PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Tumble Drier....

Pia
22-05-2006, 22:48
I really really want to order a tumble dryer out of the catalogue tonight so i have it as soon as possible, but i don't know which one to go for...

Basically i want to spend as little as possible but i don't mind paying a teeny bit more if it's a better bargain quality-wise...

Just wondered which one you lot would order from here:

http://www.kayslifestyle.co.uk/psnlnet/shop/KaysLS/category.aspx?old_view_size=11&sdg_fh_page=index.jsp&fh_reffacet=categories&fh_eds=%3f&fh_usertype=kayslsc3&fh_refview=summary&fh_refpath=facet_0000001&fh_location=%2f%2fpersonals%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3 c%7b15000%7d%2fcategories%3c%7b15015%7d%2fcategori es%3c%7b15108%7d&listtype=list%C2%A0&fh_view_size=47

How does that Creda one work with the front condenser does the filter just get it all?

handyman
22-05-2006, 23:09
Pia...

The white knight compact tumbler has not changed much over the last 20 years. (I have one its great) It's the same as you'll get in creda and phiullips brands among others and is a work horse. Its gonna last ages and when it does start to go parts are readily available.

I was about to have a go at the catalogues but thats not a bad price. I think if you looked about you'd maybe pick one up for £80 though.

Try ringing Rollos electrical services on Borough road, m/bro. (might be under RES) they often have very slight seconds (very very slight you'd never know).

Pia
22-05-2006, 23:14
Thanks handyman, though my reasons for going with a typically overpriced catalogue is that i have no ready money and couldn't get one outright, i thought i go for the 40 weeks interest free with Kays.. (and to take advantage of the fact they have given me a stupid credit limit of £4,000 that i can't even afford, irresponsible morons lol)

Someone said this one was best what do you think? http://www.kayslifestyle.co.uk/psnlnet/product.aspx?brand=KaysLS&cat_id=15108&zone_id=0&prod_id=200366&fh_secondid=200366&fh_view_size=47&fh_eds=%3f&fh_usertype=kayslsc3&fh_location=%2f%2fpersonals%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3 c%7b15000%7d%2fcategories%3c%7b15015%7d%2fcategori es%3c%7b15108%7d&fh_refview=lister

handyman
22-05-2006, 23:25
Well its £75 more and is a full size tumbler. I guess it must be more efficient with the power given the A rating. Worth noting that it could take many many years to recoup a £75 leccy saving though.

White knight cant really be knocked.

Depends what you want it for. It's summer coming up so its getting on for drying out side weather.

DaggaDagga
22-05-2006, 23:28
You'd be much better off with a condenser one if you don't have anywhere to vent to. You'll wreck the house if you fill it with steam - they really do belt it out.

I've never seen a portable condenser, don't know how they work. I believe the condenser ones may be more energy efficient, as they recirculate the same (warm) air. A vented one puffs out warm air, so the heater has to run more. I don't know this for a fact, but it seems likely to my little brain.

I've had my washer/drier apart. It's simple but effective. The steam pumps out of the bottom of the drum, and rises up a tube and goes back in the top. All it does is it trickles a bit of cold water down the tube the steam rises up, condensing it. The trickle of cold water + condensed steam collects in the bottom and gets pumped out now and then.

handyman
22-05-2006, 23:29
Hmm never been a fan of condensor tumblers though. Generally they are twice the price and twice as likely to break. (from experience of fixing them for a living)

Easy enough to pop the vent out of the window/door when you need to use it and you can get vents 5m long very cheap.

DaggaDagga
22-05-2006, 23:34
From the selection on that Kays site, it looks like the vented ones are more efficient. Makes no sense to me.

I'd go for the Bosch one. I got fed up with Hoover and Indesit breaking down, so when I fitted a new kitchen I splashed out on Bosch everything (well actually Neff, but Siemens Bosch and Neff are the same company). Possibly cheaper in the long run - only time will tell.

Gareth
22-05-2006, 23:35
Pia, sorry for this, but I'm about to hijack your thread.

