PDA

View Full Version : Caller ID

Derek
01-12-2003, 12:46
Just to let you know we can now add on caller ID in the Celtic region (Scotland, Wales, Belfast)

As per other regions it is £1.00 a month

Neil
01-12-2003, 12:51
Nice one Dezzo-thanks for letting us know. :tu:

I'll make this thread a 'sticky' so it sits at the top of the forum. :)

[Edit]-Is there any way you can obtain a definitive list for us of what regions do & don't offer caller I.D? As it is one of the most sought after products in ntl's range!

Thx.

Derek
01-12-2003, 12:56
I'll see what I can do.

gary_580
01-12-2003, 13:06
Just to let you know we can now add on caller ID in the Celtic region (Scotland, Wales, Belfast)

Any news on getting it for the Peterborough region?

downquark1
01-12-2003, 13:08
Gtr. Manchester (Oldham/Rochdale Area)?

Neil
01-12-2003, 13:14
People-why don't you just wait to see what Dezzo can find out?

There's little point in everyone posting their region until he posts back. ;)

gary_580
01-12-2003, 13:27

Sorry didnt see your edit

Marge
01-12-2003, 15:00

Sorry I know this one is a definate no no

Deev
03-12-2003, 01:29
CLI has been launched in Leeds, York, Harrogate and Wearside now too.

:)

JohnM
08-12-2003, 10:13
Well, it's only taken me about 4 years of asking for it.. and 2 months after I move one of my lines to BT because I can't get it... they give me it..

Typical.

JohnM
08-12-2003, 21:32
By the way, it works perfectly - just ordered it and tested it on one of my other lines... bah :)

dilli-theclaw
08-12-2003, 21:36
My dad has just got it - he lives in Sandy in Bedfordshire.

Tristan
06-01-2004, 23:13
That NTL are working on providing Caller ID is great news.

So the obvious question: are they planning on in introducing it to any other regions, and when? ;)

JohnM
07-01-2004, 16:01
I have it on good authority that Caller ID was "always" available in glasgow (from a technical point of view), it was just never sold, for continuity-of-products-betwen-regions reasons. The fact they are actively selling it in Glasgow and other SMS regions suggests they may be looking at making it nationally available... no?

altis
07-01-2004, 17:29
Sorry I know this one is a definate no no

mmm... but petewire, who lives in Warrington, reports on DS (http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105403) that CLID is available in the north-west.

I'm afraid I can't confirm this 'cos we went back to BT months ago. Main reason - so that we could get caller-ID :dozey:

Marge
07-01-2004, 17:35
mmm... but petewire, who lives in Warrington, reports on DS (http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105403) that CLID is available in the north-west.

I'm afraid I can't confirm this 'cos we went back to BT months ago. Main reason - so that we could get caller-ID :dozey:

Well unless they have introduced it since I was in work yesterday it's defo not available in north west

altis
07-01-2004, 17:40
Just shows - don't believe a word you read on DS :D

nicknax11
14-02-2004, 22:44
Is it available in the kent (maidstone/Ashford area?)

nighthawk
19-02-2004, 10:19
I can confirm that Caller ID is now available in:

Glasgow
Erskine
Renfrew
Bishopton

Dante's Inferno
12-03-2004, 07:09

Didn't see a definative list, is there one?

DI

orangebird
12-03-2004, 08:09
Didn't see a definative list, is there one?

DI

No, not yet. But if you pm me your postcode I'll check whether it's available to you? I'm an employee, I'm sure one of the admin or mods will vouch for me on that. :)

Mick
12-03-2004, 08:53
No, not yet. But if you pm me your postcode I'll check whether it's available to you? I'm an employee, I'm sure one of the admin or mods will vouch for me on that. :)
They will. :)

DeadKenny
08-05-2004, 21:50
Surely someone must be able to get a list of the areas? It's something we've been asking for years for.

P.S. Can anyone check if at long last Woking has got it (GU22 postcode)?

Got some nice DECT phones with Caller Display that can't display because of no Caller ID :(

Caller ID is something that's taken longer than Digital TV (and that was a heck of a long wait... remember "coming soon"? ;))

Charlie_Bubble
09-05-2004, 00:14
Surely someone must be able to get a list of the areas? It's something we've been asking for years for.

P.S. Can anyone check if at long last Woking has got it (GU22 postcode)?

Got some nice DECT phones with Caller Display that can't display because of no Caller ID :(

Caller ID is something that's taken longer than Digital TV (and that was a heck of a long wait... remember "coming soon"? ;))

The lack of this feature in the woking area is one of the reasons I finally left NTL.

DeadKenny
09-05-2004, 05:25
The lack of this feature in the woking area is one of the reasons I finally left NTL.

Maybe it's time to apply for that BT line :(. I'm just worried about the very old cable over the street as far as potential ADSL goes (though I'll stick with NTL cable modem at first), but mainly the potentialy large connection fee as it's been so long since I've had BT and never in this house so it's likely to be a new connection fee (£70 ? :(). I don't want to lose my phone number either (not sure if you can port NTL numbers to BT and I bet they charge for it if you can).

Neil
09-05-2004, 08:34
I don't want to lose my phone number either (not sure if you can port NTL numbers to BT and I bet they charge for it if you can).

You can port it DK, & they don't charge for it. :)

russellelly
10-05-2004, 19:16
I can confirm that Caller ID is now available in:

Glasgow
Erskine
Renfrew
Bishopton

Cheers for that :) Just typical that when its available at last they bump the price up (now £1.50/month) :rolleyes:

RamJet
14-08-2004, 14:20
That NTL are working on providing Caller ID is great news.

So the obvious question: are they planning on in introducing it to any other regions, and when? ;)
And especially down here in Worthing/Brighton (where itz not available yet atm) as I discovered when I bought some Panasonic phones with CLI/SMS BUT THEY DONT WORK PROPERLY NTL ! ! ! >>>>> until you enable CLI/SMS !

Ram Jet

martinhog
21-08-2004, 15:14
hello there,

Does anyonme know if Caller display is available in Ashford Kent (Post Code TN23 5YQ) ?. When i was with NTL back in 1997 , they kept saying "you'll get by the end of the month". Our local Tesco has piles of Caller Display 'phones with the NTL badge on !. :)

The web site says yes but their Sales dept will give mixed answers.

