PDA

View Full Version : Bit of an accident at work

greencreeper
21-05-2006, 12:50
On Saturday I managed to delete a third of a customer's database oops: I feel awful about it - consumed with guilt :cry: I lost concentration for a moment, didn't see the disastrous misconfiguration, and that was that. Gone :(

Narrate your tales of worked related woe - make me feel better :D

zing_deleted
21-05-2006, 13:03
When I was a butcher many years ago me and this other guy were playing with a boning knife I was withstraining him and just let got ans he stabbed me in my throat.Another similar incident was when me and another butcher were removing beef joints out of the window display,I was covering them with film and he was putting prices on pins back in.I heard him say "oh my god" and not knowing and feeling no pain looked down to see this metal pin stuck though the joint in my thumb :disturbd:

greencreeper
21-05-2006, 13:06
Sort of extreme acupuncture :erm:

Maggy
21-05-2006, 13:06
Like I'm going to tell you about my little peccidillos,if I had any. ;)

I'll listen to your's all day though.:D

greencreeper
21-05-2006, 13:08
Thanks Coggy :D

There was a backup - but I wiped it in my efforts to restore the database :doh: It was a bad day.

Jules
21-05-2006, 18:27
Oh dear Green so what happens now?

Druchii
21-05-2006, 18:29
Was there a back up of the back up? I wish.

Well, good luck trying to get all that information back.

Scrubbs
21-05-2006, 18:50
I was using a portable drill at work, went to look for it to put it away, no sign of it :shrug: I got a call from the control room telling me they had found it.
"funny, thinks I, I wasn't up there"

They (sniggering as they did) tilted the camera down and there it was in the front of the ROV in about 400m of seawater oops: :eeek:
needless to say it had gone fizz bang

Watchman
21-05-2006, 19:03
when i was doing my apprenticeship, at college, i caught my hand between two rollers in a printing press

Matthew
21-05-2006, 19:42
I was once working on our server at home one night and just done some updates and reconfigured some software, I gets a call at 0730 the next morning, we cant access the server. That will teach me not to play!

monkey2468
21-05-2006, 19:53
When I was a trainee chef, I was working one busy saturday night, and one of the large friers needed changing, so me and an another trainee was told to empty it. The frier was still hot and I was crouched near the bottom with the container, the other trainee opened the valve, but instead of the fat going straight down, it went out side ways and covered my hand. Needless to say, I had totally cooked my hand! It smelt like bacon!! Hurt like hell and I had to have the puss drained daily for the next two weeks.

I left that job shortly after that! I should have sued them but I was young and didn't have a clue.

timewarrior2001
21-05-2006, 20:28
When I worked on a farm I was spreading slurry.

Got a blockage and went to clear it. Blatantly ignoring the "Disconect PTO shaft before clearing" warning stickers, I jammed the "un bunger" into the nozzle and was promptly jetted from head to foot in slurry.

Needed several injections after that.

I also once jumped out of a tree showing off and landed on a piece of wood. Didnt realise until I looked down that I had also landed on a nail, it went right through my foot!!!

Also when working on the farm, I was riding a motorcycle up the track, jeans T-shirt and crash helmet.....had been herding sheep. Anyway I opened the throttle hit the cattle grid, the front wheel locked ( I later found out it was loose and moved) I went over the handle bars at about 70 MPH onto gravel, skinned all my finger tips, all my palms, all my forarms to the elbow. Had to go to hospital and have the gravel brushed out of my open wounds. And dont ever believe in Non stick bandages they do stick and when you have to open the wouond everyday to change the dressingsa its sheer agony.

grandmaster
21-05-2006, 20:32
I was playing about writing my own out of office agent for lotus notes at work.

When i ran it, the agent emailed everyone in my inbox telling them i was not in work.

It was so lucky as i had only just changed the text from something really silly.

i had lots of phone calls asking why i had emailed them...

:D

greencreeper
21-05-2006, 23:39
Oh dear Green so what happens now?
Good question. Could be unemployed by the end of tomorrow. There's a slim chance I've endangered life. I'm getting too old for all this. The customer will have to recreate data from at least Friday, possibly all of last week. Not my finest hour. Still - from reading this thread, it seems I'm not alone :D

Kliro
21-05-2006, 23:47
Good question. Could be unemployed by the end of tomorrow. There's a slim chance I've endangered life. I'm getting too old for all this. The customer will have to recreate data from at least Friday, possibly all of last week. Not my finest hour. Still - from reading this thread, it seems I'm not alone :D

Are we about to see a guinness book entry for the youngest retirement? :confused::D

danielf
21-05-2006, 23:53

I think you need to have a look at the problem solving flowchart (http://www.killourboss.com/problem.html) :D

greencreeper
21-05-2006, 23:55
Are we about to see a guinness book entry for the youngest retirement? :confused::D
Wish I could retire :D I'm not as good as I was when I was young. Cognative abilities aren't what they were. Not as sharp. Sigh.