DaggaDagga, our washer/dryer has just packed-in... well the dryer has. When you say it's "simple but effective" is it simple enough for someone like me to take apart and work out what's bust? I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer and I tend to plod along till I understand how stuff works, so I don't want to make it worse (cause the missus would go spare!). Should I just call the repair man instead?

Pia
22-05-2006, 23:43
lol it's alright Gareth, hijack away..:D

I can't believe i spelled dryer/drier wrong i was wondering why it didn't look right.. off to try edit:D :dunce:

I think i'll be ordering the White Knight one i posted, and i'm gonna try a 20% promo code so that'll be a bonus...

I know it's a bit of a random time of year to buy one but going by the last few weeks weather and the fact it's not cold enough to blast the heating on to dry clothes on radiators then it's time i invested in one of these babies:D
(plus i hate spiders and there's always loads living on the washing line, which is a good enough excuse in itself:rofl:) :disturbd:

DaggaDagga
22-05-2006, 23:47
Pia, consider yourself hijacked!

I suspect Handyman knows a lot more than me, I'm just a washing machine hacker.

The main problem with mine at least is that there's no fluff filter on the drier, only on the washer. It relies on the trickle of water keeping the tube clear. Mine once got caked up, and I just had to pull the tube off and wash it out in the bath.

But it could be anything. Is the washer working OK?

Mine has a motor for the drum (obviously), a water pump to empty it and a small fan at the top of the drum that recirculates the air.

Find out whether the water pump is running (by running a wash cycle), then try running a drying cycle. If one of these makes nothing happen and you just get a buzzing noise then one of them has packed in.

I've just replaced my water pump, they get a lot of work in washer driers, coz it has to run for both.

A warning - washer driers are a pig to work on, as you wouldn't believe how everything is crammed in - they are two units in one box after all.

bopdude
22-05-2006, 23:49
Pia, sorry for this, but I'm about to hijack your thread.

DaggaDagga, our washer/dryer has just packed-in... well the dryer has. When you say it's "simple but effective" is it simple enough for someone like me to take apart and work out what's bust? I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer and I tend to plod along till I understand how stuff works, so I don't want to make it worse (cause the missus would go spare!). Should I just call the repair man instead?

When you say the dryer has packed in what do you mean ? Is it going through the cycle but the cloths are coming out dripping, or when it gets to the dry stage does it just sit there ?

DaggaDagga
22-05-2006, 23:49
I can't believe i spelled dryer/drier wrong

I don't think you did, it's probably me that's wrong. Kays spell it your way. I'm normally OK at spelling, but I'll use the excuse that it's not a proper word.

Gareth
22-05-2006, 23:51
Thanks Dagga & Bop... the washer is fine, it's the tuble dryer that's packed in. Clothes come out as wet as they went in. I think I might have a poke around on the weekend, and if I can't get my head round it, then I'll call a professional.

Pia, whatever you do, steer clear of Candy... actually, thinking about it, d'you wanna buy my washer/dryer from me...? I'll do you a special deal - mate's rates ;)

Oh, and my spelling sux0rs, so don't believe whatever I type ;)

DaggaDagga
22-05-2006, 23:55
Dryer and drier are both correct according to dictionary.com.

The professional may double his fee when he sees the mountain of parts that he needs to reassemble!

Can you hear the air fan running? On mine there a distinct fan noise that starts up just after switching on the driyiyiiyyer.

Pia
23-05-2006, 00:00
Well i ordered the White Knight 'A Class' one from the earlier link, gonna take 2 weeks:D

DaggaDagga
23-05-2006, 00:00
Pia - I agree that your choice looks good.

...and White Knight are made in Halifax, where I'm from. I used to drive past the factory regularly. They are put together by honest, reliable, hard working northerners :) Well actually, by whoever the temping agency send.

bopdude
23-05-2006, 00:06
Thanks Dagga & Bop... the washer is fine, it's the tuble dryer that's packed in. Clothes come out as wet as they went in.

Sounds like possibly the element has packed up and gone saaf ;) when you wash your cloths next ( or do a test without cloths ) feel the front glass of the washer / driiyeriiieriir thingy, is it hot ? Has it got a hot and cold feed water supply ?

Gareth
23-05-2006, 00:17
Yeah, there's heat when it washes, just not when it dries.