Kliro
02-10-2004, 20:12
Sorry if a little OT but what does caller ID actually do?

nffc
03-10-2004, 00:38
Sorry if a little OT but what does caller ID actually do?
Displays the number of the person who's calling you on your phone, like on a mobile- if your phone and network support it and it's not witheld that is.

DazCM
03-10-2004, 13:50
CLI has been launched in Leeds, York, Harrogate and Wearside now too.

:)
Hi Guys

I'm in York, phoned NTL yesterday and was told that Caller Display was still on test here. Anyone know when the test period might end as Deev posted the above last December - surely it can't take NTL 10 months to sort it out?

Daz

stewie
03-10-2004, 15:34
just wondering, why do we have to pay for this, but you get it FREE on a mobile phone?

nffc
03-10-2004, 16:02
just wondering, why do we have to pay for this, but you get it FREE on a mobile phone?
Because NTL are gimps and want to charge for it... but seriously, suppose the mobile phone networks know all phones since the year zog have supported it... but not all phones obviously support it ;)

martinhog
04-10-2004, 10:34
Hi, Caller Display allows you to see the number (and name in some cases) of the person who is calling you. BT have had this service for years as have all the mobile 'phone providers.

Paul Davis
05-11-2004, 16:53
I've been waiting years too for caller ID in the Solent Area used to be Cable and Wireless, we even bought C & W phone to ensure that the Caller ID would be compatable. I ring every now and then to hassle customer services but to no avail. Just get strung along everytime, what I find frustrating is that they can't even offer any light at the end of the tunnel by telling me when. That is crazy as I can't believe that an organisation the size of NTL doesn't have a schedule for when each exchange will be enabled, or do they just plod along ?

To be fair though I have been very happy with the phone service as well as cable broadband, could be though as I'm in Whiteley and the infrastructure here is only 7 years old.

bob_builder
05-11-2004, 17:23
I've been waiting years too for caller ID in the Solent Area used to be Cable and Wireless, we even bought C & W phone to ensure that the Caller ID would be compatable. I ring every now and then to hassle customer services but to no avail. Just get strung along everytime, what I find frustrating is that they can't even offer any light at the end of the tunnel by telling me when. That is crazy as I can't believe that an organisation the size of NTL doesn't have a schedule for when each exchange will be enabled, or do they just plod along ?

To be fair though I have been very happy with the phone service as well as cable broadband, could be though as I'm in Whiteley and the infrastructure here is only 7 years old.
:welcome: Paul!

The problem is that some exchanges do not just need to be "enabled", CallerID is not even an option. For it to be offered in these areas, the entire exchange would have to be replaced!

Paul Davis
05-11-2004, 17:30
:welcome: Paul!

The problem is that some exchanges do not just need to be "enabled", CallerID is not even an option. For it to be offered in these areas, the entire exchange would have to be replaced!
Thanks Bob.

So when are they going to replace them then, must be old switches if they don't support Caller ID

bob_builder
06-11-2004, 13:56
Thanks Bob.

So when are they going to replace them then, must be old switches if they don't support Caller ID
They are probably not that old but were probably cheaper to buy.

I would guess they would only bother replacing them when they break down.
NTL's latest aim is to gain customers on the BT network through Local Loop Unbundling (LLU) and so they have no real incentive to invest in their cable network anymore. :(

injuneer
16-12-2004, 12:46
Ntl use 3 different types of Exchanges, depending which company built the network in the first place!! i.e whether it was Nynex, Videotron etc etc. They can be Nortel DMS, Marconi System X or Nokia. The oldest of these would be about 10 years. They can all support Called ID but some require Hardware upgrades to line controllers. The street hardware (multiplexers) are also a problem in some franchise areas, some of this also requires upgrading! NTL seem very reluctant to spend a lot of money on this. :erm:

progers
28-12-2004, 11:30
I'm confused about Caller ID like everyone else. Phoned CS who said it wasn't supported where I live (CV11 6FU) but one of my neighbours has just ordered ntl on line and it took her order for Caller Display!

So can I have it or not? Can any of those nice ntl people who read this forum help?

:dozey:

Chimaera
28-12-2004, 12:14
Well I'm seriously considering moving back to BT for the phone service - having been told by ntl before I signed up that is was available in my area (RM13), then confirmed again when I ordered that it was available. Surprise surprise, when I rang to activate the service, I was informed it wasn't available and there are no plans in the forseeable future for it to be provided either.
I needed it at the time too, the police advised me to use it to stop my extremely abusive ex-husband making a nuisance of himself!

Paul K
28-12-2004, 12:15
I'm confused about Caller ID like everyone else. Phoned CS who said it wasn't supported where I live (CV11 6FU) but one of my neighbours has just ordered ntl on line and it took her order for Caller Display!

So can I have it or not? Can any of those nice ntl people who read this forum help?

If your neighbour placed the order online she may have seen this page and not seen the bit up the top, therefor she thinks she has the Caller ID in the package but may not get it. If she did it on the phone then maybe she can get it and you just need to ask NTL nicely again ;)

orangebird
29-12-2004, 11:12

Caller ID should definitely be available to you :)

Kliro
02-01-2005, 15:01
Does anyone know if caller ID is available or not in the M33 area?

TIA

jtwn
02-01-2005, 15:10
DN36 aswell please :)

Jon T
02-01-2005, 16:25
and just to be a nag, is it available in NG18?

Mal
03-01-2005, 00:36
Does anyone know if caller ID is available or not in the M33 area?

TIA
The last time I asked Orangebird, it wasn't available in the Manchester area, but it might have changed. :) I'm in the M27 area btw...

Marge
03-01-2005, 00:37
The last time I asked Orangebird, it wasn't available in the Manchester area, but it might have changed. :) I'm in the M27 area btw...

sorry mal, nowt doing

(and keep my secret safe please :erm: )

Mal
03-01-2005, 01:14
sorry mal, nowt doing

(and keep my secret safe please :erm: )
Are they going to be testing it soon or is it one of those areas which will cost to upgrade?

Secret? ;)

Kliro
16-02-2005, 23:04
Are there any plans to have caller ID in Manchester?

My dad is now seeing it as a necessity, and doesnt seem to believe me when I say we cant get it.

Is it available on BT In Manchester, and if so do they charge?

injuneer
16-02-2005, 23:20
Are there any plans to have caller ID in Manchester?

