PDA

View Full Version : How can I tell whether I'm on 1MB or 2MB plse?

carrieann
19-05-2006, 16:12
Hi,
Could someone please tell me if there's a way I can check to see whether I am on 1MB or 2MB?

I changed to 2MB, then just a few hours later I phoned NTL and changed back to 1MB as I didn't really notice any difference.

When I had an engineer out last week because I had problems in staying connected to the Internet, he told me I was still on 2MB and that this was because it would take NTL 28 days before they would put me back to 1MB.

I phoned NTL again and was told that yes, I was still on 2MB. I related to story the engineer told me and she told me that it could be done instantly and she said she'd put me back to 1MB there and then.

I still don't know how to check which one I'm on. The cocky engineer - who told me there was nothing wrong with my connection, just because it was working fine when he was here, and went wrong as soon as he left! - told me there is no way of finding out whether you're on 1MB or 2MB and that only engineers have the code to enter to find out.

Many thanks in advance.

Carrie :)

James Henry
19-05-2006, 16:21
Click http://root:root@192.168.100.1/ and then check the downstream data rate out. 2048000 for 2Mbit and 1024000 for 1Mbit :)

You can only change package once per 30 days though so you are probably still on 2Mbit.

homealone
19-05-2006, 16:22
hi

easiest way, to start with, is the 'speed test' link in the menu bar at the top of this forum, click that & paste back the result.

I'm assuming, seeing as the 'engineer' was so patronising that you have internet via a set top box - could you confirm that?

Aragorn
19-05-2006, 16:22
Do you have a cable modem or STB connection, and if a CM, which one?

Yes you can find out, but we need to know what you are using to advise.

carrieann
19-05-2006, 16:26
Hi all, thanks for your replies.

James, the link you gave won't work, it just says page cannot be displayed.

homealone, I have an external modem, is that what you mean? Sorry, I'm not very technical. :)

Aragorn, when you say do I have a STB connection, do you mean broadband through my set top box for my TV? If so, no I have a modem next to my computer.

Aragorn
19-05-2006, 16:32
What colour is the modem, and does it have any writing on?

homealone
19-05-2006, 16:38
Hi all, thanks for your replies.

James, the link you gave won't work, it just says page cannot be displayed.

homealone, I have an external modem, is that what you mean? Sorry, I'm not very technical. :)

Aragorn, when you say do I have a STB connection, do you mean broadband through my set top box for my TV? If so, no I have a modem next to my computer.

Okey dokey - that makes what the 'engineer' said even worse.

we need the answer to the question Aragorn asked to try & establish which stand alone modem, you have.

- did you get anything from the speed test link?

James Henry
19-05-2006, 16:58
http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ is cool as a speed test too, it shows upload which could be a better clue.

Druchii
19-05-2006, 17:13
http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ is cool as a speed test too, it shows upload which could be a better clue. So cool i even snagged it :)
Sent it to my mate on 1Mb to take the mick out of him... (always complains his line can't go above 1Mb on adsl...)

carrieann
19-05-2006, 17:43
Hi again, the modem is black, has a couple of labels on it and just says Cable Modum.

I did the test and the results are:

965kbps Download
67kbps Upload

Using the link at the top of the page, the results were:

1st 512K took 4391 ms = 116.6 KB/sec, approx 961 Kbps, 0.94 Mbps
2nd 512K took 4297 ms = 119.2 KB/sec, approx 982 Kbps, 0.96 Mbps
3rd 512K took 4328 ms = 118.3 KB/sec, approx 975 Kbps, 0.95 Mbps
4th 512K took 4328 ms = 118.3 KB/sec, approx 975 Kbps, 0.95 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 973 Kbps, 0.95 Mbps

Thanks again,

Carrie :)

Aragorn
19-05-2006, 17:54
Hmm - not sure what modem that is - sounds like an oldish one.
Anyway, those speed tests suggest you are now on 1Mb BB.

carrieann
21-05-2006, 12:45
Thanks very much Aragorn. :)

The bloke that came out changed the modem for a new one as I insisted, because I was having so many problems that couldn't be solved by him. He was obviously not happy and in the end said "well, it's NTL paying for it, not me."

I just hope if I have another problem that it won't be him that comes out to it again as he was very cocky and patronising, spouting a load of data and figures at me, knowing full well that I didn't have a clue what he was on about. :mad:

To be honest, when I reported the fault(s) and got the call centre in India, I would like to have said that I didn't want this particular man out to me again, but I knew they couldn't have done anything about who came out and of course it was sod's law that he arrived for the second time!

Carrie

SnoopZ
21-05-2006, 16:45
http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ is cool as a speed test too, it shows upload which could be a better clue.

I get terrible results using that speed test....

Download Speed: 843 kbps (105.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 451 kbps (56.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

When i know for a fact i can get 1250KB/s using newsgroups. It's a pitty their not that accurate.