Jules
23-05-2006, 00:21
Does it have a temp reset button on the back like an ordinary drier?

Gareth
23-05-2006, 00:24
Dunno, mate... I'll have a look when I get some time on the weekend. It was only a cheap thing (relatively speaking), so not sure if it's got one or not.

bopdude
23-05-2006, 00:24
Yeah, there's heat when it washes, just not when it dries.

Mmmm, haven't delved that far into mine..............yet, only as far as the bra wire caught thingy :rolleyes: :D
I don't know but maybe there are 2 elements, 1 for washing and one for drying, failing that, it sounds like maybe a switch wire coming off the controler, or busted controller, or fuse...........................could be a number of things.

Let us know how your getting on with the strip down :D :tu:

Jules
23-05-2006, 00:29
If it does Garth it will be on the back and it is like a big plastic thingy that you just press you dont even need to open it up to have a look as it is on the outside :)

Nidge
23-05-2006, 04:58
We've had a White Knight for over 5 years and nothing has gone wrong with it. They are a cracking machine.

LSainsbury
23-05-2006, 10:16
Well i ordered the White Knight 'A Class' one from the earlier link, gonna take 2 weeks:D

Pia - don't forget two things:

A) - Summer is coming - do you really need one - clothes will dry outside!

B) - May bank holiday coming up - bargins to be had!!!

Oops - already ordered - shame!! :disturbd:

orangebird
23-05-2006, 10:26
I really really want to order a tumble dryer out of the catalogue tonight so i have it as soon as possible, but i don't know which one to go for...

Basically i want to spend as little as possible but i don't mind paying a teeny bit more if it's a better bargain quality-wise...

Just wondered which one you lot would order from here:

http://www.kayslifestyle.co.uk/psnlnet/shop/KaysLS/category.aspx?old_view_size=11&sdg_fh_page=index.jsp&fh_reffacet=categories&fh_eds=%3f&fh_usertype=kayslsc3&fh_refview=summary&fh_refpath=facet_0000001&fh_location=%2f%2fpersonals%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3 c%7b15000%7d%2fcategories%3c%7b15015%7d%2fcategori es%3c%7b15108%7d&listtype=list%C2%A0&fh_view_size=47

How does that Creda one work with the front condenser does the filter just get it all?

Regarding ventilation, these (http://www.betterware.co.uk/productdetails.aspx?pid=016825&language=en-GB)are good Pia :tu:

Pia
23-05-2006, 10:59
Pia - don't forget two things:

A) - Summer is coming - do you really need one - clothes will dry outside!

B) - May bank holiday coming up - bargins to be had!!!

Oops - already ordered - shame!! :disturbd:
But don't forget we are in England, and the sun doesn't stay in my garden for long it's only really dry-worthy early on a morning... and besides, once i set my mind on something i have to do it cos i'm stubborn:p::p:

OB- thanks for that looks good:tu:

Pia
23-05-2006, 14:29
While we're on the subject...

My washer has been making funny noises for a while, my mam reckons it might have something stuck in it, but sometimes, like just now, the washing comes out still quite wet... Is this fixable without paying out for a repairman?

It's a hotpoint, i've had it from brand new for 2 and a half years...
>edit- it's this top one: http://www.ogormans.co.uk/firstedition.htm

handyman
23-05-2006, 14:34
You could have something stuck in the drain. If you know someone with a set up pump pliers you can take the machine outside drain it and then remove the sump (the pipe connected to the pump).
There might be something stuck in that or the pump.
If its had some hammer you might be due a set of carbon bush's, again not something I'd reccomend you fit your self but if you have some one thats handy with a screwdriver its a 5 minutes job.

Pia
23-05-2006, 14:41
You could have something stuck in the drain. If you know someone with a set up pump pliers you can take the machine outside drain it and then remove the sump (the pipe connected to the pump).
There might be something stuck in that or the pump.
If its had some hammer you might be due a set of carbon bush's, again not something I'd reccomend you fit your self but if you have some one thats handy with a screwdriver its a 5 minutes job.
Not sure if i know anyone with stuff like that, my mam said it was a case of taking the lid off and having a scout around inside:disturbd:

I wouldn't say it's been hammered tbh, i only really use it about 3-4 times a week, though i've been told i overfill it sometimes...