My dad is now seeing it as a necessity, and doesnt seem to believe me when I say we cant get it.

Is it available on BT In Manchester, and if so do they charge?

It's available EVERWHERE on BT and yes, they do charge. NTL ex-Nynex areas still need upgrades to cab equipment, usual story, no money. :erm:

progers
23-02-2005, 17:36
Caller ID should definitely be available to you :)

Thanks Orangebird!!

Called CS again, this time told it was available, said "OK"; reply, "it'll be on within two hours" called home from mobile straight away and BINGO, "Peter Mobile" was calling.
:angel:

Kliro
25-02-2005, 17:24
If I cancel just the phone account with NTL will that affect anything else to do with my account?

bob_builder
25-02-2005, 17:34
If I cancel just the phone account with NTL will that affect anything else to do with my account?
It depends on what else you have on your account (TV, Broadband, etc.). If you have TV you have to have a NTL phone line. If you have NTL dial-up internet you would have to migrate to NTL Freedom dial-up (your current account will not work on a BT line). You can have Broadband without a phone line, however.

th'engineer
31-03-2005, 18:16
Got one of these new fangled cordless phones with caller id any update on the situation in the North West

Chimaera
31-03-2005, 18:28
Still not available in RM13 - unless anyone here knows different! ;)

coolea96
10-06-2005, 22:17
I spoke to CS today - I live in Waltham Forest ( ex CWC area ) couldn't tell me when I would get Caller ID - sometime by the end of the year possibly !

Couldn't get my upgrade to 2MB either due to a backlog on the waiting list

Plus half my channels are missing due to a poor signal probelm in my area !!

I dont get VOD either

remind me again what the justification for the price increase was ?

bob_builder
12-06-2005, 14:22
remind me again what the justification for the price increase was ?
Inflation!

jellybaby
12-06-2005, 18:34
Does anybody know of any plans for PE2 area of peterborough?

ntluser
13-06-2005, 10:48
I retained my BT number when I switched to NTL and paid a £20 porting charge, which I understood to be the cost for linking BT equipment in the local exchange to NTL equipment in such a way that my calls are received on BT equipment in the exchange abd tranferred across to be dealt with by NTL equipment.

Given that the BT equipment can pick up Caller ID, why is it not possible for that information to be passed to the NTL equipment and on to the customer?

I understand that the problem arises from the kind of switches used. Is it not possible to have certain parts of NTL areas to be upgraded with a long term view of upgrading the rest when finances permit?

bob_builder
13-06-2005, 11:04
I retained my BT number when I switched to NTL and paid a £20 porting charge, which I understood to be the cost for linking BT equipment in the local exchange to NTL equipment in such a way that my calls are received on BT equipment in the exchange abd tranferred across to be dealt with by NTL equipment.

Given that the BT equipment can pick up Caller ID, why is it not possible for that information to be passed to the NTL equipment and on to the customer?

I understand that the problem arises from the kind of switches used. Is it not possible to have certain parts of NTL areas to be upgraded with a long term view of upgrading the rest when finances permit?
What actually happens is that the call is automatically routed from BT to NTL at the local exchange as any call to NTL would be.

The CallerID information is passed on to NTL by BT. What happens then is it gets routed through the NTL equipment to your local street cabinet via optic fibre where it then gets sent to your house via wire. If any of that equipment does not support CalllerID then that does not arrive at your phone.

Certian parts of NTL support CallerID in whole, certain parts partially and some not at all. As the older equipemnt dies it will be upgraded with newer stuff that will probably support CallerID so it will take a long time to upgrade everybody.

ntluser
13-06-2005, 11:18
What actually happens is that the call is automatically routed from BT to NTL at the local exchange as any call to NTL would be.

The CallerID information is passed on to NTL by BT. What happens then is it gets routed through the NTL equipment to your local street cabinet via optic fibre where it then gets sent to your house via wire. If any of that equipment does not support CalllerID then that does not arrive at your phone.

Certian parts of NTL support CallerID in whole, certain parts partially and some not at all. As the older equipemnt dies it will be upgraded with newer stuff that will probably support CallerID so it will take a long time to upgrade everybody.

Thanks for that, Bob. Any idea what kind of timescale we are talking about here please?

Paul K
13-06-2005, 11:22
Thanks for that, Bob. Any idea what kind of timescale we are talking about here please?
Theoretically probably years, NTL can't afford to update equipment until it fails so you could be unlucky in that equipment in your local exchange may not fail for quite some time to come.

ntluser
13-06-2005, 11:26
Theoretically probably years, NTL can't afford to update equipment until it fails so you could be unlucky in that equipment in your local exchange may not fail for quite some time to come.

Cheers, Paul. I kinda guessed as much.I'm in South Manchester so I doubt if it's likely to happen any time soon.

bob_builder
13-06-2005, 11:28
Agreed! Also, it may not be just one piece of equipment that needs upgrading.

Paul K
13-06-2005, 11:28

Cheers, Paul. I kinda guessed as much.I'm in South Manchester so I doubt if it's likely to happen any time soon.
Depends on age of equipment and the load on it I would suspect. Some areas have been cabled for years (pre-NTL) and to be honest it wasn't NTLs fault that many cannot get caller ID, it's just their problem to try and replace the equipment as they go along.

Chimaera
13-06-2005, 12:16
Well it says on the website we can get it here - so I've just rung CS to find if it is available. The nice young lady checked and said yes - it's available - I'll just enable it on your digital TV!!!!!!! :rofl:
I had to explain exactly what it was, and the fact that I don't have ntl TV. Then she said no, it's being trialled in the South East at the moment but there are no plans for it to be made available here in the forseeable future. (RM13 area, Essex)

Martin Banner
03-07-2005, 11:56
I've been waiting for caller ID for about 7 years now - what's the problem ? BT have offered it for over a decade. Perhaps Worthing in Sussex (where there is a lot of cable) are just plain ignored ! !

spike7451
03-07-2005, 12:07
In order to get Caller I.D,the Linecards in the Mux (large street cabs) need to be upgraded to CLI Linecards.These hold up to 30 channels (30 seperate phone lines) These cards can be over £1000 each & most areas should have them by now.It's a very labour intensive job & cant be done by flicking a switch.
With some cities like Belfast having over 100 Mux's & up to 10 Line cards per Mux,well you do the math.
Spike

ellie
03-07-2005, 12:32
I rang them and asked about having caller I.D put on (bought a new phone specially for it) and was told by a ntl guy "No chance" https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/10/8.gif ...Im sure that's not meant to be the official statement https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/10/3.gif but I got the message https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/07/26.gif

So is it a nono never ever chance of getting it? https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/09/21.gif

bob_builder
04-07-2005, 09:07
I rang them and asked about having caller I.D put on (bought a new phone specially for it) and was told by a ntl guy "No chance" https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/10/8.gif ...Im sure that's not meant to be the official statement https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/10/3.gif but I got the message https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/07/26.gif

So is it a nono never ever chance of getting it? https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/09/21.gif
It is probably more likely that we will all be using VoIP before they upgrade the PTSN.

N00N00
04-07-2005, 12:36
BT are really rubbing it in now - not only do they offer Caller ID, they've announced that it's totally free :tu:

http://www.bt.com/btprivacy/

(all you have to do is actually make calls via BT, though I expect you probably get away with one a month or something).

ellie
04-07-2005, 22:53
It is probably more likely that we will all be using VoIP before they upgrade the PTSN.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/09/21.gif I dont know what that means https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/08/13.gif

Paul K
04-07-2005, 23:00

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/09/21.gif I dont know what that means https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/08/13.gif
I would hazard a guess that he is saying that most people will be using voice over internet protocol (Phone calls via the internet basically) before NTL get round to upgrading the necessary hardware to allow caller ID to be available in all areas.

ellie
04-07-2005, 23:12
I would hazard a guess that he is saying that most people will be using voice over internet protocol (Phone calls via the internet basically) before NTL get round to upgrading the necessary hardware to allow caller ID to be available in all areas.

Oh I see ..thanku Paul https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/10/9.gif

bob_builder
05-07-2005, 11:16
Essentially, yes! Although I would take that one stage further and say that NTL will be providing most people with VoIP before they get round to upgrading the old hardware and so will not ever bother.

zovat
19-07-2005, 14:36
Is there anywhere you can go online to check whether CLI is available in your area ? (RG12)

N00N00
20-08-2005, 01:20
Any Caller ID news?

Marge
20-08-2005, 01:24
Any Caller ID news?

Absolutely none and please don't hold your breath for the next few years :erm:

spike7451
20-08-2005, 16:25
Read my post on page 5 & that'll explain why some areas dont have CLI.It's basically a money issue....We dont have any!!!!!

city-boy
08-12-2005, 20:31
My partner just signed up for NTL online. TV, Phone etc. My partner ordered CallerID for a couple of pounds per month along with the package. The cable was installed today and alas no callerID. I'm wondering if they are now cheeky enough to actually charge for it on the bill.

You would of thought that once you had entered your postcode etc that the system would of been clever enough to not give you the option when you sign up.

This should be grounds for getting the whole lot cancelled I'm guessing. Has anybody else been misselling NTL?

Still could be worse, I could tell you about the whole disaster which was Sky digital installation, needless to say my partner now has NTL.

King Of Fools
12-12-2005, 11:14
My partner just signed up for NTL online. TV, Phone etc. My partner ordered CallerID for a couple of pounds per month along with the package. The cable was installed today and alas no callerID. I'm wondering if they are now cheeky enough to actually charge for it on the bill.

You would of thought that once you had entered your postcode etc that the system would of been clever enough to not give you the option when you sign up.
It could be that they have forgotten to enable Caller ID on the account rather than the fact that it is not available - give customer services a call to find out for sure.

tomtank62
13-12-2005, 13:41
I am told by CS that Caller Id is not available to me in HG3 but my mate who lives 3 miles away in HG1 has had it for years! :confused:

EJP99
20-04-2006, 18:29
I would hazard a guess that he is saying that most people will be using voice over internet protocol (Phone calls via the internet basically) before NTL get round to upgrading the necessary hardware to allow caller ID to be available in all areas. I am sure this is about right †“ from 2 sources.

Last year I wrote to Simon Duffy (no less!) to complain about the lack of Caller Display. I got a call back from someone in NTL. The caller made it clear that a decision had been taken to cancel any further roll out on the current network †“ for cost reasons. It would have to wait for new technology †“ but he knew of no dates †“ would be years!

Couple this with the presentation made by Steve Upton (NTL Technical Director) at the 2004 Investors Day (Found on NTLââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s Investors pages at http://www.ntl.com/locales/gb/en/investors/presentations/network-overview-final-vr.pdf )

Look at page 31 and you will see the then planned timescale for the roll out of VoIP was: start - 2006, complete †“ 2009.
He makes it clear he is referring to VoIP within the network, transparent to the end user (in other words using existing phones) and replacing the 'ageing legacy "TDM" network'.

No doubt these dates have slipped †“ all dates slip with NTL.

His presentation also says the current TDM technology is becoming obsolete and the way ahead is to converge the data and voice networks. ie the voice network in the future will share the backbone Broadband network.

jumbo159
20-04-2006, 20:19
This is one of the many resons why I now use VOIP. Along with lack of online instant billing from NTL, crappy voicemail that they charge for, and general lack of other 'star services' like call waiting etc. (I'm Ashford ex-CWC area)
As mentioned in another thread, after a bit of persuasion, NTL have cut £10.50 from my TV pack, as I argued that I dont use the POTS they insist on bundling with the telly.

Tsunami60
27-05-2006, 22:33
I've been asking for years too and i've never had the same answer!

Joe_Curry
28-05-2006, 20:47
Sorry but DE24 ???? pls, pls , pls

Shaun
29-05-2006, 01:21
Time to look at Vonage (£7.99 for free national/local calls, caller display et al.) for your phone and Sky for your TV (PVR/interactive at a reasonable cost). Keep your BB for Internet if it works for you but run your new phone line over it for a fraction of the cost of a "real" Ntl line! :D

AdrianC
04-06-2006, 19:56
Sorry but DE24 ???? pls, pls , pls

What he said, that's my neck of the woods too!

Drag
12-06-2006, 00:05
Hi

I need to get hold of a user manual for the NTL D5100 phone or at the very least the basics for operating the phone also problem how listening the message need pin code can anyone help me out?

Cheers

mmm
30-06-2006, 10:38
Hi

I need to get hold of a user manual for the NTL D5100 phone or at the very least the basics for operating the phone also problem how listening the message need pin code can anyone help me out?

