PDA

View Full Version : 10mb upgrade from hell

yer nice one
25-05-2006, 19:19
hi all,

Ill start from the begining. I was/am on 1mb, went to the NTL upgrade page, entered my details and cliked the 10mb upgrade button, the process failed! error14 call CS,

I contacted customer services, and they told me i am on 10mb, i then checked the modem config files @ 192.168.100.1 the config file is still at 1mb.

I contact customer services again and they put me through to technical support, in India, the agent created a log saying from his system he see's me as 1mb but paying for 10mb.

Great. What am I ment to do now!!! everytime i contact CS they put me through to technical support...

Paying for 10 and getting 1. Not happy bunny

Stuartbe
25-05-2006, 19:21
Have you re-started the modem yet ? The upgrade may not take effect until you do.

yer nice one
25-05-2006, 19:38
yea done that a few time leaving it off for 5/10 minutes..

Stuartbe
25-05-2006, 19:39
O.K. Was worth checking.

I am sure one of the helpfull NTL bods will be along and be able to help you.

hairy_mick
25-05-2006, 19:43
welcome to nthell "Harmony" thats all i'll say

yer nice one
25-05-2006, 19:45
i hope so.. getting thrown between CS and TS.. 2 hours on the 0845 number now :(

etccarmageddon
25-05-2006, 20:39
try releasing/renewing your ip address

opelfruitcase
25-05-2006, 20:45
yer nice one, check your PM's - there should be an offer of help there for you.

yer nice one
26-05-2006, 09:26
yer nice one, check your PM's - there should be an offer of help there for you.

I have PM'D you my details, can you let us know how you get on,

I would like to be upgraded from 1mb to 10mb please.

regards

DR

---------- Post added at 09:26 ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 ----------

try releasing/renewing your ip address

Also done this several times. cloning mac address on my router to get a new IP is the easiest way I have found to get a new IP, No difference still on 1mb

grubbymitts
26-05-2006, 10:56
stop paying your direct debit - it's amazing how fast they come and fix a problem if you withhold their cash

yer nice one
26-05-2006, 12:19
Update:

Still getting thrown between CS & TS. What an absoulete joke.

The config file is still showing me 1mb speeds, NTL recon its 10mb. how the hell can i prove to them its 1mb...

The TS guy in India, now is saying that it takes 2 days to upgrade to the 10mb,

what an absolute joke,

I cant recommend NTL to no one as its taken me over 4 hours and god knows how many calls just to get a simple upgrade, which is not simple.

ARHHH

etccarmageddon
26-05-2006, 12:35
it took them around 2 mins to upgrade my speed.

yer nice one
26-05-2006, 12:38
yep sounds right.. it happens instanly usualy why is it taking so long this time round!!!

jtwn
26-05-2006, 16:17
The 48 hr thing is the truth.

Chrysalis
26-05-2006, 18:25
I dont believe it to be honest, you will notice if you upgrade online, it is instant every time, you click continue and within 10 seconds your modem is rebooted with new speed. Delays only occur when customer services are involved, so it isnt the system that needs 48 hours.

Bill C
26-05-2006, 18:44
The 48 hr thing is the truth.

Sorry but i dont agree 1 little bit. When i worked for them and some can back me up on this site. I could upgrade a modem in 5 minutes flat. I could also fix the problem this person has in about 10 minutes flat.

This is a case of bull**** baffles brains or so they think.

opelfruitcase
26-05-2006, 18:52
If they've quoted 48 hours then don't forget thats not two days but two working days, and don't forget theres a bank holiday somewhere there in between.

I've checked the account myself and now passed this on to one of my colleages in level 2 TSB in Swansea so we'll see how quickly it can be resolved.

jtwn
26-05-2006, 18:57
Sorry but i dont agree 1 little bit. When i worked for them and some can back me up on this site. I could upgrade a modem in 5 minutes flat. I could also fix the problem this person has in about 10 minutes flat.

This is a case of bull**** baffles brains or so they think.

No I agree that it actually is just an instant thing. However when I regraded only a few days back through TS, they told me it would take 2 days. How long did it take in the end? Two days.

Moral of the story? Upgrade online if you can ;)

opelfruitcase
26-05-2006, 19:55
No I agree that it actually is just an instant thing. However when I regraded only a few days back through TS, they told me it would take 2 days. How long did it take in the end? Two days.