Pia
16-06-2006, 12:53
Well..... my washer stopped making noises, until i put it on a rinse and spin cycle:confused:

Anyway, the tumble drier came, and it's brill:D
It's like magic, the clothes are dry and ready to put away like, half an hour after they were washed:D And they smell soo nice and are super soft, i can't believe i did without one of these when my little lad was a tiny baby!

handyman
16-06-2006, 13:00
Wait till you get your leccy bill :)

If your washers making noises only on rinse and spin then that's about the onlyu time the pump is used so I still think you might have summat caught in the pump.

homealone
16-06-2006, 13:14

If your washers making noises only on rinse and spin then that's about the onlyu time the pump is used so I still think you might have summat caught in the pump.

reminded me of our neighbours, when we had a council flat in London. She happened to mention that she did her tumble drying at night 'when electricity is cheaper'. "Do you have an economy 7 meter, then?" we asked - "no, what is one of them?", she said. Oh dear ;)

Gareth
16-06-2006, 13:21
Anyway, the tumble drier came, and it's brill:D
It's like magic, the clothes are dry and ready to put away like, half an hour after they were washed:D And they smell soo nice and are super soft, i can't believe i did without one of these when my little lad was a tiny baby!
you'd have had Esther Rantzen and Childline kicking your door in if you had tried putting your son in the tumble dryer to make him smell nicer!

;)

Pia
16-06-2006, 13:23

It should be okay, after all there's only 2 of us, and it's one of them A Class efficient ones!

Is it easy to get something out of the pump? Could i do it myself?:dist: I don't even know where it is:erm:

Angua
16-06-2006, 14:55

If your washers making noises only on rinse and spin then that's about the onlyu time the pump is used so I still think you might have summat caught in the pump. It should be okay, after all there's only 2 of us, and it's one of them A Class efficient ones!

Is it easy to get something out of the pump? Could i do it myself?:dist: I don't even know where it is:erm:
If it is only taking half an hour you are not using the energy efficient button (I leave mine going overnight on that as it takes a good few hours). ;)

Pia
16-06-2006, 17:25
I haven't yet, cos i built up loads of washing while i was waiting for it so just got it done quick! I will in future though:D

Nidge
16-06-2006, 19:15
It should be okay, after all there's only 2 of us, and it's one of them A Class efficient ones!

You should have a little hatch at the bottom of the washer Pia, all the stuff drops into there, there might be a bra wire making all the noise.

Pia
16-06-2006, 19:26
It's leaking mucky water a bit now:erm: Would the wire or whatever it is be causing that too?

Nidge
16-06-2006, 19:36
It's leaking mucky water a bit now:erm: Would the wire or whatever it is be causing that too?

It might be stopping your pump from pumping the water away by sticking to the fins of the pump, I've found alsorts in my machine, lighters, money, screws and I wonder why it makes a noise every now and then.

Pia
16-06-2006, 19:43
Hmmmm, thanks Nidge, so this hatch you mentioned, do i need to unscrew things to get to it?:erm:

Nidge
16-06-2006, 20:13
Hmmmm, thanks Nidge, so this hatch you mentioned, do i need to unscrew things to get to it?:erm:
No you should be able to get to it without the need to unscrew anything, it's like a drop tray.

Pia
16-06-2006, 22:49
Okay thanks Nidge i'll have a look in the morning!

Jules
17-06-2006, 10:44
To be honest I put everything that I can in the tumble dryer as it all comes out so much softer

Nidge
17-06-2006, 12:50
To be honest I put everything that I can in the tumble dryer as it all comes out so much softer

My cat decided to have a kip in the tumble dryer a few years ago, I loaded it up with clothes then set it going, about 10 minutes later I went back into the kitchen after the tumble dryer started making a thumping noise, I opened it up the cat jumped out all frizzed up.:D :D

homealone
17-06-2006, 12:53

I still prefer towels that have dried outside, I like them rough, as they seem to dry you better???

- oh & cotton sheets & pillow cases, too :)

Pia
17-06-2006, 12:55
My cat decided to have a kip in the tumble dryer a few years ago, I loaded it up with clothes then set it going, about 10 minutes later I went back into the kitchen after the tumble dryer started making a thumping noise, I opened it up the cat jumped out all frizzed up.:D :D
:Yikes::shocked: LOL:rofl:

I've just been investigating, i had to unscrew 2 screws to get into a hatch looking thing, anyway there wasn't much under there, but just as i was gving up i noticed a wire poking out of the black pipe- a bra wire, as suspected:dozey:

Anyway i pulled it out, but now of course, there's a hole in the pipe, and the picture below shows what happens when it's filling up... highlighted the hole in grey.
Is there such a thing as a puncture repair kit or something similar for this, cos my kitchen is semi flooded at the moment and i don't think sellotape will do:rofl:

homealone
17-06-2006, 13:05
I've just been investigating, i had to unscrew 2 screws to get into a hatch looking thing, anyway there wasn't much under there, but just as i was gving up i noticed a wire poking out of the black pipe- a bra wire, as suspected:dozey:

Anyway i pulled it out, but now of course, there's a hole in the pipe, and the picture below shows what happens when it's filling up... highlighted the hole in grey.
Is there such a thing as a puncture repair kit or something similar for this, cos my kitchen is semi flooded at the moment and i don't think sellotape will do:rofl:

I think you will need handyman or iadom to advise you on that one, Pia - as that pipe looks like it is designed to flex, it will be difficult to patch it - you may have to replace it. Sorry :(

Jules
17-06-2006, 13:10
Sods law isn't it, you have a lovely new dryer to dry your clothes in but nothing to wash them in lol

DaggaDagga
17-06-2006, 13:39
I wouldn't bother trying to patch it - it'll only leak later.

You should be able to buy the black rubber bit from a good spares place. I don't have a clue what they're called, and I doubt it will have a part number on it.

Jules
17-06-2006, 14:06
As a temporary measure you could try duct tape

Pia
17-06-2006, 14:40
i wonder how much the black pipe thingy is and how to fit it..? I'll have to try your method until Monday Jules, i'll see if there's any duct tape at work:D:disturbd:

---------- Post added at 14:40 ---------- Previous post was at 14:21 ----------

Mmmm is it this? http://www.partmaster.co.uk/cgi-bin/product.pl?PID=640382&section=8274&brand=Hotpoint&model=WMA10P

homealone
17-06-2006, 14:45
i wonder how much the black pipe thingy is and how to fit it..? I'll have to try your method until Monday Jules, i'll see if there's any duct tape at work:D:disturbd:

From the piccy it looks like it attaches to the pump with a 'ratchet' type clip, which you'd remove by lifting the top lug & easing the 'tongue' out of the centre. Replacement would involve simply squeezing the two sides tightly together & the ratchet will 'catch' the central tongue & prevent it coming out.

- unfortunately you can't see from the pic how it attaches to the drum housing, I'd imagine some kind of jubilee clip???

I'm sure if you could get it off a local repair place would be able to identify a replacement, & it shouldn't be too expensive???

<edit> The partmaster pic looks similar - is your model number listed as compatible??

Pia
17-06-2006, 15:09
From the piccy it looks like it attaches to the pump with a 'ratchet' type clip, which you'd remove by lifting the top lug & easing the 'tongue' out of the centre. Replacement would involve simply squeezing the two sides tightly together & the ratchet will 'catch' the central tongue & prevent it coming out. :disturbd::disturbd: A ratchet? Is that a tool, or what is already on there? Am i likely to have one of those:erm:

- unfortunately you can't see from the pic how it attaches to the drum housing, I'd imagine some kind of jubilee clip??? It seems to have a silver band around it keeping it on the white bit:shrug:
<edit> The partmaster pic looks similar - is your model number listed as compatible?? Yeah it says it's compatible...

homealone
17-06-2006, 15:29
From the piccy it looks like it attaches to the pump with a 'ratchet' type clip, which you'd remove by lifting the top lug & easing the 'tongue' out of the centre. Replacement would involve simply squeezing the two sides tightly together & the ratchet will 'catch' the central tongue & prevent it coming out. :disturbd::disturbd: A ratchet? Is that a tool, or what is already on there? Am i likely to have one of those:erm:

- unfortunately you can't see from the pic how it attaches to the drum housing, I'd imagine some kind of jubilee clip??? It seems to have a silver band around it keeping it on the white bit:shrug:
<edit> The partmaster pic looks similar - is your model number listed as compatible?? Yeah it says it's compatible...

