PDA

View Full Version : NTL Speed Test

cnewton2k
21-05-2006, 21:03
Hi

Does anyone know the web address that NTL tech Support give you to test ya speed.

Chris W
21-05-2006, 21:04
probably depends who you speak to...

there are lots you can use, but the most reliable way i have found is to download a large file from tucows or download.com to give a good indication of speeds.

cnewton2k
21-05-2006, 21:08
Its the one that is hosted on the own webspace

tis something like this http://homepage.ntlworld.com/speedtest

???

Juat Found it http://homepage.ntlworld.com/testmyspeed

Graham M
21-05-2006, 21:32
This site is no longer in use

There is no officially sanctioned ntl:telewest speed test at present

:)

AmAtoL
21-05-2006, 23:18
So the link at the top of this page that everyone uses is only a ball park figure, right ?
I've used it several times in the last few days and it came out every time at 2.85 / 2.86.
That would be great if I was on 3 meg, but unfortunately I'm paying for 10 meg, and to me that seems a tad slow.
Rang CS and, "yes, that's right Mr Goodwin you are on 10 meg"
OK I'll phone BB Technical, and I got through to an operative who after a few minutes told me that there was something wrong with my settings at their end, but he couldn't alter it because some system or other was down.
I phoned again the next day and got through to a different chap who was just going to read me his script and tell me my connection was indeed ok.
I am prepared to accept it's "up to" 10 meg, but not prepared to accept that three quarters of my speed is lost in transit.
Is this possible at all ?
Can anybody check what's going on ?
cheers.

__spc__
22-05-2006, 11:58
All those on 10Mb but getting considerably less - have you tweaked your RWIN and MTU (should be 1500) settings?

imran
22-05-2006, 19:13
All those on 10Mb but getting considerably less - have you tweaked your RWIN and MTU (should be 1500) settings?

I think its a case that NTL are throttling connections or certains ports during peak hours. This morning I downloaded a file from the office 1.02MB/s and now the same file is downloading at 122 KB/s

I am going to try an ftp connection on another port to determine if its port throttling or just general contention capping.

AmAtoL
22-05-2006, 21:07
I wouldn't have thought tweaking the MTU would bring back my missing speed somehow. It's too far out for that to make a difference :o: