, it's just impossible.
That is, unless they are in the cakka and need my help:rolleyes:
Its quite understandable why the company would want to keep Pia's new wage quiet. She's getting the same pay as others who are proven qualified as supervisors, without having to go through that. The inequality lies in Pia's favour here. No, i'm getting the same pay as most of the other morons who just happen to be a year older than me, those same people who don't get given as much crap to deal with because they aren't as experienced as me. In fact, some muppet started working there this week, hasn't got a clue, and not really willing to learn, just does the basics, but is still on £5.05 an hour... yet i am meant to be grateful for being on the same wage.
The other lads my age who are on £5.05 weren't giving a supervisors position in the job we do, they were originally Bar staff, who's line manager handed over the 7-staff rota to do over Christmas and called them supervisors because she's so incompetent yet nobody questions it.

Chimaera
19-06-2006, 19:22
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't that discriminating against you? The fact that you work part-time because you have a child should not come into it - they should employ you on your merits.
I await correction by someone more knowledgeable! :D

Pia
19-06-2006, 19:30
Well they aren't technically doing anything wrong at the moment really.

When i returned to wrok after maternity leave i put in a request for Child friendly working hours, but they kicked up a stink saying it wasn't possible in hotels....

I pointed out that i could do the room service and lounge side 8.30am-5pm which is what somebody else was doing already, even though she hadn't applied for Child friendly hours. They then said i had to work every other weekend so that the full time woman could have the same.
I wasn't too impressed and wanted to know why i shuold have to work the same amount of weekends on 16 hours as someone on 40 hours.

Their excuse? Because she had kids too...

So what?? She has never applied for the friendly hours- i have, and nobody else in the department got the luxury of having every other weekend off.
Anyway, i struggled on and my mam helped me out for about a year, looking after Cameron everytime i went to work since no nursery would take him on a fornightly basis...

The other woman has left now though- and i got my weekdays every week after that, and now Cameron is in a proper nursery. Excepet my mam missed having cameron so has his on a saturday night, sunday morning- and i go and work 2 days overtime:rolleyes:

etccarmageddon
19-06-2006, 19:40
they sound like a right bunch of petty people.

---------- Post added at 18:40 ---------- Previous post was at 18:40 ----------

happy employees do better work. FACT!

punky
19-06-2006, 19:52
but the fact that i'm part-time i'm not even allowed the chance,

i'm getting the same pay as most of the other morons who just happen to be a year older than me

As you quite know though, these are unfortunate facts of life that can't be changed.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't that discriminating against you? The fact that you work part-time because you have a child should not come into it - they should employ you on your merits.

Not if its a condition of the job that it has to be full-time. Otherwise you could claim discrimination if you wanted a part-time job and you put in a full-time one.

I wasn't too impressed and wanted to know why i shuold have to work the same amount of weekends on 16 hours as someone on 40 hours

A interesting aspect here in that a woman is alledging discrimination against another woman. Also, Pia said her boss is a woman also...

Chimaera
19-06-2006, 20:03

Not if its a condition of the job that it has to be full-time. Otherwise you could claim discrimination if you wanted a part-time job and you put in a full-time one.

Well at our place we have been told that if you are working full time and want to do part time you cannot be refused (even though our job is a full time one). So my colleague now does 4 days a week instead of 5 (she's actually ended up doing 30 hours over 4 days instead of 36 over 5) - I'm now wondering whether to push my luck and ask if I can do my 36 hours over 4 days - but as my boss hates part time workers with a passion, I bet I know the answer already! :rofl:

punky
19-06-2006, 20:10
Well at our place we have been told that if you are working full time and want to do part time you cannot be refused (even though our job is a full time one). So my colleague now does 4 days a week instead of 5 (she's actually ended up doing 30 hours over 4 days instead of 36 over 5) - I'm now wondering whether to push my luck and ask if I can do my 36 hours over 4 days - but as my boss hates part time workers with a passion, I bet I know the answer already! :rofl:

News to me...

Although I wouldn't like to be an employer having to get that from an employee. You hire an employee, train them so the job is covered. Then they decide they want to do one less, so you need to hire another employee, more training, more auxilary costs like paying for uniforms. All because the employee decided they didn't want to do a job that an employer asked them to do, and the employee agreed to do.

Who'd want to be an employer eh? :disturbd: :erm:

Nidge
19-06-2006, 20:25
Well they aren't technically doing anything wrong at the moment really.

When i returned to wrok after maternity leave i put in a request for Child friendly working hours, but they kicked up a stink saying it wasn't possible in hotels....

I pointed out that i could do the room service and lounge side 8.30am-5pm which is what somebody else was doing already, even though she hadn't applied for Child friendly hours. They then said i had to work every other weekend so that the full time woman could have the same.
I wasn't too impressed and wanted to know why i shuold have to work the same amount of weekends on 16 hours as someone on 40 hours.

Their excuse? Because she had kids too...

So what?? She has never applied for the friendly hours- i have, and nobody else in the department got the luxury of having every other weekend off.
Anyway, i struggled on and my mam helped me out for about a year, looking after Cameron everytime i went to work since no nursery would take him on a fornightly basis...

The other woman has left now though- and i got my weekdays every week after that, and now Cameron is in a proper nursery. Excepet my mam missed having cameron so has his on a saturday night, sunday morning- and i go and work 2 days overtime:rolleyes:

Just to let you know Pia that if you work 24 hours or more a week you are classed as full time, you get a bonus from the Tax Credits place, I think it's £90 per week.:D :D :D

Pia
19-06-2006, 21:09
Just to let you know Pia that if you work 24 hours or more a week you are classed as full time, you get a bonus from the Tax Credits place, I think it's £90 per week.:D :D :D
Really? My overtime days aren't full shifts so my hours range between 22-26, so it should average out... Do i need to ring them or will they just adjust it?
Actually, now that Cameron is 3 my nursery costs have gone down so they'll proably give me less anyway, probably won't work out any better off...

Wicked_and_Crazy
19-06-2006, 21:24
I'm now wondering whether to push my luck and ask if I can do my 36 hours over 4 days - but as my boss hates part time workers with a passion, I bet I know the answer already! :rofl:

how does riding your bike in the playground constitute WORKING :Sprint:

Hugh
19-06-2006, 21:55
A interesting aspect here in that a woman is alledging discrimination against another woman. Also, Pia said her boss is a woman also...

I think the point is that someone is being discriminated against, not the sex of the discriminator - who is doing the discrimination does not lessen the fact that it is occurring (and before you ask, yes I am an employer, and I treat all the people who work with me equally).

Treat your team fairly, and they will usually treat you the same way - if they don't, their loss, not yours.

Pia
19-06-2006, 21:59
*Pia wonders where in the north foreverwar is and applies for job:rofl:*

punky
19-06-2006, 22:03
I think the point is that someone is being discriminated against, not the sex of the discriminator - who is doing the discrimination does not lessen the fact that it is occurring (and before you ask, yes I am an employer, and I treat all the people who work with me equally).

Yeah, I had already worked out what the point of discrimination is :dozey:

If women are discriminating against other women, then it shows just what an uphill battle fighting discrimination is.

Chimaera
19-06-2006, 22:04
I'm now wondering whether to push my luck and ask if I can do my 36 hours over 4 days - but as my boss hates part time workers with a passion, I bet I know the answer already! :rofl:

I don't ride my bike in the playground - I shout at kids and tell them how to ride theirs! Or not as the case may be - if they turn up with stabilisers (at age 11) :rofl:
Actually, Pia, be very careful to tell the Tax Credit people of any changes to your financial circumstances - and record times, dates and names of people you talk to, as they are notorious for messing up payments, usually overpaying you, then demanding the money back at a later date. Of course you can appeal against their incompetence, but from what I've found, it's a waste of time and they just take it back from you anyway. :(

punky
19-06-2006, 22:04

Chimaera
19-06-2006, 22:10

Ok, so the last time I rode my bike it DID look like hard work - ending up with a 4 hour stint in the local A&E!!! How good did THAT look to all the little kiddies! :blush: I confess! :D

Hugh
19-06-2006, 22:18
Ok, so the last time I rode my bike it DID look like hard work - ending up with a 4 hour stint in the local A&E!!! How good did THAT look to all the little kiddies! :blush: I confess! :D

Please, please, please reassure me that "rode my bike" is not a metaphor :monkey:

Chimaera
19-06-2006, 22:19

Please, please, please reassure me that "rode my bike" is not a metaphor :monkey:
Erm - it's not a metaphor? :shrug:
Was that reassuring enough for you: :D :naughty: :angel:

Wicked_and_Crazy
19-06-2006, 22:41

Did the kiddie in A&E suggest a tricycle? (With basket ;))

Chimaera
19-06-2006, 22:45
Suffice it to say the bike is now firmly under wrpas in the garden, and hasn't seen the light of day in a year! ;)
Keep death off the roads? Keep me off the bike! :D

Pia
08-06-2007, 16:07
Hellooooo.... just a teeny tiny one year bump...lol.

Well, i still work in the hotel, the manager is still an ass, and i had dealings with her just the other day because of my uniform. I haven't received a full uniform, nobody ordered me one, nobody has mentioned it, so i just carried on as i was, i don't fancy wearing a manlike waistcoat so i didn't make a fuss about not having one seeing as nobody else seems too bothered and she threatened to send me home without pay for not having one :rolleyes:. Then accused me of lying when i said i'd never been given one:mad: She gets right on my nerves that woman.:p:

Anyway........ i have an interview on Monday afternoon with NECC (http://www.necc.co.uk/article.aspx?id=3150&terms=dental) to discuss starting training as a Dental Nurse, it's perfect for me, on the job training which is what i'm more suited to with a day release for college. I had a long chat with the guy today on the phone and they will help me to find a Dental Practice to take me on for my training! So seeing as my little lad starts school in September now it's time to get off my backside and get out of that crappy hotel and do something proper with my life, so here i am, hopefully about to start life as a trainee dental nurse! :D

Xaccers
08-06-2007, 16:11
Good luck! :D

LSainsbury
08-06-2007, 16:18
Nice one Pia - good to see you alive and well on CF too!!