The ratchet is already built into the clip, it is designed like sharks teeth, which point backwards, so if you put your arm in its mouth, you can't pull it out again. On the clip, though, you can do what is not easy with the shark, which is bend the top part upwards, so you can pull the 'arm' out.

The 'silver band' does sound like a kind of jubilee clip, but I'd want to see a bit better how it goes together at that end, before advising you to buy the part :)

Nidge
17-06-2006, 18:05
:Yikes::shocked: LOL:rofl:

Dry the pipe then put some gaffa tape round the hole, it will get you through till you can get it fixed

DaggaDagga
18-06-2006, 22:08
I don't think that's the right part. Get the two photos side by side and spot the difference.

It says it's a dispenser pipe or something. This looks like it's for the waste pump. In fact I'm sure it's the waste pump - isn't that the grey outlet hose on the other side of the pump? You'd be best taking the part to a parts shop, otherwise you'll spend a fortune on posting the wrong bits back and forth.

Jubilee clips are easy to remove. It's just a screw that pulls a metal band tight. Undo it with a screwdriver lots of turns until it goes slack.

The white plastic clip looks like it might be a throwaway one. Twang it open and see what happens. If it breaks then it can't be too expensive. You could replace it with a jubilee clip anyway. These snap shut things are only used in factories so they don't have to pay someone to turn a screwdriver. In fact, you probably can't get it tight enough without whatever special tool they use in the factory (it will need an almighty squeeze) Jubilee clips will be pence from the parts shop where you get the black thingy.

AndrewJ
18-06-2006, 22:23
Duck tape it :D

DaggaDagga
18-06-2006, 22:43

This tube links the drum (which rocks) to the pump (which doesn't). Any puncture repair won't last, as it's bent and stretched about continually. And it's an awkward shape.

homealone
18-06-2006, 23:34

This tube links the drum (which rocks) to the pump (which doesn't). Any puncture repair won't last, as it's bent and stretched about continually. And it's an awkward shape.

I agree, plus any solvent used to stick the duct/gaffa tape to the hose will begin to degrade it, also.

Pia needs to remove the hose with the hole, and get it to a local shop, they will sort her out with a compatible replacement.

Jubilee clips should work for both ends of the hose connection :angel:

Pia
18-06-2006, 23:36
Okay i've got a confession...:disturbd:

Tonight i wanted to do a quick wash... so instead of flooding the kitchen (and the insane thought of handwashing:erm:) i tied a load of cling film (it's all i could find:D) round that black pipe:rofl:
It worked though:shrug:

Seriously gonna have to get it sorted tomorrow..my mother reckons hotpoint do free parts for appliances under 5 years old?

homealone
18-06-2006, 23:55
Okay i've got a confession...:disturbd:

Tonight i wanted to do a quick wash... so instead of flooding the kitchen (and the insane thought of handwashing:erm:) i tied a load of cling film (it's all i could find:D) round that black pipe:rofl:
It worked though:shrug:

Seriously gonna have to get it sorted tomorrow..my mother reckons hotpoint do free parts for appliances under 5 years old?

actually, now you have removed the bra wire, you should be able to claim the hose failed - can they prove otherwise? - good luck ;)

Pia
18-06-2006, 23:56
actually, now you have removed the bra wire, you should be able to claim the hose failed - can they prove otherwise? - good luck ;)
Oooo i like your style:D

I'll give them a ring tomorrow, even if it only saves a couple of quid, it at least saves the hassle of possibly getting the wrong part from a shop! :tu:

Stuart
19-06-2006, 00:20
Oooo i like your style:D

I'll give them a ring tomorrow, even if it only saves a couple of quid, it at least saves the hassle of possibly getting the wrong part from a shop! :tu:

I doubt they'll even query it. After all, the hose probably costs them almost nothing.

