PDA

View Full Version : 1MB or 2 MB ... ntl dont know & I dont know !

gazpacho_UK
22-05-2006, 16:07
OK, I am new here and not very technically minded .............
I have been on 1Mb broadband for sometime now and I am now looking at upgrading. After looking at other providers I called NTL today to ask how much notice they would need for cancellation of the service. They asked why I was leaving and I said I could get a better deal with other providers. They then offered me broadband and cable at a discounted rate, but upon investigation the operator informed me that I was already on 2Mb (which was to upgrade without charge to 4Mb by the end of the month) I assured him that I have never upgraded from 1Mb and that my price plan shows that. the operator insisted that I am on 2Mb. I have just used one of the speed tools available and this was the result:

1.95Mbps 249.83 kb/s

Looking at that I would think Iam on 2Mb .... so I have probably shot myself in the foot by bringing this to their attention ......... If anyone has any advice or help I would much appreciate your input !

Chhers

john

Paradox26
22-05-2006, 16:43
Go to 192.168.100.1 in address bar - User:root Password:root and go to operating configuration.

2MB is 2048000/20000
1MB is 1024000/10000

HTH

Im guessing your on 2 btw. And there was no need to bring it up you could have been on 2Mb for the price of 1Mb =]. Well thats what I would have done anyway as its not my fault, its theirs. And being ntl they might not even care to review this and leave it as it is =].

homealone
22-05-2006, 16:44
Hi :welcome:

Difficult one, this, but as you were planning to upgrade, anyway, I presume the extra cost would not be a problem?

If it was me, I think I would give them a call & explain that it looks like a mistake has been made, but that you are willing to pay the proper price for 2meg, from now on. The advantage of this being the upgrade to 4meg, due in June.

What I would want to avoid is them being able to turn round & say that you 'knowingly' took a 2meg service, while paying for 1meg - as it stands it is their mistake and they should have no reason to try to backcharge you?

- although, thinking about it, I remember a time when the 'middle' tier used to be only 1meg & it was upgraded to 2meg - if you are paying £24.99 you are on the correct tariff, and are ok ??? What does it say on your bill?

gazpacho_UK
22-05-2006, 17:31
thanx for the quick replies .......... Iam paying £17.99 which represents the 1Mb option

---------- Post added at 17:31 ---------- Previous post was at 17:28 ----------

Sahil, thanx for the link, here is the info displayed

Cable Modem Operation ConfigurationNetwork Access : AllowedMaximum Downstream Data Rate : 2048000Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 200000Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600Maximum Number of CPEs : 1Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

etccarmageddon
22-05-2006, 17:40
you're modem config is set to the middle £25 tier but their accounting system is charging you at the low tier rate.

Druchii
22-05-2006, 17:51
Hehe, they might not look into it, you're getting 2Mb BB for the price of 1. I like it ;)

etccarmageddon
22-05-2006, 18:02
eventually they will spot this and backdate charges to your account. perhaps your best option is to go ahead with the cancel as you originally planned or change tier and hope this triggers the accounting system to charge you correctly.

Druchii
22-05-2006, 18:18
They cannot charge a customer for thier own mistake surely? I mean if he took it to court he would win as he was oblivious to it.

etccarmageddon
22-05-2006, 18:30
let's be realistic - often people on forums talk about taking things to court but it would never end up there - you'd refuse to pay and they'd most likely credit it to your account (depending on the value involved) or they'd write it off as a bad debt and possibly put something on your credit file.

from the legal point of view, it's their incompetent systems at fault so I can't see how they'd be able to justify back charging BUT they have done that after doing a database clean up AND only advised the customer by the direct debit advance notice. so if you dont want the stress of a large direct debit, resolve it now.