PDA

View Full Version : 10mbit cable is a joke right?

Efour
20-05-2006, 17:03
Date of Speed Test: 2006-05-20 17:01:54 Download Speed: 159 kbps (19.9 KB/sec transfer rate) Upload Speed: 471 kbps (58.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Graham M
20-05-2006, 17:09
Nice downstream, do you get that speed everywhere?

Locky
20-05-2006, 17:17
10 meg is not a joke, ur just unlucky

Earwig
20-05-2006, 17:20
I never get less than 1.1MB/s download from mine.

I think you are just unlucky......Time for that call to let them know maybe?

Efour
20-05-2006, 17:35
Its only been active 24h. IS there a testing period or a period where they try and get it stable.

OR

Im just screwed from day 1 ?

Marge
20-05-2006, 17:37
Its only been active 24h. IS there a testing period or a period where they try and get it stable.

OR

If you give me your details in the next couple of mins I can double check what speed you have been put on....

jtwn
20-05-2006, 17:39
The upload matches 512k ul, so we can pretty much safely say they are on 10mbit.

homealone
20-05-2006, 17:45

OR

There is no 'testing period', the stability of the connection should have been established by the installer.

If you search the forum you will see there are any number of potential reasons why you may not get a full 10Mb/s

these include

using usb not ethernet to connect

having an old model cable modem or set top box

using a router or ethernet card with only a 10baseT capabilty, not 10/100

power levels of the connection to the street cab

inappropriate pc settings for RWIN

using a wireless router with a slow connection

If you could post back a bit more detail about your setup, someone may be able to advise where potential bottlenecks could occur :)

Efour
20-05-2006, 17:46
HI, I really appreciate the help from you guys but im off out to the pub and its going to get very messy :)

Ill Pm my details to you soon, not sure what you need, i take it you work for NTL i hope lol.

THanks again

nice people :angel:

wireless 54mbit setup PCI card Lincsys WRT54G - ntl250 modem rwin 1500 no encryption no nothing all fresh install.

dragon
20-05-2006, 18:23
wireless 54mbit setup PCI card Lincsys WRT54G - ntl250 modem rwin 1500 no encryption no nothing all fresh install.

No encyption... HMM you sure you don't have half the street on the wi-fi then...

Chris W
20-05-2006, 19:53
Ill Pm my details to you soon, not sure what you need, i take it you work for NTL i hope lol.

I can confirm Marge does work for ntl :)

wadski
20-05-2006, 23:54
using a router or ethernet card with only a 10baseT capabilty, not 10/100

Sorry mate but 10baseT is 10Mbit so should not be the route cause unless there is other traffic on the local network.

Although I agree with the others:)

Paul
21-05-2006, 00:09
Sorry mate but 10baseT is 10Mbit so should not be the route cause unless there is other traffic on the local network.Don't be fooled by it's name, you will not get full 10mbps speed from a 10baseT connection.

Graham M
21-05-2006, 00:21
10BaseT is Half Duplex which means that you can only do sending/receiving at alternate times and not at the same time. The protocols involve require that an Acknowledgement is sent for every packet received so 10BaseT will never run at a full 10MBit the average you would see is around 6, maybe more, maybe less! I couldve gone into more detail but am too tired ;)

Paul
21-05-2006, 00:29
Well 10BaseT can be full duplex as well, but the 10/100 speed refers to the speed of the ethernet connection, no the protocols that run on top of it. There are many 'bits' lost in packet and transmission overhead for the ethernet packets, the ip packets and the http/ftp/whatever packets. As you say around 6 Mbit/s file transmission rate would be about the limit.

Chrysalis
21-05-2006, 02:55
I never get less than 1.1MB/s download from mine.

I think you are just unlucky......Time for that call to let them know maybe?

Ok lets not lie now and get carried away :)

Or maybe you have never downloaded from america or asia, or eastern europe :) and only fast uk servers :)

Efour
21-05-2006, 17:38
O K,

hangover has gone,

I set my router to only use the MAC from my wireless pci card, and from no other cards as far as im aware thats safe ?? If not then ill encrypt it.

I dont think theres anyone else in my street/range that even uses wireless ofc, im not 100% sure but im semi confident its ok. They are mostly older couples no kids, no 1337 hack0rs

Ive come over from ADSL, and im not exactly sure if i have set up my router correctly.

I set it up as DHCP,mixed mode wireless, tbh there isnt that much i can see on it that is worth changing. should i enter the MAC of my router in there somewhere? Has anyone written a guide how to set up ntl using a WRT54G?

the NTL street cab. is about 20 meters away from my house and i live about 2km from the telephone exchange, does that make any difference?

I noticed today when i switched on my PC a box appeared saying synching with server 12343/7039393 or something crazy.... is that these local cache things? As i say i have no real idea how DSL works compared to ADSL.

can i unistall this Broadband Medic utility its really getting on my nerves!

I think i may format the entire system and start from scratch and see if its anything on my end causing a problem.

IF i was just experiancing some weekend contention then, well, hmmm It may be ok but if its still a bit pear shaped after trying all these things. Oh deary me. :td:

Hom3r
21-05-2006, 17:52
With regards to 10Mb, can somebody help me, (I've not been here as much as I'ld like due to dead lappy & a new job) and don't have the time to rad though loads of threads

I have a Terayon, can this take 10Mb, as I only get about 5.5Mb, if it can't will NTL give me a shiny new 250 or do I have to call and arrange one.
Will I also have to pay £50 for this, even thugh I paid £170 for my Terayon so I wouldn't have to pay £5 a month rental, which I have to pay for now.

thanks

Tuftus
21-05-2006, 18:32
Ok lets not lie now and get carried away :)

Or maybe you have never downloaded from america or asia, or eastern europe :) and only fast uk servers :)

I am down the road from Earwig so to speak in Rushden and if I get less than 1mb/sec downloads I feel hard done by.

Needless to say that is not often.

Efour
21-05-2006, 20:17
Ok well im so happy for you guys that all get 10mbit and i will belive you, all i am saying is what issues can I have what can i sort out tweak my end before i speak to NTL and ultimatley get rid of it and go back to adsl.

DaggaDagga
21-05-2006, 20:43
Why did you stop using ADSL if it's so great?!

NTL 10Mb is pretty good. Try connecting your computer to the modem, make things as simple as possible, then build back up.

SnoopZ
21-05-2006, 21:10
It's not a joke where i live at the moment.

---------- Post added at 21:10 ---------- Previous post was at 21:04 ----------

With regards to 10Mb, can somebody help me, (I've not been here as much as I'ld like due to dead lappy & a new job) and don't have the time to rad though loads of threads

I have a Terayon, can this take 10Mb, as I only get about 5.5Mb, if it can't will NTL give me a shiny new 250 or do I have to call and arrange one.
Will I also have to pay £50 for this, even thugh I paid £170 for my Terayon so I wouldn't have to pay £5 a month rental, which I have to pay for now.

thanks

Seeing i owned my modem which was a Motorola 3100, i just unplugged it and phone NTL and said it's not working and explained it was my modem so can NTL come and install a new 1, which they did a week later.

When the engineer turned up my modem was nowhere to be seen.

mmm
21-05-2006, 22:55
I have a Terayon, can this take 10Mb

It can't quite make 10Mb but can speed test up to 8 or 9Mbps. But to be honest unless you have a real fast local server you are not going to notice the difference, typical downloads are around 6Mb. You may need to tweak your TCP/IP setings to get it up to full speed.

Hondacurver
21-05-2006, 23:25
this is a copy of the feedback ive just sent to ntl

I quote :-

Yet another month goes by, and still no nearer getting a connection near 6mb let alone 10mb!!!!!.
Since December i have paid £35+ X 6 = £210 for a 1mb connection that you offer at £17.99 per month, so I think I am over paying by around £100. Now you have even taken the speed test site down to stop me checking my speed. Could it be that my modem (NTL120) is not man enough for the job and i need a new NTL250?. Finally if this is not resolved within the next week I am considering writing to Trading Standards and Oftel

And yes 10mbit is a joke, ive had 6 months of being fobbed off, well no more

its war!!!!

Efour
22-05-2006, 01:02
Why did you stop using ADSL if it's so great?!

NTL 10Mb is pretty good. Try connecting your computer to the modem, make things as simple as possible, then build back up.

this is £10 cheaper and could be twice as fast if i get it working.

---------- Post added at 01:02 ---------- Previous post was at 00:32 ----------

Right its 1am and i just saw a dload of approx 950kb/s from Jolt.co.uk

So i get decent speeds at night time, but for the rest of the day its going to be worse upload than dload???? surely this isnt normal ?

well at least i know its not my setup thats at fault (fingers crossed)

DaggaDagga
22-05-2006, 10:23
You do know the difference between b (bits) and B (bytes), don't you?

Have you actually tried the various things lots of people here have suggested? e.g. connect the computer to the modem, etc, etc. You'll look like an idiot if there is nothing wrong with your connection.

__spc__
22-05-2006, 11:05
O K,

hangover has gone,

I set my router to only use the MAC from my wireless pci card, and from no other cards as far as im aware thats safe ?? If not then ill encrypt it.

MAC & IP address filtering are pointless - all data packets sent WiFi contain these bits of information, so anyone who wants to, can 'sniff' the data packets, and then spoof these addresses. Encrypt using WPA-PSK AES if possible (this is effectively WPA2), or use WPA-PSK TKIP. Either way, use a non-dictionary passphrase; steer clear of irregular characters as some hardware may not manage them properly.

I dont think theres anyone else in my street/range that even uses wireless ofc, im not 100% sure but im semi confident its ok. They are mostly older couples no kids, no 1337 hack0rs

Unless you use something like Kismet to determine who's broadcasting on WiFi, you can't know who's doing what, where.

Ive come over from ADSL, and im not exactly sure if i have set up my router correctly.

I set it up as DHCP,mixed mode wireless, tbh there isnt that much i can see on it that is worth changing. should i enter the MAC of my router in there somewhere? Has anyone written a guide how to set up ntl using a WRT54G?

Change nothing, though unless you intend to use wireless-b hardware, switch the mode to g-only. Plug modem to router, then router to PC using CAT5 ethernet cable. Configure the encryption on the router AND PC, then remove the CAT 5 between the router and PC. Off you go...

the NTL street cab. is about 20 meters away from my house and i live about 2km from the telephone exchange, does that make any difference?

None.

I noticed today when i switched on my PC a box appeared saying synching with server 12343/7039393 or something crazy.... is that these local cache things? As i say i have no real idea how DSL works compared to ADSL.

Errr....

can i unistall this Broadband Medic utility its really getting on my nerves!

Sure, get rid of it. Though it might be a better option when you need technical support than paying for the 0870 number call...

I think i may format the entire system and start from scratch and see if its anything on my end causing a problem.

I missed what the problem was..?

IF i was just experiancing some weekend contention then, well, hmmm It may be ok but if its still a bit pear shaped after trying all these things. Oh deary me. :td:[/quote]

Efour
22-05-2006, 12:26
You do know the difference between b (bits) and B (bytes), don't you?

Have you actually tried the various things lots of people here have suggested? e.g. connect the computer to the modem, etc, etc. You'll look like an idiot if there is nothing wrong with your connection.
errr,

Is this a help forum or just another one full of uneducated people that just try and flame each other.

How am i ment to know if its a contention issue or setup/hardware issue if i get it installed on a weekend?

Am i to assume that NTL will do nothing about poor speed becaue of heavy users.?

popper
22-05-2006, 12:32
Ok well im so happy for you guys that all get 10mbit and i will belive you, all i am saying is what issues can I have what can i sort out tweak my end before i speak to NTL and ultimatley get rid of it and go back to adsl.

first thing to do is download a small linux livecd burn & boot that, and see if that gives you better up/down rates, that will tell you if its a problem with windows setting/apps/install or perhaps a hardware problem.

turnes out many times, peoples networking settings are set wrong for best speed, so just try the livecd option before you go anyware else.

DaggaDagga
22-05-2006, 14:19
Is this a help forum or just another one full of uneducated people that just try and flame each other.

If you attempt to be a little constructive and actually try to fix it then you should find that people want to help you. You have not tried to fix anything, and just keep ranting and whinging, at NTL and the people here who are trying to help you.

I do not work for NTL, and have never done. This is not NTL customer services. What is your problem?

Efour
22-05-2006, 16:07
what ??? I have not tried to fix anything?

I have wasted 12 hours of my life trying to fix it so far taking all reasonable advice, except install Linux - sorry i cba to do that - If u read this post i think you find maybe 1 or 2, what i consider to be worthwile comments, the rest are really just other peoples conversastions.

As far as I am aware it is working now and was due to massive weekend contention rates, if that is the correct terminology for busy cable.

daggadagga, i think you seem to have the wrong end of the stick here, ill stick to my original "whine" if my 10mbit service is going to be 40Kb/s at weekends when i most use it, then thanks and goodbye. I wont know for sure until this coming weekend.

Hom3r
22-05-2006, 20:07
It can't quite make 10Mb but can speed test up to 8 or 9Mbps. But to be honest unless you have a real fast local server you are not going to notice the difference, typical downloads are around 6Mb. You may need to tweak your TCP/IP setings to get it up to full speed.

Whats the best way to tweak TCP/IP setting and what range should be used (RWIN, etc)

Chrysalis
22-05-2006, 20:20
I am down the road from Earwig so to speak in Rushden and if I get less than 1mb/sec downloads I feel hard done by.

Needless to say that is not often.

well probably more then 2/3rds of the net would not be capable of sending to you at 10meg, so you both I assume are downloading from a small set of locations then.

even tho my ubr is now in better shape I would still estimate that less then 20% of location max me out and the bulk are usually between 2-5mbit.

What sort of locations you download from?

Do you get 10meg from here?

ftp://ftp2.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ls-lR.gz

Efour
22-05-2006, 23:54
They dont get it all the time, just forget about it.

etccarmageddon
23-05-2006, 00:13
...Do you get 10meg from here?

ftp://ftp2.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ls-lR.gz238KB per sec for me on my 10meg connection.

Efour
23-05-2006, 00:20
< 40Kb/s sick of this

__spc__
23-05-2006, 06:35
Whats the best way to tweak TCP/IP setting and what range should be used (RWIN, etc)
www/dslreports.com/tweaks

Do the test applet, then download DrTCP.

popper
23-05-2006, 13:46
what ??? I have not tried to fix anything?

I have wasted 12 hours of my life trying to fix it so far taking all reasonable advice, except install Linux - sorry i cba to do that - If u read this post i think you find maybe 1 or 2, what i consider to be worthwile comments, the rest are really just other peoples conversastions.

As far as I am aware it is working now and was due to massive weekend contention rates, if that is the correct terminology for busy cable.

daggadagga, i think you seem to have the wrong end of the stick here, ill stick to my original "whine" if my 10mbit service is going to be 40Kb/s at weekends when i most use it, then thanks and goodbye. I wont know for sure until this coming weekend.

Hmm, so you 'Cant Be Arsed' to install Linux, Hmm thats ok then as i didnt ask you too, i said boot a livecd, it seems you have never hear of such a thing and thats ok.

you simply do a search with your favouate search engine for liveCD , and linux if you like, pick a small one, download it to your harddrive, stick a blank CD into your CD/DVD writer (you do have one of those dont you?,DVD Rewriter (+/-) LG OEM/Retail 16X £24.00 http://www.allcomputers.co.uk/prodcat.asp?CatID=4 ) and write that file out with magic ISO maker or whatever you prefer, reset your machine and perhaps go into your bios if need be to set cd booting options.

done.

take you less than an hour to do that, and you can go do other stuff while you wait for the download if you like, easy really.

if your time is so vital too you, why are you playing with computers, their supposed to be fun, and you sound like you dont have time for fun...........

arr well, take the advice or not, like your going to learn anything new today, its good fun to learn.............

Efour
23-05-2006, 14:59
I give up with this forum.

thanks for some help.