Nugget
08-06-2007, 16:19
Yup, good news - hope it all goes well :)

Hugh
08-06-2007, 16:33
Good luck, Pia.

danielf
08-06-2007, 16:39
Good luck, hope you get it!

Cobbydaler
08-06-2007, 16:47
Best of luck Pia... :)

Stuart
08-06-2007, 16:53
Good luck Pia. Hope the new course/job is good.

pop80_uk
08-06-2007, 17:11
Good luck!

Keep away from my teeth! :D

Pia
08-06-2007, 17:28
Thanks all, and keeping slightly more on topic of why i started this thread... the guy from NECC said in my first year of an apprenticeship i don't have to be paid minimum wage, he said the dentists are allowed to pay me £4.75 development rate or something but reckons most nplaces will pay me the NMW... I thought the nmw applied to all paid work, training or not, sounds like i was wrong.

Xaccers
08-06-2007, 17:30
I think certain sectors are able to opt out.

Hang on; http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nmw/

Apprentices
From pay reference periods starting on or after 1 October 2006 the special rules for apprentices will be extended to apprentices aged over 25. This will mean that:

Apprentices under age 19 will not qualify for the national minimum wage
Apprentices over age 19 and in the first 12 months of their apprenticeship will not qualify for the national minimum wage.

That'll be the bit that effects you.

No, wait, you said development rate: http://www.dti.gov.uk/employment/pay/national-minimum-wage/index.html

From 1 October 2006, the Employment Equality (Age) regulations abolished the Older Workers Development Rate and remove the age limit on the apprenticeship exemption.

As you're over 21, there is no developement rate by the looks of things.

Pia
08-06-2007, 17:40
Ah i see it is true http://www.worksmart.org.uk/minwage_calc.php there's an option in it asking if you're in the 1st year of an apprenticeship and then says you don't qualify for minimum wage.... oh well!!
More info here http://www.lowpay.gov.uk/lowpay/lowpay2006/chapter3f.shtml

Xaccers
08-06-2007, 17:44
Ah i see it is true http://www.worksmart.org.uk/minwage_calc.php there's an option in it asking if you're in the 1st year of an apprenticeship and then says you don't qualify for minimum wage.... oh well!!

Note: For minimum wage purposes an apprentice is a worker who has either a contract of apprenticeship with their employer or is taking part in one of the following Government apprenticeship programs. Trainees on these courses would normally have written agreements or contracts with their employer:

Entry to Employment, Apprenticeships or Advanced Apprenticeships (England)
Get Ready for Work, Skillseekers or Modern Apprenticeships (Scotland)
Access, Jobskills Traineeships or Modern Apprenticeships (Northern Ireland)
Skillbuild, Modern Apprenticeships or Foundation Modern Apprenticeships (Wales)

Is it part of those courses or is it something else?
Trainee isn't the same as apprentice :)

Pia
08-06-2007, 18:03
Not overly sure, i'm assuming so since the man i spoke to was specifically in the Dental Nursing department and he said i wouldn't necessarily get min wage, i know it's an NVQ Level 3.

Xaccers
08-06-2007, 18:04
He could be running on old information regarding the 21+ developement rate which was abolished.

Pia
08-06-2007, 18:08
Possibly, i'll know more on Monday... He told me about one Dental Practice that are looking for a nurse so i'll give them a ring on Monday too! Now i just have to hope my current manager isn't too awkward about my notice period, she says i have to give a week for every year of service, which means 6 weeks..... even though i thought there must be a 4 week limit on that she reckons not so i'd have to ask her to reduce it to about 2 weeks which is about reasonable if a dental practice takes me on and i only have to give 2 weeks notice.

Hugh
08-06-2007, 18:12
Possibly, i'll know more on Monday... He told me about one Dental Practice that are looking for a nurse so i'll give them a ring on Monday too! Now i just have to hope my current manager isn't too awkward about my notice period, she says i have to give a week for every year of service, which means 6 weeks..... even though i thought there must be a 4 week limit on that she reckons not so i'd have to ask her to reduce it to about 2 weeks which is about reasonable if a dental practice takes me on and i only have to give 2 weeks notice.

Pia, it depends on you contractual notice - if you are paid weekly, it is rarely more than four weeks notice (if you have a contract); if you don't, you could probably get away with one week's notice, but be careful of breach of contract (again, if there is one).

Xaccers
08-06-2007, 18:13
Will you need the hotel place for references?
If not, and considering how they've been treating you, just hand in your uniform etc at the end of your final shift with them, and say you quit.
They must pay you for the time you have worked, plus or minus any holiday they owe/you owe them.
If they can directly prove that they've lost money because of you walking out then they can sue you for it, however that's very unlikely.
I've done it before with the MoD as my office manager was a good friend who gave a fantastic reference for my next job, it was the area staff I was meant to replace that was a pain which I was glad to see the back of :D
If you want to try and leave on good terms, try asking for the 2 weeks, if they refuse, then just leave after 2 weeks.