---------- Post added at 23:55 ---------- Previous post was at 23:54 ----------

I think you need to have a look at the problem solving flowchart (http://www.killourboss.com/problem.html) :D
I like it :D I was trying to make it better :rolleyes:

Nidge
22-05-2006, 04:52
On Saturday I managed to delete a third of a customer's database oops: I feel awful about it - consumed with guilt :cry: I lost concentration for a moment, didn't see the disastrous misconfiguration, and that was that. Gone :(

You'll be ok mate we all make mistakes no one's imune from mistakes we all make them, if we didn't we'd not be human would we?

Maggy
22-05-2006, 08:46

You'll be ok mate we all make mistakes no one's imune from mistakes we all make them, if we didn't we'd not be human would we?

I shall remember this comment when a certain company appear to screw up again...:D

lilacsocks
22-05-2006, 12:22
not me, (honest) but someone I worked with once sent out a huge mailing to 15,000 people (we didnt use an external company, but printed, and stuffed them all in house!), but he got the mail merge wrong, so all the addresses were mixed up. The cost ran into the thousands, not to mention the phone queries and returned post!

greencreeper
22-05-2006, 18:58
Well, I'm still employed. It was ugly though. Customer has lost 24 hrs of data :( I sailed close to formal disciplinary action :cry: I've to write a document on what I made an hash of :erm: So others can learn from me.

Need alcohol :D

MadGamer
22-05-2006, 19:05
Ive actually found this quite a good read...... carry on :D

homealone
22-05-2006, 19:41
Well, I'm still employed. It was ugly though. Customer has lost 24 hrs of data :( I sailed close to formal disciplinary action :cry: I've to write a document on what I made an hash of :erm: So others can learn from me.

Need alcohol :D

phew, glad to hear it wasn't as bad as it could be - I'll raise a glass to that, as well :)

grandmaster
22-05-2006, 19:43
i would have fired your ass!

Only joking, every one makes a mistake thats life

dilli-theclaw
22-05-2006, 21:43
MMMmmm work related woe... I wrote a two week old £50,000 VNA forklift off.

Druchii
22-05-2006, 21:52
MMMmmm work related woe... I wrote a two week old £50,000 VNA forklift off. How on earth did you manage that?

dilli-theclaw
22-05-2006, 22:05
MMMmmm work related woe... I wrote a two week old £50,000 VNA forklift off. How on earth did you manage that?The onboard computer system failed while I was travelling at speed and I hit some racking.

Druchii
22-05-2006, 22:15
The onboard computer system failed while I was travelling at speed and I hit some racking. Oh, it was the computers fault ;)

dilli-theclaw
22-05-2006, 22:17
The onboard computer system failed while I was travelling at speed and I hit some racking. Oh, it was the computers fault ;)Yes. otherwise I'd have been sacked.

Druchii
22-05-2006, 22:20
Ahh, makes sense. Must have been another drunk programmer...

dilli-theclaw
22-05-2006, 22:22
Ahh, makes sense. Must have been another drunk programmer...That would be Microsoft then... It used Windows 95 to interface the computer system with the conteol screen and the wire-guidance system.

Scarlett
22-05-2006, 22:25
There was a French guy in the last firm I worked at who setup his out of office before leaving for his hols. Unfourtunatly, he set it to reply all and to send the out of office email every time he got an email...

Then they sent out one of those huge company emails, you know the quarterly results type of thing (blah blah blah ETR up 1.3% WTF down 4%...)

So it fired off and sent the out of office to everyone the big email (himself included) which then fired another out of office email to everyone (himself included) and so on.

It took IT over 30 mins to kill the mail off which was turning up every 2/3 seconds in everyone elses in boxes.

Druchii
22-05-2006, 22:25
That would be Microsoft then... It used Windows 95 to interface the computer system with the conteol screen and the wire-guidance system. Eek, Win 95 on such a powerful and costly device... Accident waiting to happen. Hope you didn't get hurt by anything falling form the racks.

dilli-theclaw
22-05-2006, 22:31
That would be Microsoft then... It used Windows 95 to interface the computer system with the conteol screen and the wire-guidance system. Eek, Win 95 on such a powerful and costly device... Accident waiting to happen. Hope you didn't get hurt by anything falling form the racks.I didn't get hurt to badly :) Anyway I'll let others tell of their storys :)

homealone
22-05-2006, 22:35
That would be Microsoft then... It used Windows 95 to interface the computer system with the conteol screen and the wire-guidance system.

more sophisticated than the one I was driving when I put a pallet on top of a stack next to the car park - I couldn't see the badly stacked one, on top, which I pushed onto a car roof, below ....