DaggaDagga
19-06-2006, 10:51
Check the small print, but usually these 5 year things are free parts IF you use their approved repairer. So it will cost you £50 in labour instead of £5 for the part.

You don't get owt for nowt!

A temporary repair will probably half-seal it, so it'll weep and rust the machine over time. Probably good enough for an emergency measure though.

Pia
29-05-2007, 23:45
A one year thread bump...... but as i can tell from this thread i got my tumble drier around the beginning of June last year, approx one year ago.....

So all has been well, until now.....

The drier makes a banging sound as it turns, even when it's empty, this is just recently come about, but it's very annoying. Also i've noticed that the back of the drum is cracked inside..... is that what's causing the noise? Do i need to get a new drier? Can i phone White Knight direct about it? If i'm still under a one year warranty do i need to contact the catalogue direct, because i don't deal with them anymore since all my debt is being dealt with by a third party?!:blush::erm:

Help appreciated:tu:

Pia
30-05-2007, 18:12
Anyone?!:(

papa smurf
30-05-2007, 18:31
i have a length of white telephone cable streached between two poles,had it 20 years now, never lets me down,cheap to run [just keep loosing pegs]good for the plannet 0 carbon emisions:angel:

joglynne
30-05-2007, 18:45
Pia do you still have the paper work for the dryer? The guarantee documents should tell you what you can do.

add. am just going to see if I can find mine as I have a White Knight as well. Won't be a moment:D

OK. Have found my documents. My White Knight Tumble Dryer was bought through a local Electrical Retailer but the Service card that came with it states that Crosslee (the makers-www.crosslee.co.uk) have agreements with Whirlpool(UK)Ltd (0870 6008989) and Service Force(0870 929929) to carry out after sales product support. Hope this info may be helpful,

Jo

Pia
30-05-2007, 21:46
Thanks, i'll give them and ring and see what they say.. i'd rep but i gotta spread it first:D:tu:

Alien
31-05-2007, 02:05
Yup, always good for a quack repair. :disturbd:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alien42/images_to_link_to/Duck%20Tape.jpg

Pia
24-06-2007, 22:09
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i'm not happy...

Now my machine is totally kaput :mad::mad::mad::td:

Since the drum was cracked i haven't been using it too much, but i did contact White Knight via email as phoning them proved a little of a challenge:erm:.
However, tonight i have used it, it still worked as normal but i had to make sure i didn't put anything with strings or ties in cos they get caught in the cracks and twist.
So into the cycle tonight it starts making a VERY unhealthy noise, and the cracks are 100 times worse. I had phoned the local appliance repair people and he said i definitely need a whole new drum fitting and that's gonna cost around £95 to get sorted through them (£65 for the drum, £30-ish for the fitting).
So seeing as it's only just over a year i thought i'd get on the phone to White Knight... But i couldn't get through on a few occasions so i emailed instead and got a rather automated response along the lines of 'ring this numver and have proof of purchase if it's within 12 months we'll send someone out'.

Anyway, i don't have any proof of purchase, i'm not a customer of the catalogue anymore and i have no old statements, plus it will only tell them i've had it for 13 or 14 months. But the fault is shocking!! There is no way it's acceptable for it to break this way for no apparent reason unless it's a design fault or something, i've taken this photo to show the damage.

Could i take this further with them seeing as it's a pretty disgraceful fault to have after such a short time? Will they tell me where to go? I'm going to try and contact them tomorrow but they won't want to know as soon as i say i have no receipts:(:(:td:

multiskilled
25-06-2007, 01:02
Try citizens advise as the one year warranty is a load of bull.A product is supposed to last for a reasonable length of time 5-6 years if I remember correctly.Though it can be difficult to get a retailer to agree to this,as this is whom you have the claim against not the actual manufacturer.

Angua
25-06-2007, 08:32
That definitely looks like a fault from the point of manufacture. I have a White Knight & have had no problems and my old White Knight is now on it's third owner (over 8 years old now) only replaced mine to get one which was cheaper to run.

