PDA

View Full Version : New install (supposedly today...)

atpcz
23-05-2006, 16:53
Signed up last Tuesday for the 10mb install (currently on 2mb Zen non-adslmax). Excited that the install was going to be today...

ARRRGHHH! When I got home last night there was a nice bit of scrawled writing on a ripped piece of paper telling me that my install date has been moved to the 16 JUNE!!! I pooped myself thinking that I'd got the dates wrong and they tried to do it but cos no one was in they buggered off!

The engineer also left a voicemail saying that he came to do an intial check in preparation for today, and noticed that I don't have any "pipes" or something like that leading to my property, therefore he needs to book a maintenance team to come and rip up the pavement outside my house. He said to call customer services. Which I did. Only to be told that that was the only day they could do it.

GRRR

So I've got another 3 frigging weeks to wait. What a great start... You'd think that they'd check the status of the property a bit earlier than 1 day before the install date in case of this kind of thing....

sigh

Slyder
23-05-2006, 17:42
So I've got another 3 frigging weeks to wait. What a great start... You'd think that they'd check the status of the property a bit earlier than 1 day before the install date in case of this kind of thing.... sigh

That sucks mate.. but the moral of the story is make sure you stay in on the installation date given. :)

Paul K
23-05-2006, 17:47
Install date was tomorrow according to OP, engineer was out to do a pre-install check and saw that the install wasn't going to be done on time as there was a problem.

Neil
23-05-2006, 17:54
Install date was tomorrow according to OP, engineer was out to do a pre-install check and saw that the install wasn't going to be done on time as there was a problem.

No-the install date was today, but ntl left a piece of paper through the door when the OP got home last night.

Signed up last Tuesday for the 10mb install (currently on 2mb Zen non-adslmax). Excited that the install was going to be today...

ARRRGHHH! When I got home last night there was a nice bit of scrawled writing on a ripped piece of paper telling me that my install date has been moved to the 16 JUNE!!! I pooped myself thinking that I'd got the dates wrong and they tried to do it but cos no one was in they buggered off!

@atpcz-welcome to the joys of dealing with ntl & their *ahem* professionalism.....

:welcome: to the site too! :D

Druchii
23-05-2006, 18:14
Telwest did exactly the same, in fact, they waited until the day of install to check that the pipes were ok. Really bad service and we had to wait a week for our install. But, all they did was send another team out who managed to get a cable through to us just fine without ripping up the pavement.

Sorry it's taking a little longer than expected for you.

SLM
23-05-2006, 18:17
@atpcz-welcome to the joys of dealing with ntl & their *ahem* professionalism.....

Yeah nice one Neil, your slagging ntl off for doing something correct, even if ntl could get out last week when the OP first signed up he would still have to wait for the work to be carried out, at least they did it before the day of install so the OP does not have to take a day of work for example.

Neil, ntl are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

atpcz
23-05-2006, 18:32
i don't mind them having to come on a different day, but to have to wait another 3 weeks?? thats what annoys me. and anyway, i was planning on working from home today anyway so it didn't bother me that much (well apart from i had to go into work instead of playing xbox360 every now and then inbetween fireing off the odd email)

16th june. god dam. oh and hi btw

kibblerok
23-05-2006, 18:58
where in the country are you? you can call customer services and ask them to check with despatch teesside to see if there have been any cancellations for the construction team

To be fair you are lucky... I know its an inconvenience but its virtually impossible for ntl to have predicted the situation and check early on after placing the order for any problems at your property. Its suprising how many blocked ducts (pipes) and hidden/covered/blocked T's there are - but compared to the number of installs done per day its pretty rare.

atpcz
23-05-2006, 19:56
i'm in bexley, south london. i might do what you say and ask about cancellations for the construction team, thanks.

Neil
23-05-2006, 22:25
Yeah nice one Neil, your slagging ntl off for doing something correct, even if ntl could get out last week when the OP first signed up he would still have to wait for the work to be carried out, at least they did it before the day of install so the OP does not have to take a day of work for example.

Neil, ntl are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

I think you ought to read what ntl did again....

Very professional....

The engineer also left a voicemail saying that he came to do an intial check in preparation for today, and noticed that I don't have any "pipes" or something like that leading to my property, therefore he needs to book a maintenance team to come and rip up the pavement outside my house. He said to call customer services. Which I did. Only to be told that that was the only day they could do it.