Cheers

:welcome:

That's such common problem, and Google directs you to this site where a number of us have this phone! If I could find my manual I would scan it in to avoid you paying 4.99 from sites that sell it!

You can only operate the answerphone from the main handset, not the slave (d505).

To listen to messages you press the top left 'tape' symbol. The display changes to "ANS MAC" you then use the words under the buttons to operate the answerphone ie "2" for play.

I don't recall ever using a PIN - is this for collecting messages via calling in remotely? You can set one using Menu - Ans Menu - ok - PIN code

I can't test as my NTL phone line doesn't work...

breamhunter
03-07-2006, 20:35
Ok how long has Great Yarmouth had Caller ID? :confused:

Phoned for the 6th time to complain about a balls up an NTL engineer did in the green cab down the bottom of the road (he was instaling cable for someone else on the street 2 weeks ago, went in the cab like a bull in a china shop and pulled me piggin wire out for me phone :mad: )

Anyway, I got put through to a spot on geezer called Terry who finally fixed a call divert that was placed on my line to divert calls to my Sipgate number whilst i was waiting for the repair but it stuck on for two weeks:td:

Anyway, to get back to the point, he was doing some tests at my local NTL exchange and I said to him could he check if Yarmouth was enabled for Caller ID yet he said "Yes", at this point i`m in denial :cool: Turns out it frigin is :Yikes:

Can someone shed any light to when this was enabled?

N00N00
26-07-2006, 15:57
Nice to see NTL still upgrading their network (albeit very slowly).

parky
05-09-2006, 11:52

I'm in Warrington, I just called NTL and CLI is not available for me.

Ian

pxr5
11-09-2006, 15:57
Anyone know if Lincoln has CLI? I've just switched to NTL and I've been with BT for the last year and had it there OK. Before that I lived in Cyprus for 4 years and even they had it no problem. I really miss CLI.

nffc
01-10-2006, 00:00
Anyone know if CLID is available in Nottm yet?

DubDays
31-10-2006, 11:22
Still not available in the old C&W area in Southampton region.

Valerie
31-10-2006, 12:51
anyone know if caller id available in Abingdon, OX14? (and why ntl don't have a simple site list?)

Logan
05-12-2006, 09:54
Is called ID available in Northampton? Currently geting calls through NTL but no caller ID as standard...

Mal
11-12-2006, 20:43
I don't suppose anyone knows if the M27 area has caller ID yet? :)

Graham M
11-12-2006, 20:53
Is called ID available in Northampton? Currently geting calls through NTL but no caller ID as standard...

THat'd be because it's neither standard nor free iirc.

RamJet
31-12-2006, 15:56
I don't suppose anyone knows if the M27 area has caller ID yet? :)

anyone know if CLI is is available Worthing/Brighton

RJ

coolea96
10-01-2007, 23:01
R NTL actually botthering to upgrade any more - been with CWC/NTL for nearly 10 years now ... still no CLI ... should I just give up hope... such a basic service... ( so tired of seeing it in the pricing but can never get it .. )

c'mon NTL.. if your charging for it ... then business case must be there

Countrycat
11-01-2007, 13:33
My dad has just got it - he lives in Sandy in Bedfordshire.

Hi, do you know what type of phone he has? I live nearby in Bedford and have never been able to make caller ID work, tho NTL swear its available. My understanding is that caller ID on cable does not work with many types of handset.... (I tried with Philips Zenia and nada, am about to buy new phone but having difficulty identifying which will work propertly with cable).
Thanks!;) :)

Marge
11-01-2007, 13:45
Hi, do you know what type of phone he has? I live nearby in Bedford and have never been able to make caller ID work, tho NTL swear its available. My understanding is that caller ID on cable does not work with many types of handset.... (I tried with Philips Zenia and nada, am about to buy new phone but having difficulty identifying which will work propertly with cable).
Thanks!;) :)

Just to confirm, have you actually had the Caller ID enabled on your line as yet ??

Countrycat
11-01-2007, 14:16
Just to confirm, have you actually had the Caller ID enabled on your line as yet ??I had it enabled, it didn't work, the engineers came out twice, it still didn't work, so I had it taken off. Admittedly, that was about 3 years ago, and I haven't tried it since.;)

dave_dph
13-01-2007, 10:28
I had it enabled, it didn't work, the engineers came out twice, it still didn't work, so I had it taken off. Admittedly, that was about 3 years ago, and I haven't tried it since.;)

Do you know which switch type is installed at your NTL franchise, i.e. System X or DMS 100?

jamiehorrocksuk
06-02-2007, 12:35
Is there anyway of finding out id Caller ID is available in my area without calling ntl?

Marge
06-02-2007, 13:02
Is there anyway of finding out id Caller ID is available in my area without calling ntl?

Whats the first bit of your postcode and I'll try and rack my brain cell ??

jamiehorrocksuk
06-02-2007, 13:15
Hp21

MisterPie
06-02-2007, 15:20
oh, oh do me do me!!!
MK45-4 - off the luton exchange
I'd love to have caller ID on my line :-)

savvychels
09-02-2007, 18:50
Well since we're checking areas, can you check BH17?

Thanks!

Marge
09-02-2007, 20:11
oh, oh do me do me!!!
MK45-4 - off the luton exchange
I'd love to have caller ID on my line :-)

I think so for you

---------- Post added at 20:11 ---------- Previous post was at 20:11 ----------

Well since we're checking areas, can you check BH17?

Thanks!

No, sorry, don't think you can

nffc
09-02-2007, 20:42
Anyone know if CLID is available in Nottm yet?..........

Mal
09-02-2007, 21:31
Debbie, can you remember if M27 has had caller id yet?

Ta :)

Marge
09-02-2007, 21:37
Debbie, can you remember if M27 has had caller id yet?

Ta :)

Nope Mal, sorry chuck

Mal
09-02-2007, 22:04
Nope Mal, sorry chuckOh well...thanks anyway :)

savvychels
10-02-2007, 18:42
No, sorry, don't think you can

Figured as much - thanks though for confirming. That's the only thing missing from what I would like out of it all.

Felim_Doyle
15-02-2007, 12:37
The big Caller Id. / SMS question. Can anyone confirm the availability of Caller Id. (CLI) and SMS on NTL in the Aylesbury HP21 area (Bromley hardware if that is relevant)?