Linky to Crosslee site (http://www.crosslee.co.uk/english/index.html) I would complain directly to the manufacturers as this is a build fault (there may even have been a product recall which you were unaware of). Send copies of your photos to them too.

Pia
25-06-2007, 21:37
Try citizens advise as the one year warranty is a load of bull.A product is supposed to last for a reasonable length of time 5-6 years if I remember correctly.Though it can be difficult to get a retailer to agree to this,as this is whom you have the claim against not the actual manufacturer.
Is there anywhere i could confirm that so i could pass the info onto White Knight? I tried a google but i didn't really know what to search for... it would definitely help my case if i could find somewhere that says something along those lines.

Angua
25-06-2007, 22:38
CAB Link (http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_world/consumer_affairs/buying_goods_your_rights.htm#your_rights_when_thin gs_go_wrong)
Getting your goods repaired or replaced

If there is something wrong with your goods and you aren't entitled to, or don't want to get a full refund, you can ask the trader to either repair or replace them for free instead. You might not be able to get a full refund if, perhaps, you had the goods for too long before realising there was a problem, or before the problem became obvious.
If you take the goods back within six months of buying them, the trader must accept that they were faulty at the time of sale and offer to repair or replace them. If the trader doesn't accept that the goods were faulty, they will have to prove this.
If you have had your goods for more than six months when they go wrong, you can still ask the trader to repair or replace them, but you may have to prove that they were faulty when you bought them if the trader doesn't agree. You can ask for a repair or replacement at any time up to six years after you bought the goods (five years in Scotland), as long as it is reasonable for them to have lasted this long. If the goods go wrong after six years (or five in Scotland), you no longer have the right to ask for a repair or replacement.
If the trader agrees to carry out a repair or provide a replacement, they must do this within a reasonable period of time, and without causing you any significant inconvenience. If you ask the trader for a repair but this turns out to be impractical or to be too expensive, the trader doesn't have to repair your goods, but you can choose to have a replacement instead. In the same way, if you have asked the trader to replace your goods and this turns out to be impractical or too expensive, the trader doesn't have to replace them, but you can choose to have a repair instead.
If neither repair or replacement is practical, you can ask to get some or all of your money back. You can also ask to get some or all of your money back if:
replacing or repairing the goods would cost more than giving you some or all of your money back, or
the trader did not replace or repair the goods within a reasonable period of time, or
the trader was not able to repair or replace the goods without causing you significant inconvenience.How much money you can get back will depend on how much use you have had out of the goods. You will probably only be able to get some of your money back if:-
the goods had worked for some time before they went wrong, or
they still work but their appearance has got worse, or
only one of their functions has failed.However, if you have been able to get no, or little use out of the goods, and/or repairs have been unsuccessful, then you will probably be able to give back the goods and get all of your money back.

Any time I have dealt with a catalogue over faulty goods they have always referred me to the manufacturer.

Pia
26-06-2007, 23:58
Oooh thanks Angua i'll email that info to them tomorrow, i'll let you know when they get back to me! :D

LSainsbury
27-06-2007, 19:19
Well? We await to see what happened Pia!

Shaun
27-06-2007, 21:21
Also it's the retailer you have an issue with not the manufacturer. I'd write* to the catalogue with photos and ask them to repair, replace or refund as they see fit and you expect it to be done in a reasonable time. Two weeks should be the max. If they ignore you then download an N1 form from the courts website and fill it in and post it.

Don't mess about ringing people as generally I find those on the phone know very littela about consumer law and it just wastes your time :)

*recorded delivery

Pia
06-07-2007, 19:51
Got a phone call last night from someone at Crosslee after emailing them, he said under these circumstances they will send out their service agents to repair the machine with the bill sent to Crosslee, so i'm waiting for the agents to ring me with a date to repair! Let's hope this goes smoothly!

Thanks for the help and advice from you lot at here at CF and also some members of ukwhitegoods http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=34, fingers crossed i'll have my tumble drier up and running as it's a bit of a hassle with all this rain we're getting!

Angua
06-07-2007, 20:25
See, I told you to contact the makers. Experience from too many problems with a neighbour who got a washing machine from my catalogue, they always refer back to the manufacturers for repairs.