PDA

View Full Version : Page caching problem

BenGoodson
24-05-2006, 18:29
Hi,

First post and all that so please be gentle :-)

I've been trying to teach myself CSS today and it's been a bit of a nightmare. Not because CSS is especially hard, but because my web page is just not updating with the new ftp files. As I like to check my work as I go along this makes things really frustrating. I know a little bit about the web but not loads. I'm running a power mac G5 with the latest version of mac os and safari. I've emptied safaris cache and reset it several times. Every other page on the web seems to be fine. So I don't think it's the browser. My friend hosts the site for me and I've checked that the server isn't caching files. So I asked a question over on the apple forums and someone replied that my ISP might be caching pages.

I did a check through proxify and the page displays just as I have written it. Back through safari nativel and nowt. The same old page I ftp-deleted two days ago! Anyone have any advice as to how I can solve this problem?

Graham M
24-05-2006, 18:31
If you are on NTL, every page you view is through a proxy, on Windows PCs at least to force-refresh a page you hit ctrl+f5.

BenGoodson
24-05-2006, 18:40
Yep I'm on NTL (hence the post ;-))

Forcing a refresh doesn't work. Resetting safari doesn't work. Could the proxy server be serving up a cached two day old page over and over just to my browser?

*edit*

Seems like I'm on the luton 2 proxy.

It's weird that it's just the one page I'm updating through ftp (which I don't believe goes through a proxy). So the ftp makes the edit happen straight away. But the proxy doesn't serve it up to me. It serves me an old page.

altis
24-05-2006, 19:25
Try putting '?1' at the end of the URL. Then '?2' the next time etc.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html