And the reason ntl didn't contact the customer direct was because......?

kibblerok
23-05-2006, 22:54
And the reason ntl didn't contact the customer direct was because......?
Because the phone was off or the customer was busy at a guess, thats why it went to voicemail... customer services number was left as a point of contact.

What else could ntl do? they left a note and tried phoning. At the end of the day the message was passed on via two methods, if ntl had kept trying to speak direct all they would have said was the same that they did on the note and voicemail.

If he had left a bouquet of flowers on the doorstep to say sorry they would have been the wrong colour wouldnt they?! :rolleyes: :)

atpcz
24-05-2006, 13:17
They phoned my home number. But I was at work...I could have sworn I gave them that number as well.

And no, the flowers would have been appreciated - I could have given them to the misses and said they were from me ;). Then I would have forgiven ntl, lol

atpcz
22-06-2006, 12:14
Ok so now I'm mad...:mad:

Install STILL hasn't happened, and I don't think it will now...

13th June - Construction apparantly turn up, complete work and go

14th June - I call CS to confirm that it happened, they confirm it has, and that a 2 man install team have been assigned and it should go ahead on the 16th. I say that nothing seems to have been done outside my property apart from spray marks on the pavement. He says that the likelihood is that they used my neighbours access point.

15th June - I get home around 8:30pm to find that theres a message on my answerphone. Same lead engineer, saying he sent a 2 man team in advance of the installation to check it was all ok, and that they found a blockage, so he's cancelled the installation tomorrow...I fume, call CS only to find that they've closed and I have to wait until the following day (spoke to India)...

16th June - I take the day off as CS opens at 8am to find out whats going on. Havn't gone mad at them yet, as I actually WANT ntl and will leave the moaning proper until its all installed. They confirm that there was a problem, and I ask when construction will come back out and if I need to wait another year to have the install completed. He speaks to the lead engineer who says that he has told the construction team to go back on the Saturday (17th) to complete the works. I say fine.

17th June - I have to work Saturday (boo) so when I get home I ask the other half if ntl came. She couldn't be sure but doesn't think so. Again, nothing appears to have been carried out outside my property.

19th June - I call construction and say "well, is it done?" They say not sure, lead engineer hasn't checked. He is due there today, but it means I have to call back on the 20th as they take a day to call in their report.

21st June - Call construction again. They say that he wasn't happy with the work that took place and the blockage is still there. I say "well when on earth are they going to actually fix this?" They say that he has arranged for the team to go back on the 22nd (today) to put it right, and they will definately fix it. They also pencil me in for the installation team to be onsite on the 23rd (tomorrow). I said "wait a minute, I have to wait a day before you confirm that construction actually completed the works, so how can you gaurantee theh 23rd?". "Good point" says construction, how about an install on Saturday pm? "Ok" I say.

22nd June - I am working from home today as my hot water tank is being replaced. I watch construction arrive, lift up the pavement, dig, cut, and put in an access point. They send a yellow cable down under the pavement and mutter something. They clean up, cement in the access point and leave. Fingers crossed.

Now get this...you honestly couldn't make this crap up:

I get a phone call from construction about an hour later to say that they completed work, but they advised that there was a blockage further down the road, which is in the middle of the road. They would need to close the road to open it up. They arn't able to close the road as they say it has to stay open. Therefore there is nothing more they can do. No install.

I say "what the hell, how can my neighbour be ok then?" They say that existing customers are ok, its just they can't put any new cables in for new customers. "Can't I use my neighbours access point?" No.

So that appears to be it. I have to contact the council to ask why the road can't be closed. I asked ntl on average how long would it take to clear a blockage like this and they said a couple of hours. I can count the number of cars that have actually gone through the road during the time they were here on 3 fingers.

Its not even a through road, it's a cul-de-sac for god's sake!!

And if they couldn't clear the blockage why on earth did they bother to put in the access point???

It seems to me that they did sweet sod all the other times they alleged to come round.

Its taken a month. They've done naff all. They now say that unless they get more requests from new customers in the road, or that the water company etc. need to dig up the road theres nothing they can do. They even said that it wasn't for financial reasons that they can't dig up the road.

There is one thing that annoies me the most. The lead engineer comes the day before the install. That, quite frankly, is crap. If they do need to send construction out again they have to cancel the install. What a load of rubbish. That pushs the install date back further and further. Then you have to wait a day before you can call ntl to see if the work they did was any good!!

Anyone else had this happen to them? I'm now off to try and speak to the council....

Is there anyone from ntl on here who can advise? I really want 10mb :(

FFS. :mad: