PDA

View Full Version : Work issues.

Nidge
26-05-2006, 17:11
Where I work we do portable accomodation for building sites, schools and hospitals. We also do portable toilets (the big blue ones). Anyway a lad who cleans the toilets out in the yard does a cracking job, yesterday one of the lads who visits the sites to empty the toilets said you have to clean them on the insides:shocked: :shocked: This involved getting a scourer and spraying this de-scaler into the inside of the toilet and scrubbing the S**T off with your hands:shocked: :shocked: I told him not to do it as it was breaching health and safety. This lad who visits the sites to empty the toilets said the where the wast goes should be as clean as the outside, he said what happens if the person who hires the toilet lifts the lid up and looks into the bottom and he sees it's not spotless, I turned round and said as long as the toilet itself is clean and smelling nice I don't think people whould be bothered what the waste bit of the toilet looks like. He went up and told the boss that he wasn't doing his job right.

Today he got called in and dragged over the coals, the forman backed him up and said, I wouldn't scrub the insides of them for £25 per hour.

Scrubbs
26-05-2006, 18:05
In my line of work we have hazard observation/hazard identification forms. I know you wont have the same but there should be something like that available to you.
What happens if some thing is not covered by normal practices in the companys working practices manual or something similair a group of people(managers and employees) sit down and work out what is needed to make it safe.

he should be provided with the protective clothing to do the job ie waterproof overalls, waterproof gloves and possibly a a breathing filter depending on the chemicals used.
You will hace to read the COSHH leaflet that comes with the chemicals

WHISTLED
26-05-2006, 18:27
Sounds like a load of s**t to me :D

etccarmageddon
26-05-2006, 18:39
yeah he should be wearing full protective clothing if he's asked to scrub the **** off the inside of a chemical toilet.

Nidge
26-05-2006, 18:52
The stuff they use is called Scale off, it makes you cough like you've somoked 60 ciggies in one go, it says on the can use in well ventalated area.

Scrubbs
26-05-2006, 19:29
The stuff they use is called Scale off, it makes you cough like you've somoked 60 ciggies in one go, it says on the can use in well ventalated area.

Ask to see the COSHH (control of substances hazardous to health) register
that will give the safeguards to adopt when using it. If they don't have one you might get them worried 'cos I think all workplaces have to have one.:)
taken from here (http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg95.pdf)

WHAT DO MY EMPLOYEES NEED TO KNOW?

You have a legal duty to inform, instruct and train

individuals who are likely to be exposed to respiratory
sensitisers so that they know and understand:
†¢ the risks to health;
†¢ the symptoms of sensitisation;
†¢ the importance of reporting even seemingly minor
symptoms at an early stage;
†¢ the proper use of control measures;
†¢ the need to report promptly any failures in contro