PDA

View Full Version : changing rooms fees

hardtarget
27-05-2006, 00:42
how much do ntl charge to take ur broadband or set top box to another room?

my broadband is downstairs and i would like to take it upstairs

icestar2
27-05-2006, 01:48
If you just want to move your box then you could simply buy an extension cable. I have moved my tv and set-top box and so have added an extension cable from the ntl cable to my set-set box.

If you want any other help like prices or how to do this and were to buy from then just send me a pm.

Halcyon
27-05-2006, 10:37
If you have a wireless card in your computer, you could even buy a wireless router that you leave next to your modem and then you can use Internet anywhere around your house.

Often an extension cable or router is cheaper than getting NTL out to move your box.

Paul K
27-05-2006, 11:10
how much do ntl charge to take ur broadband or set top box to another room?

my broadband is downstairs and i would like to take it upstairs
Would hate to think but the suggestions above are best for long term usage and a wireless router is handy on more than one front, wireless network connectivity, wireless internet connectivity and protection (NAT based routers offer hardware based firewall protection).

hardtarget
27-05-2006, 12:24
but i've never used a router before,
can someone post a lnik to tell me how it all works

bjorkiii
27-05-2006, 12:26
When i look at thread header i keep thinkin of swimming baths and a person pinching my underpants

Halcyon
27-05-2006, 12:28
Basically a router lets you share and distribute an Internet connection.

Your NTL modem or set top box would stay where it is and then go into a wireless router.
The router then sends a wireless signal around your house to all computers that have wireless cards in them.
The computers see the router and it is the router's job to talk to the modem and connect you to the Internet.

hardtarget
27-05-2006, 12:38
i have a compaq presario model,
i dont have any specific slots apart from usb and ethernet and other slots for speakers and all that,
cant i connect a router through ethernet or usb?

also wont it reduce the speed of my connection as i am soon going to upgrade my connection to 4mb?