Please read all of the posts. You seem to see the bits you want and ignore the rest.

Playing with computers is fun. Im not exactly sure how much fun i am ment to get from having a simple thing like having an NTL line fitted into my house. How much fun i am going to get from a contended service thats only giving me 40Kb/s at weekends, so much fun I just cant wait for them!

Driving a car is fun, Talking about building a road and the Tarmac, gravel and concrete isnt fun.

Whatver floats your boat i suppose

Chrysalis
24-05-2006, 02:33
www/dslreports.com/tweaks

Do the test applet, then download DrTCP.

why dont u just post the values you using, since in theory it will be similiar numbers needed for everyone and the values it reccomends depends on the latency value you enter. How does one know the best latency value to enter. If they put in the wrong one it will then reccomend values which may be far from optimal.

Efour
24-05-2006, 11:28
tcp/ip tweaks dont magically get you from 40Kb/s to 1200Kb/s

bopdude
24-05-2006, 11:56
tcp/ip tweaks dont magically get you from 40Kb/s to 1200Kb/s

Maybe not but some people in this thread have tried / are trying to help you.
Have you p.m'd Marge the details she was looking for, trued any of the speed test liknks posted, if so

a) I don't see a reply from Marge or a thanks from you so I would hazzard a guess that you haven't.

b) I dont see any speed test results posted, so again, and I'm only guessing, you haven't done.

Of course, if I'm wrong I'll eat humble pie, but if your not prepared to try and play the game why don't ya take your whinging elsewhere :rolleyes:

Efour
25-05-2006, 02:19
I have spoken to her shes on leave for 2 weeks.

Why does no one read the full thread ive already said its working 10mbit off peak but weekends and evenings is awful.

Ive accpeted it, can we move on and stop replying to one post without reading the whole thread ?

Sorry i was trying to save myself a few quid by swapping to NTL from Bulldog ADSL, loads of people warned me that it maybe sub par and theres nothing i could do about it. They were right. THanks to Marge for offering to check out the NTL end but it will all check out as working fine im 99.9% sure.

Im all for tweaking a connection to squeeze a few more Kb/s out of it but i mostly game on this machine and id rather not start fiddling with TCP/Ip stuff as it dosnt help that side much from previous experiance.

I took all the advice i could use, but like i said, it dosnt seem to be anything wrong with the modem/router DSL line, its simply a matter of me living in an area with too many NTL people on my Box, and from what i have found out nothing has been upgraded here since they took over from Cable and Wireless about 10 years ago (or more)

Now if somone would have posted, Move house to some remote Village with NTL and no one else using it, that would have been spot on :O

Phil Capron
25-05-2006, 06:29
Could you please tell us about the way tweaking TCP affects your gaming.Some facts.Just interested.

Chrysalis
25-05-2006, 08:03
I have spoken to her shes on leave for 2 weeks.

Why does no one read the full thread ive already said its working 10mbit off peak but weekends and evenings is awful.

Ive accpeted it, can we move on and stop replying to one post without reading the whole thread ?

Sorry i was trying to save myself a few quid by swapping to NTL from Bulldog ADSL, loads of people warned me that it maybe sub par and theres nothing i could do about it. They were right. THanks to Marge for offering to check out the NTL end but it will all check out as working fine im 99.9% sure.

Im all for tweaking a connection to squeeze a few more Kb/s out of it but i mostly game on this machine and id rather not start fiddling with TCP/Ip stuff as it dosnt help that side much from previous experiance.

I took all the advice i could use, but like i said, it dosnt seem to be anything wrong with the modem/router DSL line, its simply a matter of me living in an area with too many NTL people on my Box, and from what i have found out nothing has been upgraded here since they took over from Cable and Wireless about 10 years ago (or more)

Now if somone would have posted, Move house to some remote Village with NTL and no one else using it, that would have been spot on :O

can I ask was the only reason for moving ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â£ÃƒÆ ’‚£? in general if it isnt broke dont fix it.

popper
26-05-2006, 01:54
Could you please tell us about the way tweaking TCP affects your gaming.Some facts.Just interested.
;)