- 2 nights later when I got caught asleep on the job, they got their revenge, I got the sack :D

- so I got a 'staff' job, in the same firm a week later ;)

Anonymouse
22-05-2006, 22:38
Which database are you using? Isn't there a rollback facility? Even Oracle (gnnnhhh!!!) should be able to cope with that.

BTW, the (gnnnhhh!!!) moment is a consequence of my two experiences of that database, in 1991 and 1997. After encountering it on my HND and post-grad courses, I can't even say its name without twitching - think Chief Inspector Dreyfuss whenever Clouseau's name was mentioned and you get the general idea. :Yikes:

In a true relational database, you're supposed to be able to edit views. Uh-uh. Not in 1991. If you needed to change a view, you had to delete the damn thing and do it again. The same if you were using a form and you needed to make even the tiniest change to its database table - the act of altering the table apparently destroyed all the associational links between table and form, so you'd have to recreate the entire bloody form. I had hoped, by the time I encountered it again in 1997, things would have improved. Well, you would, wouldn't you, after 6 years?

Well, wouldn't you?

At Liverpool Uni in 1997, we were working on a UNIX network in which all the terminals were, not PCs, but proper kick-ass workstations with serious processing power of their own, and the dedicated server was itself running UNIX. We discovered a foolproof way to slow this network to a crawl or even cause it to crash altogether: have two or more users trying to use that database simultaneously. Even on a VAX minicomputer, it uses an incredible amount of CPU and I/O time - as I discovered in 1993 on my degree course; while HND students were using it on the VAX, the PASCAL program I was developing, which normally took 10-15 seconds to compile, was taking nearly five minutes!

And even Access 97 can do better than that database; you can edit a query - its equivalent of a view - as much as you like without having to destroy or even change the form. How in Codd's name Oracurrrgghhh became the database market leader I have no idea.

So I can entirely sympathise. OTOH, it should be difficult, rather than otherwise, in any database to make such a drastic mistake. It's possible the blame doesn't entirely rest with you; where was the database administrator during all this?

Unless of course you are the database administrator, in which case I shall slink away as best I can with my foot in my mouth...

dilli-theclaw
22-05-2006, 22:41
That would be Microsoft then... It used Windows 95 to interface the computer system with the conteol screen and the wire-guidance system.

more sophisticated than the one I was driving when I put a pallet on top of a stack next to the car park - I couldn't see the badly stacked one, on top, which I pushed onto a car roof, below ....

- 2 nights later when I got caught asleep on the job, they got their revenge, I got the sack :D

- so I got a 'staff' job, in the same firm a week later ;)I stayed another year before I left my place :)

BTW - this site shows the new model of the truck in question http://www.jungheinrich.co.uk/general/scripts/show_cl.php?refpage=trucks_UK_EN.html&la=en&cl_id=9382&ty_id=190

greencreeper
22-05-2006, 23:06
Unless of course you are the database administrator, in which case I shall slink away as best I can with my foot in my mouth...
Chief cook and bottle washer :D

I can't say too much - industrial secrets and what-not. Contract strictly prevents me from discussing certains aspects of my work and the systems I use. Also has a post-employment clause that pretty much prevents me from working in Leeds :erm: You won't have heard of the database - tis rare and ancient - and it does have a rollback but has to exist for it to be, er, rollbackable. Do a Google for MUMPS.

My dad used to be FLT driver - has quite a few tales to tell, some gory, some funny.

nffc
22-05-2006, 23:42
Nah. Computer says NO. :LOL:

Mr_love_monkey
22-05-2006, 23:57
Do a Google for MUMPS.

MUMPS! Cache!

We use that at my place

It's actually a bit more modern now in some places, since you can have cache objects and a java interface to it...

greencreeper
23-05-2006, 08:25
MUMPS! Cache!

We use that at my place

It's actually a bit more modern now in some places, since you can have cache objects and a java interface to it...
Yeah :D We use MSM, which is pre-Cache. It's a bit of a weird language, but it does make database transactions transparent. I'm plannning on purchasing a book on it, so I can learn a bit more.

Nugget
23-05-2006, 09:16
Hmm, obviously not computer based at all but, when I worked for Customs, I went through a 2 week phase where, regardless of which cupboard I had to go in, parts of the ceiling fell off and landed on my head. Two weeks.

Actually, when I think about it, that probably explains a lot :disturbd:

Maggy
23-05-2006, 10:44
Hmm, obviously not computer based at all but, when I worked for Customs, I went through a 2 week phase where, regardless of which cupboard I had to go in, parts of the ceiling fell off and landed on my head. Two weeks.

Actually, when I think about it, that probably explains a lot :disturbd:

Hair loss for one..;)

Nugget
23-05-2006, 10:59
Hair loss for one..;)

:PP:

I can live with the hair loss - I think it was the ceiling that activated my pun gland ;)