PDA

View Full Version : A new job prospect?

MadGamer
24-05-2006, 22:41
Hey people, ok i need to ask your opinions on this subject. I was talking to my computer maintenance tutor today, and we got talking about jobs involving technical support (working on a helpdesk) and working at a place (like PC World), where they have the PC Support clinic. Question is would they take on an 18 year old as part time? Considering im still in the middle of my studies and hope to progress onto the BTEC National Diploma in I.T next year, do you think its a case of just asking them?

Gareth
24-05-2006, 22:48
You'll never know until you ask. Worst they can do is say No.

MadGamer
24-05-2006, 22:50
You'll never know until you ask. Worst they can do is say No. Thats what my tutor said, or in his words "The worst they'll say is on your bike mate".

Still its worth a shot.

nffc
24-05-2006, 23:08
We have U-18s at our place but that would obviously mean you moving 130+ miles north.

It's not really about age though, it's about how good you are.

Damien
24-05-2006, 23:11
I am only 19 (soon to be 20, go me). I have a job at IT helpdesk for the Uni.

I think you should give it a shot

MadGamer
24-05-2006, 23:17
We have U-18s at our place but that would obviously mean you moving 130+ miles north.

It's not really about age though, it's about how good you are. Id go somewhere closer, but i get where your coming from. I like to think of my self as an Intermediate user, but i would need to prove to whoever i worked for that i can actually solve problems. The reason i dont demonstrate that on here, is because its hard for me to write something down as opposed to verbally speaking. :)

Shaun
24-05-2006, 23:17

It's not really about age though, it's about how good you are.

...and if they need someone.:)

MadGamer
24-05-2006, 23:18
I am only 19 (soon to be 20, go me). I have a job at IT helpdesk for the Uni.

I think you should give it a shot Thanks Damien. Will get in contact with them tomorrow. :)

Strzelecki
24-05-2006, 23:21
They probably would take you but only if you pass their stupid aptitude test (supposedly easy, I never did it). There are only 2 roles now, the main one is a customer service advisor and the second one is a technician. You'll be lucky to get a technician job but you have more chance than someone who wants full time (they are pushing for part times now, it's cheaper and more flexible for them). CSAs are what 'one team' is all about (you may have read, PC World got rid of the sales advisor role officially from feb and people no longer get paid commission, supposedly to bring up customer service standards or to hide the fact that they are trying to save money). As a CSA you will have to work across all of the store, from the tills, to selling, administration to warehousing and customer service. Technician is now considered an Expert role together with Business Centre people and they don't participate in one team as much (although they still help make up the team of course!). I worked as a Technician for PC World but have just left as I have finished university now and want to get a proper job (in Essex, know any going!?)! It is good experience but I don't think many employers would take much notice of it and you will have to put up with the occasional jibe from people who don't work for DSGi. PM me if you wnat any more info.

nffc
24-05-2006, 23:51
They probably would take you but only if you pass their stupid aptitude test (supposedly easy, I never did it). There are only 2 roles now, the main one is a customer service advisor and the second one is a technician. You'll be lucky to get a technician job but you have more chance than someone who wants full time (they are pushing for part times now, it's cheaper and more flexible for them). CSAs are what 'one team' is all about (you may have read, PC World got rid of the sales advisor role officially from feb and people no longer get paid commission, supposedly to bring up customer service standards or to hide the fact that they are trying to save money). As a CSA you will have to work across all of the store, from the tills, to selling, administration to warehousing and customer service. Technician is now considered an Expert role together with Business Centre people and they don't participate in one team as much (although they still help make up the team of course!). I worked as a Technician for PC World but have just left as I have finished university now and want to get a proper job (in Essex, know any going!?)! It is good experience but I don't think many employers would take much notice of it and you will have to put up with the occasional jibe from people who don't work for DSGi. PM me if you wnat any more info.
Just out of sheer curiosity - what kind of levels of expertise do the store CSAs / Tech have - paper or otherwise?

MadGamer
24-05-2006, 23:53
Just out of sheer curiosity - what kind of levels of expertise do the store CSAs / Tech have - paper or otherwise? Thats what id like to know.

Strzelecki
25-05-2006, 00:40
CSAs at the store I worked at ranged from virtually no PC knowledge to people studying various computer courses at university. Techs ranged from not paper qulifications to the usual A+, N+, Apple certs, Microsoft product knowledge certificates to BSc in Computer Science and 10 years of tinkering/experience (me:D). The most knowledgable and experienced staff didn't always have qualifications to back themselves up, they were trapped there because of that and underpaid but when you are at uni the job seemed well paid! Passing the tests doesn't mean a thing really, since they started using the new ones (around Christmas) they abilities of people they have employed seems to have gone down together with a lot of good staff leaving due to pay cuts from 'one team'. What store were you thinking of working at? Smaller ones seem better (Chelmsford?), you work load is a lot smaller, our diary was always booked up a month in advance (it wouldn't let you book any further than this!)..

LSainsbury
25-05-2006, 19:31
MadGamer: at least you can spell "PC" :-)