Also, can anyone recommend a suitable 'phone for use with NTLs Caller Id. (CLI) and SMS (if available)? Ideally a DECT cordless 'phone but even and add-on caller display unit would be of interest.

Félim

See my related posting at http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=34223040&postcount=48 in http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11/17234-merged-ntl-sms-post-34223040.html.

parpenbhwarg
19-02-2007, 12:10
I am in the process of getting my phone number ported from BT to Virgin and presume that this will not affect whether it is or is not possible to receive Caller ID.

Going along with that presumption, would it be possible Debbie to see if the NN10 area offers Caller ID when you get a spare moment, pretty please? :)

AlabasterLyn
20-02-2007, 12:21
I've been waiting for Caller ID for about 8yrs now :confused:

Everytime I phone NTL they tell me 'it will happen soon' but 'soon' never seems to come around.

Last time I phoned I was told by someone else that because I live in an area that was originally Jones Cable, then Cable & Wireless and then NTL, that we probably won't ever get it in the Watford Herts area.

I am seriously considering leaving NTL altogether and going over to BT as I have 5 phones that will all accept Caller ID and it's something I think is really great to have.

I did try emailing VirginMedia to ask them but got no reply, which didn't surprise me :rolleyes:

smarty
20-02-2007, 13:07
Hi, I changed from BT to NTL in December last year and was assured that CLID was available in my area (Ashford) and all I had to do was ring Customer Services and they would set it up.
After the install I 'phoned Customer Services to have CLID enabled and was then informed that it was not available and "Not likely to be"
So beware.

Mujja
27-02-2007, 12:19
Debbie B,

Would you check if CLID is now available in the Portsmouth area, PO5 to be exact. It's the only thing stopping me from going back to NTL.

AlabasterLyn
27-02-2007, 13:08
Debbie B,

Would you check if CLID is now available in the Portsmouth area, PO5 to be exact. It's the only thing stopping me from going back to NTL.

Would it be possible to check the WD19 Watford area too please :)

AndyCambs
11-03-2007, 19:57
Is there anywhere on the site that tells you:
a) if Caller ID is available in your area
b) if not, does anyone know if there are plans to roll it out?

My parents are on BT, and thinking of moving to VM, but enjoy the functionality of Caller ID on the BT line and would miss it.

AlabasterLyn
15-03-2007, 10:56

My parents are on BT, and thinking of moving to VM, but enjoy the functionality of Caller ID on the BT line and would miss it.

In my experience of spending years phoning NTL to ask this very question, I don't think even VM staff know the answer to that. At one point I was told it was available and even ordered it, only to be told they had made an error and it wasn't. I gather from what I was told that if the area you are in was once owned by another cable company then it's unlikely that the exchanges will ever be upgraded to enable Caller ID as it's too expensive. It's about time they realised that there are many of us that want Caller ID and are willing to change back to BT to get it if they don't get their act together.

Lyn

sdwhite
16-03-2007, 11:11
I gather from what I was told that if the area you are in was once owned by another cable company then it's unlikely that the exchanges will ever be upgraded to enable Caller ID as it's too expensive.

Lyn

Nah! I'm in the Salisbury/Andover area which was ComTel before Ntl, and we have had caller ID for about 3 or 4 years now.:D

buckleb
16-03-2007, 12:28
Ex Eurobell region here (Crawley) and Caller ID is available. However, I understand that a major upgrade was done in this area after the takeover, so I expect all the bells and whistles were put in place also.

AlabasterLyn
17-03-2007, 13:52
Nah! I'm in the Salisbury/Andover area which was ComTel before Ntl, and we have had caller ID for about 3 or 4 years now.:D

Perhaps it depends which cable company you were with before. I started with Jones Cable who were then taken over by Cable & Wireless, then NTL and now VM.

Lyn

Theodoric
20-03-2007, 10:51

I've just been on to CS asking those very questions and the answers were that there is nowhere on the VM site that will tell you if it is available and that there is no-one, but no-one, whom you can contact to ask for information about when your area may get it. I suppose that at least the answers were honest.

A couple of interesting things about CLID and the VM site is that it blatantly bends the truth well beyond breaking point.

At this page (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/whychooseus/phone/features.shtml) it says, "We've got the lot. From Call Waiting and Caller Display to Anonymous Caller Rejection and Ring Back When Free". Now that is totally clear and unambiguous; get your phone from VM and you can have CLID - no ifs, no buts.

At this page (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/phone/phonefeatures.html) it says that "most Virgin Phone customers can get this service". A bit less definite, but it still implies that it will be unusual for you not to get CLID. If so, why all the complaints in this forum and why are VM so afraid of providing any information (except for a blunt, "You can't have it") to their customers?

dave_dph
20-03-2007, 17:20
[quote=Theodoric;34255150]I've just been on to CS asking those very questions and the answers were that there is nowhere on the VM site that will tell you if it is available and that there is no-one, but no-one, whom you can contact to ask for information about when your area may get it. I suppose that at least the answers were honest./quote]

If your parents are in an ex-Telewest area then Caller Display is available, it is only some of the ex-NTL areas where it is sadly lacking.

n.viney@ntlworld
21-03-2007, 00:14
[quote=Theodoric;34255150]I've just been on to CS asking those very questions and the answers were that there is nowhere on the VM site that will tell you if it is available and that there is no-one, but no-one, whom you can contact to ask for information about when your area may get it. I suppose that at least the answers were honest./quote]

If your parents are in an ex-Telewest area then Caller Display is available, it is only some of the ex-NTL areas where it is sadly lacking.

Hi All! As a new member I feel that I must contribute,so I will spend many minutes/hours on the pnone later today to try to get an answer to these questions,sorry, but this is the best I can do! I will post the replies later today. Sorry Theo. I am not doubting you for a moment!

AlabasterLyn
22-03-2007, 12:12
Well I just came off the phone with VM, it was a very long call as I was on hold, got cut off, rang back, on hold again and then a very nice lady went off and checked it it was available here.

The bad news was that it still isn't available here, however the good news is that she says it will be available in April and that they are indeed rolling out Caller ID to cover everywhere.

I will phone back next month and see if they are true to their word.

Lyn

Marge
22-03-2007, 12:23
Crikey, I will be amazed if they are rolling out to cover everywhere as it was always a non-runner when I was there.

AlabasterLyn
22-03-2007, 13:30
Crikey, I will be amazed if they are rolling out to cover everywhere as it was always a non-runner when I was there.

Well I have to say I was told we'd have Caller ID in this area years ago and it never materialised, so I will just have to live in hope I guess :D

mightyeye
22-03-2007, 18:32
This is one reason we changed to BT, CLID is a useful service and NTL could not provide this faciility where we live. Another reason is the £5 charge for itemised billing. We hope Virgin Media in the future will deliver more up to date, competitive telephone packages in the future as it is now BT have the edge and a better product for customers.

Theodoric
22-03-2007, 21:57
Well I just came off the phone with VM, it was a very long call as I was on hold, got cut off, rang back, on hold again and then a very nice lady went off and checked it it was available here.

The bad news was that it still isn't available here, however the good news is that she says it will be available in April and that they are indeed rolling out Caller ID to cover everywhere.

I will phone back next month and see if they are true to their word.

Lyn
Well, you've had better luck than I have in getting VM to give you any information at all about CLID in a particular area.

I've twice asked CS about this over the past few days and they have said that:

1) It is not available in my area (Bromley, London).

2) They are unable to give any further information whatsoever about when it is likely to become available.

3) They are unable to give any information whatsoever about whether it may never become available.

4) It is impossible for me to speak to anyone else in VM about this problem.

5) It is impossible for anyone in VM to give me any reason why they refuse to provide any useful information on CLID availability.

To be honest, the behaviour of VM on this subject is a total disgrace. In essence, they are simply refusing, point blank, to discuss the matter with their customers. The only reasonable conclusion that you can draw from this is that VM have something to hide. What other conclusion is possible?

valor
26-03-2007, 20:21
Is there a code to turn caller ID "on" for NTL/VM i know you can do it with a BT line by keying in *234# and "off " with #234#

Arch Stanton
28-03-2007, 15:54
These are the area's that I believe are capable of supplying CLI. This information is supplied in good faith and is not meant to mislead anyone. Hopefully I have captured all the relevant areas. You'll notice that these are all area's from the ex-ntl part of VM.

All of Ex-CableTel....

Surrey and Hants/ South Wales/ Huddersfield/ Glasgow/ Northern Ireland/ Herts and Beds

All of Ex-Diamond Cable....

Nottingham/ Mansfield/ Grimsby/ Woodborough/ Lincoln/ Leicester

All of Ex-Comtel

Reading/ Northampton/ Coventry/ Lichfield/ Northfields/ Salisbury/ Stafford/ Warwick / Hemel Hempstead/ Oxford

All of Ex-Comcast

Darlington/ Hartlepool/ Middlesborough/ Stockton

As I say, this is supplied in good faith and is not intended to mislead. I hope this is of help.

nffc
29-03-2007, 01:04
Woot. How do we get it then? And does it work on dect phones?

Felim_Doyle
29-03-2007, 09:58
These are the area's that I believe are capable of supplying CLI. This information is supplied in good faith and is not meant to mislead anyone. Hopefully I have captured all the relevant areas. You'll notice that these are all area's from the ex-ntl part of VM.

All of Ex-CableTel....

Surrey and Hants/ South Wales/ Huddersfield/ Glasgow/ Northern Ireland/ Herts and Beds

All of Ex-Comtel

Reading/ Northampton/ Coventry/ Lichfield/ Northfields/ Salisbury/ Stafford/ Warwick / Hemel Hempstead/ Oxford

All of Ex-Comcast

As I say, this is supplied in good faith and is not intended to mislead. I hope this is of help.
Oh well! So nothing yet for ex-CWC [Cable & Wireless] in Aylesbury on the Bromley platform which I believe uses a Nortel exchange.

---------- Post added at 09:58 ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 ----------

Woot. How do we get it then? And does it work on dect phones?
Whether a 'phone is DECT [Digital Enhanced (formerly European) Cordless Telecommunications] or hardwired should not matter. What is important is which signalling standard(s) the 'phone and your local exchange comply with. There are various incompatible standards and, even within each of these, different telcos and 'phone manufacturers implement them slightly differently with varying results.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DECT and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_Line_Identification.

Félim

AlabasterLyn
30-03-2007, 11:47

All of Ex-CableTel....

All of Ex-Comtel

All of Ex-Comcast

I must be thick as I don't quite understand all of that :erm:

I see you've put Herts as being capable of suppyling Caller ID, but you mention 'Ex-Cable'. Is that the name of the company? I'm in Watford, Herts and we were Cable & Wireless and Jones Cable before that. I have no idea what exchange is in charge of the area I am in.

I'd be pretty miffed if the woman at VM has given me wrong information again though.

Lyn

pxr5
30-03-2007, 15:21
I'm in Lincoln. So how do you go about getting it active?

Draxx
30-03-2007, 15:43
We were promised caller ID was just around the corner about 3 years ago...Well the day came its here..by chance found out when phoning up to get a cheaper bill....The bad news ..all the time we couldnt get it it was free now its £1.75........

Nedkelly
30-03-2007, 16:26
PXr5 all you do is ring yp and tjey will make it active on your line :tu:

Arch Stanton
31-03-2007, 13:37
I must be thick as I don't quite understand all of that :erm:

I see you've put Herts as being capable of suppyling Caller ID, but you mention 'Ex-Cable'. Is that the name of the company? I'm in Watford, Herts and we were Cable & Wireless and Jones Cable before that. I have no idea what exchange is in charge of the area I am in.

I'd be pretty miffed if the woman at VM has given me wrong information again though.

Lyn

ex-CableTel is the old company name. Its franchise was called Herts and Beds. The areas were Luton, Cheshunt, Biggleswade, Dunstable, Ware etc etc. Watford was in a different franchise area. Not sure who, but I'm guessing they were bought by C&W. Watford as far as I am aware cannot supply Cli. Sorry.

AlabasterLyn
31-03-2007, 18:27
ex-CableTel is the old company name. Its franchise was called Herts and Beds. The areas were Luton, Cheshunt, Biggleswade, Dunstable, Ware etc etc. Watford was in a different franchise area. Not sure who, but I'm guessing they were bought by C&W. Watford as far as I am aware cannot supply Cli. Sorry.