Moral of the story? Upgrade online if you can ;)

Thing is, in these circumstances the account that stores all ntlworld and cable modem config settings (the internet provisioning account in Harmony) is showing that the OP's modem is set for 10Mb - so when his cable modem boots it knows which config file it needs to download from the TFTP server, in basic terms. This isn't happening as clearly his cable modem is properly configured for 10Mb on the provisioning account (not the usual story here of a customer being billed for one service level and being configured for another) - he's configured for 10Mb and is being billed for 10Mb, but his cable modem is still being sent the TFTP file for the bronze (1Mb) service level. This maybe an easy thing to sort out but unfortunately I don't have access in work to BlueTools to diagnose in any more detail, although I know a few people who do.

Therefore, if the OP went to upgrade online now it would show him as being on the top service level already (and even if he wasn't TS wouldn't have said you need to change the service level with customer services; rather than saying 48 hours to get this sorted).

Basically, unlimited is most probably correct in his diagnosis.

Saneboy13
26-05-2006, 20:17
Not sure how relevent this is, but what modem are you using? If you tell me it's anything other than a 250, I will wet myself laughing:D

opelfruitcase
26-05-2006, 20:42
Not sure how relevent this is, but what modem are you using? If you tell me it's anything other than a 250, I will wet myself laughing:D

Why? The modem's configuration is only set at 1Mb. At my parents house, my account there is a 10Mb connection and even with a decrepid but reliable Surfboard 3100 modem thats 6 years old, i'm still getting in the region of 6.5-7Mbit download. Yes I agree having anything less than an ntl250 can cause problems but the issue here isn't in any way connected with the problems usually associated with having older than an ntl250.

So while normally you can stick your tounge out and say everyone so far has missed the blindingly obvious I'm afraid it wouldn't make any difference in these circumstances :P

Saneboy13
26-05-2006, 20:55
Why? The modem's configuration is only set at 1Mb. At my parents house, my account there is a 10Mb connection and even with a decrepid but reliable Surfboard 3100 modem thats 6 years old, i'm still getting in the region of 6.5-7Mbit download. Yes I agree having anything less than an ntl250 can cause problems but the issue here isn't in any way connected with the problems usually associated with having older than an ntl250.

So while normally you can stick your tounge out and say everyone so far has missed the blindingly obvious I'm afraid it wouldn't make any difference in these circumstances :P

Ah, but is there a problem with the modem it's self? Why isn't it gaining the new 10meg config file from the DHCP? is it a blindingly obvious miss?

And yeas, you may have a 6 year old surfboard modem that pumps out a steady 6-7 meg, but are you really happy with that? doesn't the 3100 only have a 10 base/t? thus the limiting factor as far as your speed?

opelfruitcase
26-05-2006, 21:03
Ah, but is there a problem with the modem it's self? Why isn't it gaining the new 10meg config file from the DHCP? is it a blindingly obvious miss?

And yeas, you may have a 6 year old surfboard modem that pumps out a steady 6-7 meg, but are you really happy with that? doesn't the 3100 only have a 10 base/t? thus the limiting factor as far as your speed?

That will be changing very shortly, as my associate account is in the process of being transferred to my parents house and I'll then be cancelling the old account, thus I'll be enjoying a proper 10Mbit connection, but i'm not going to complain for now, the limit factor for a speedy connection in my parents isn't the cable modem but the younger sibling strangling the connection with his torrents - that will be the same whether its 1Mb, 6-7Mb or 10Mb. Now a 100Mbit connection on the other hand.... (dream on!) ;)

Saneboy13
26-05-2006, 21:10
That will be changing very shortly, as my associate account is in the process of being transferred to my parents house and I'll then be cancelling the old account, thus I'll be enjoying a proper 10Mbit connection, but i'm not going to complain for now, the limit factor for a speedy connection in my parents isn't the cable modem but the younger sibling strangling the connection with his torrents - that will be the same whether its 1Mb, 6-7Mb or 10Mb. Now a 100Mbit connection on the other hand.... (dream on!) ;)

Dream on? why do that? with the changing to qam256 the possibility is there already:erm: shouldn't of said that.

In all seriousness though, we are just limited at the moment by the analogue services, once they have gone *rubbing hands* then we can have some real fun;).

But back to the problem at hand, there is obviously a problem with the config file on this guys modem. I am at pains to se no-one has asked about the modem and why no-one has booked a call for a Tech. to go and investigate a little further. But that's just me being a caring kinda guy I suppose:angel:

opelfruitcase
26-05-2006, 22:08
Dream on? why do that? with the changing to qam256 the possibility is there already:erm: shouldn't of said that.

In all seriousness though, we are just limited at the moment by the analogue services, once they have gone *rubbing hands* then we can have some real fun;).

I was expecting that kind of comment though anyway, I remember the (not so) good old days when the silver tier broadband was 512K and the first time the broadband was installed my jaw hit the floor at some of the speeds, now 512K would be so painful I'd have serious withdrawal symptoms :Yikes:

But back to the problem at hand, there is obviously a problem with the config file on this guys modem. I am at pains to se no-one has asked about the modem and why no-one has booked a call for a Tech. to go and investigate a little further. But that's just me being a caring kinda guy I suppose:angel:

Personally speaking I think it needs to be investigated at account level first before booking a tech, as otherwise the OP could have a modem swap only to find that the problem is still there...

peterattheboro
27-05-2006, 00:04
You using USB or Ethernet?

Chrysalis
27-05-2006, 05:06
I am going to hazard a guess its a problem with the billing system rather then the config server sending out to modem. My reasons are.

Online upgrades are always instant, so presumably doing changes via different method, ironically everytime I have upgraded online I carry on getting billed for old tier for many months after :D.

Once I was with a guy on the phone helping diagnose speed issues (not through normal channels) he was able to change my config at a whim no 1 tier change a month crap, no 48 hr wait, instant everytime and the modem rebooted itself automatically.

Another occasion when I got downgraded by a mardy CS guy, cableforum intervened and a kind lady got in touch with me and dispite the ntl excuse coming from techs we cant upgrade you sir until next month, she manually changed my config, I believe she put me on unreg file and then to 10meg, of course both changes were instant.

Believe what you want to believe.

opelfruitcase
27-05-2006, 10:09
I am going to hazard a guess its a problem with the billing system rather then the config server sending out to modem. My reasons are.

Online upgrades are always instant, so presumably doing changes via different method, ironically everytime I have upgraded online I carry on getting billed for old tier for many months after :D.

Once I was with a guy on the phone helping diagnose speed issues (not through normal channels) he was able to change my config at a whim no 1 tier change a month crap, no 48 hr wait, instant everytime and the modem rebooted itself automatically.
<snip>

I'm well aware of the billing system issue - my parents, through a combination of what you mention above, a retentions discount and an ancient credit for paying by dd only pay £8.99 per month for the 10Mb service! :) Although I've noticed the last 2-3 months they've taken steps to try and prevent this from happening (finally, its been like this for years!)

What you describe above about the service level being changed on a whim is where the service level is changed on the provisioning account, same as online upgrade - this will of course be ok when everything is working fine, but this isn't the same in the circumstances. I'm doing overtime tommorrow in work sifting thru ResponseTek stuff, so I'll be able to have a chat with my TS contact see whats happening.

OP, can you confirm if you've replied to my email at all? I'm not able to access my work email from home to check but if not can you please respond... thanks.

Paulgreyhead
27-05-2006, 15:42
No-one seems to have mentioned the router. I was told by an ntl tech that a router can stop them seeing the modem properly and can cause problems. Remove the router from the system, reboot the modem and see if it helps.

jtwn
27-05-2006, 20:43
That shouldn't be the case, from ntl's persepective, the router comes after the modem. Worth a try though If you want.

Paulgreyhead
27-05-2006, 23:19
I thought the same until I had occasion to call tech support (my speed went from 2MB to 1MB for an unknown reason). When I was on the phone the tech guy asked if I had a router as he couldn't see the modem properly and asked me to remove it!

jaycee
29-05-2006, 00:33
This router thing is BS - the tech support guys access the modem from the CATV side of the modem. There is nothing a router can do (connected on the other side of the modem, as the modem is a bridge device) to interfere here.

It is true that a misconfigured router can stop you getting your service, but it won't interfere with Tech Support attempting to access your modem. I cringe every time I read someones post who says "TS told me my router stops them fixing the problem" as it's obviously a fob off

Paulgreyhead
29-05-2006, 10:30
I totally agree.

zerolight
06-06-2006, 20:42
I have this problem too. I downgraded from 10mb to 4mb to save a bit of cash. Then I discovered that the 4mb doesn't exist at present. So I decided to go back up to 10mb, and called CS. Very pleasant girl said no problem, apologised for the 4mb thing, and set me up on the system as 10mb again, and very kindly offered me that at half price for 3 months to boot.

So I recycle my modem and I'm still on 4mb (which is really 2mb). So I call back and CS confirm that I am definately on 10mb now. But I'm not. So I went to the automated online upgrade and checked what I was currently on. 4mb. I left it 6 hours. Checked again. 4mb. So I thought, lets try upgrading it myself. Error14. I can't get upgraded back to where I was yesterday. TS is now closed. :(

Chrysalis
07-06-2006, 00:52
you know if ntl didnt call it "up to " 4meg they would be in trouble legally stating 4meg on bills for a 2meg service.

but they can probably get away with it since 2meg falls in the "up to" bracket.

zerolight
07-06-2006, 12:05
They've sorted it. :)