PDA

View Full Version : BlueYonder 10MB - Limited Speed!

KoZz_uK
20-05-2006, 18:21
Hi ppl,

I've subscribed to blue yonder elite service for many years now. Some time ago BY (blueyonder) announced that they were going to upgrade all services… i.e 1mb to 2mb, 2mb to 4mb and 4mb to 10mb....

Therefore I should now have a 10mb connection as I was on a 4MB connection (elite package).

My configuration is basic. I only have 2 PCs connected using a wireless router:

1 PC is connected to a Linksys Wireless router by cable into one of the 4 ports!
The second PC is connected using a wireless connection to the router which is located in an adjacent room!

Since day one, I've always been assigned the IP address 82.45.x.x (cannot specially specify for security reasons) to the Wireless Router and I can specifically recall having to give BY the MAC address of the router so they could register it so it would work.

Basically the problem I have at the moment which BY cannot support as they are thick is as follows:

If I disconnect the wireless router and connect the cable modem directly to a PC and reboot the cable modem I get assigned a new IP address in the form of 82.35.254.x and then I get the full 10MB connection. Download speed is approx 1.15MB per second!

However, if I then connect my wireless router to the cable modem it obtains the original IP address I had in the form of 82.45.x.x

Obviously it appears that the original WAN IP I’ve used since day 1 is limited to a 4MB connection. According to BY support they say that the IP has no bearing to the speed

I would actually agree if assigned a new IP address to the router but this is not the case.

I'm getting the impression that the MAC I registered with them some time ago is pulling down the original IP address and not the new type 82.35.254.x

The support personnel cannot help as they don't know what the hell they are talking about > not even when escalated to their so called 2nd line support!

They have advised to switch my stuff off for 3 days to see if that works, but I think that's stupid advise! They also mentioned that they do not manually register MAC addresses anymore, it’s all updated dynamically!

Does anyone have any ideas or aggress with what I’m saying?

I'm an experienced dual certified MCSE and not a “NEWB” and to my understanding I personally think that the IP address which has been assigned to the router 82.45.x.x is hindering the speed as it is definitely limited to 4MB!

I'm sure if my router could purge this IP and pull down a WAN IP of 82.35.254.x then my problem would be solved.

Does anyone have any input into what I've specified?

Thanks
KoZz :Yikes:

v0id
20-05-2006, 18:27
Have you checked whether your wireless router ican give you 10 Meg, as if you get the full speed when you're connected directly to the PC, it does seem that the router is at fault

bobna
20-05-2006, 18:29
can you not specify a wan ip in your router's config page?
i know i can in my linksys wrt54gs

if you can place the ip you were getting full speeds from and see if that works for you, if not try another router to rule your's out

KoZz_uK
20-05-2006, 18:31
LOL > Indeedy! Of course the router supports 10MB!

However, did you take into account what I said about the IP address. BTW, I didn't mention that when I first connect the cable modem directly to the PC it still had the 82.45.x.x address. It was only when I rebooted the cable modem it pulled down the 82.35.254.x address which at that stage connected to 10MB. So therefore has nothing to do with the router as the PC was only 4MB when I connected it directly to the router!

Hope this makes sense.

It's really freaking me out as their support cannot help at all.

I dont see the point in having to go and buy a new router which will obviously have it's own unique MAC address in order to obtain the full 10MB connection which I pay for!

KOzz

homealone
20-05-2006, 18:32
hi :welcome:

does the router have a 10/100 WAN port, or 10baseT?

10baseT, especially half duplex, will not achieve 10meg - although 4 does seem a little low...

KoZz_uK
20-05-2006, 18:41
hi :welcome:

does the router have a 10/100 WAN port, or 10baseT?

10baseT, especially half duplex, will not achieve 10meg - although 4 does seem a little low...

Hi :tu: , I'm not too sure. I will have to check the User Guide for my specific router. On the back of the LInksys router it only says WAN obviously being the WAN port. I would have through it would be both 10/100 being able to automatically detect the speed?!?

Graham M
20-05-2006, 18:46
The Port used for Internet is completely different to the port used for LAN connection and some routers only support 10MBit half

Bill C
20-05-2006, 18:54
Can your router clone a mac. If it can put the mac of the net card on your pc in the router and clone the mac of your pc. This will make the router appear to be your network card and then you should get the correct ip. If you get the correct ip but you still have slow speeds then i would look seriously at your router.

James Henry
20-05-2006, 19:17
I'm an experienced dual certified MCSE and not a “NEWB” and to my understanding I personally think that the IP address which has been assigned to the router 82.45.x.x is hindering the speed as it is definitely limited to 4MB!

I'm sure if my router could purge this IP and pull down a WAN IP of 82.35.254.x then my problem would be solved.

Does anyone have any input into what I've specified?

Thanks
KoZz :Yikes:
I love it when people flash their certifications ;)

Firstly your CPE IP, be it your router or a PC connected directly to the modem, is completely irrelevant to the speed that your connection runs at. The throttling is actually based on the MAC address of your cable modem so it's not at IP level at all. BY support are dead right on this issue so you may want to wind your neck in a little while you are accusing them of knowing nothing for telling you this.

Secondly flashing an MCSE, even one dual certified, doesn't really impress. While I'm sure it equips you to fix Microsoft servers for WANs it's like me saying a CCIE equips me to bake fine pastries. MCSE is a Microsoft Certification and MS don't produce products for Wide Area Networking and certainly not anything relating to cable modems.

I blame your router at first glance to be honest. I imagine that for someone of your experience the fact that the service runs fine without the router then runs slowly with the router makes it pretty obvious where the issue is most likely to be, namely with the one component that has changed. Check the duplex settings on the LAN side, the speed of the port on the WAN side, and the capabilities of the unit as a whole.

Remember you must always reboot the cable modem when changing the device you are connecting to it in order to clear its' ARP cache.

Bill C
20-05-2006, 19:19
Brutally correct as always Mr Henry :)

KoZz_uK
20-05-2006, 19:41
I love it when people flash their certifications ;)

Firstly your CPE IP, be it your router or a PC connected directly to the modem, is completely irrelevant to the speed that your connection runs at. The throttling is actually based on the MAC address of your cable modem so it's not at IP level at all. BY support are dead right on this issue so you may want to wind your neck in a little while you are accusing them of knowing nothing for telling you this.

Secondly flashing an MCSE, even one dual certified, doesn't really impress. While I'm sure it equips you to fix Microsoft servers for WANs it's like me saying a CCIE equips me to bake fine pastries. MCSE is a Microsoft Certification and MS don't produce products for Wide Area Networking and certainly not anything relating to cable modems.

I blame your router at first glance to be honest. I imagine that for someone of your experience the fact that the service runs fine without the router then runs slowly with the router makes it pretty obvious where the issue is most likely to be, namely with the one component that has changed. Check the duplex settings on the LAN side, the speed of the port on the WAN side, and the capabilities of the unit as a whole.

Remember you must always reboot the cable modem when changing the device you are connecting to it in order to clear its' ARP cache.

So support are dead right in saying switch off everything for 3 days? I ain't winding in jack mate! Especially me neck!

And in anycase you have an incorrect perspective about people with MS credentials. Qualified to fix Servers.. :dunce: Oh, sorry I didn't tell you I was a CCNP as well, may have made you cuss some more... even though the certification may be more relevant although not affilited to cable modems!

Flushing the local ARP cache isn't doing f' all... Do you know why I am getting the same IP 82.45.x.x when I connect the router to the cable modem? This is the case which I suspect is causing the problem as I already stated that even when the cable modem is connected to the PC and is using this IP 82.45.x.x is still runs at 4MB. However, it's only until i reboot the cable modem it assigns the PC an 82.35.254.x address which in turn gives me a 10MB connection...

Hence the fustration!

TW_BUS_DATA_TECH
21-05-2006, 09:55
So support are dead right in saying switch off everything for 3 days? I ain't winding in jack mate! Especially me neck!

And in anycase you have an incorrect perspective about people with MS credentials. Qualified to fix Servers.. :dunce: Oh, sorry I didn't tell you I was a CCNP as well, may have made you cuss some more... even though the certification may be more relevant although not affilited to cable modems!

Flushing the local ARP cache isn't doing f' all... Do you know why I am getting the same IP 82.45.x.x when I connect the router to the cable modem? This is the case which I suspect is causing the problem as I already stated that even when the cable modem is connected to the PC and is using this IP 82.45.x.x is still runs at 4MB. However, it's only until i reboot the cable modem it assigns the PC an 82.35.254.x address which in turn gives me a 10MB connection...

Hence the fustration!

If you really have a CCNP then you will know that the CPE IP Address has no bearing on the speed of the connection / config file in the CM. Also the IP address is bound to the CPE MAC address for as long as the lease lasts so as Unlimited correctly said all you would need to do is spoof the PC MAC address to disprove your assumptions.

That said there is significant resegmentation going on at the moment and perhaps a release would do the trick (but it should only take around 30mins not 3 days!!).

Good luck :)

Andrewcrawford23
21-05-2006, 19:40

Hence the fustration!

Why not force, the ip you have on your router, onto the direct connection

So the 82.45.x.x onto the 82.35.254.x if you get full speed on the ip then its not the ip, to me it sounds liek the router is blocking the speed i had a similer problem with my wireless router i was geting 3mb service on 10mb but got 10mb direct ot the computer