I did wonder if the lady who assured me that Caller ID was available in Watford as of next month was right, I guess not :(

Before Cable & Wireless we were Jones Cable around here.

Lyn

Arch Stanton
31-03-2007, 19:43
I did wonder if the lady who assured me that Caller ID was available in Watford as of next month was right, I guess not :(

Lyn

I have some contacts around the business. I'll make some enquiries.

Felim_Doyle
01-04-2007, 08:23

Lyn
In Aylesbury, Bell Cable Media began digging up the road but work halted for several months until Cable & Wireless took over.

Félim

AlabasterLyn
01-04-2007, 12:04
Once again I own up to not being at all technical, but I do wonder just why so many areas are not being upgraded to enable Caller ID? You can get it all over the country if you have a BT phone, so why not with cable? There had to be a time when BT themselves upgraded all their exchanges to enable Caller ID, so why are cable companies loathe to spend money on something that people want? It's bad enough that we don't have a Call Waiting system that works very well. I had mine taken off as, unlike with BT, there is no way someone phoning you can tell if you are already on the phone as there is no automated voice system telling them you are on another call. If VM don't keep up with current technology surely people are going to start wondering why they bother staying with them :confused:

Lyn

Felim_Doyle
01-04-2007, 21:35
Once again I own up to not being at all technical, but I do wonder just why so many areas are not being upgraded to enable Caller ID? You can get it all over the country if you have a BT phone, so why not with cable? There had to be a time when BT themselves upgraded all their exchanges to enable Caller ID, so why are cable companies loathe to spend money on something that people want? It's bad enough that we don't have a Call Waiting system that works very well. I had mine taken off as, unlike with BT, there is no way someone phoning you can tell if you are already on the phone as there is no automated voice system telling them you are on another call. If VM don't keep up with current technology surely people are going to start wondering why they bother staying with them :confused:

Lyn
It's a very long and complicated story. Basically, as far as I know, since upgrading to an all digital network BT exclusively use System X and System Y exchanges which support all of the Caller Id., Call Waiting etc. facilities to a common standard. VM/NTL/C&W inherited a mish-mash of equipment from their predecessors much of which can support some or all of these same facilities but not necessarily to the same standard as is used across the BT network. That is why, for example, the star (*) codes for enabling/disabling certain features are different across exchanges and networks. However, in this day and age of software based telephony, I don't understand why this cannot be easily reprogrammed.

Strangely, if you forward a call from VM to a BT or mobile number, the Caller Id., including international numbers if I remember correctly, is forwarded and displayed on the BT or mobile phone (if Caller Id. is enabled). BT on the other had, do not handle inbound or outbound international Caller Id. particularly well causing inbound not to be displayed and outbound to be displayed when the number has been withheld.

With regard to Call Waiting, I believe that VM/NTL/C&W have always said that it does not work with the voicemail facility (although it does on BT).

If anyone can correct or expand on what I have said, please do.

Félim

Arch Stanton
01-04-2007, 21:41
Lyn, VM are faced with the conumdrum of investing in an aging network or a Next Generation Network. The Cli upgrade has been looked at many times and the costs are huge.

Without giving too much away, work has begun on a NGN. I'm sure there will be news in the press sometime soon.

---------- Post added at 21:41 ---------- Previous post was at 21:37 ----------

Félim - the other issue to take account of is billing systems. Not only are there upgrades to different switch types and transmission equipment types there were various billing systems to be upgraded. These software guys can cost an arm and a leg.

AlabasterLyn
02-04-2007, 11:19
Well as it's now April and allegedly Caller ID will be enabled here this month, in my dreams only perhaps ;) I am going to phone VM again and see if I get the same response as last time.

Just got off the phone to them and it seems the lady I spoke to last month was indeed wrong and there is no date for the national roll out of Caller ID and definately no date for it in my area. I don't understand why they give you information that they aren't confident is correct.

Lyn

pxr5
02-04-2007, 15:29
In Lincoln here and I've just rang VM. They said no problem with CLID and it will go active tomorrow. £1.70 though and I'll wait and see if it works or not.

Now someone is going to tell me I need a special phone that's compatible with VM. At the moment I've got a BT phone, but the lady at VM said it will be OK, but I'm not holding my breath.

dave_dph
02-04-2007, 21:36
In Lincoln here and I've just rang VM. They said no problem with CLID and it will go active tomorrow. £1.70 though and I'll wait and see if it works or not.

Now someone is going to tell me I need a special phone that's compatible with VM. At the moment I've got a BT phone, but the lady at VM said it will be OK, but I'm not holding my breath.

It depends how old the BT phone is and also the switch type installed at your franchise. I think all of the latest BT phones are dual compatible, i.e. Caller ID will work with System X and also Bellcore Caller ID on the DMS switch.

As you appear to be ex-NTL I cannot tell you which switch type you have in Lincoln; there is information available VM's website which tells you the switch type for all ex-TW areas.

Felim_Doyle
03-04-2007, 10:58
It depends how old the BT phone is and also the switch type installed at your franchise. I think all of the latest BT phones are dual compatible, i.e. Caller ID will work with System X and also Bellcore Caller ID on the DMS switch.

As you appear to be ex-NTL I cannot tell you which switch type you have in Lincoln; there is information available VM's website which tells you the switch type for all ex-TW areas.
Can you post the link to this information please? Maybe we can coerce VM into updating it to include ex-NTL franchises areas.

Félim

AlabasterLyn
03-04-2007, 11:38
It would help if the Customer Service staff at VM were all on the same page when it came to giving out information. I really got my hopes up about having Caller ID this month, only to find out the lady I spoke to gave me false information :(

Lyn

Arch Stanton
03-04-2007, 16:12

If only it were as simple as what switch type was in any particular region.

Type of Transmission Equipment and what Billing System has also to be factored in.

BTW, the Lincoln Switch is a System X.

pxr5
04-04-2007, 08:45
Well tried last night and still no Caller id. My phone is a BT Equinox (about a year old). Guess I'll have to give them a ring later today and check compatibility with this 'System X' and my phone. Geez this is hard work.

dave_dph
04-04-2007, 22:32
Well tried last night and still no Caller id. My phone is a BT Equinox (about a year old). Guess I'll have to give them a ring later today and check compatibility with this 'System X' and my phone. Geez this is hard work.

Dial *#234# which will tell you whether the service is active on your line. You will get one of three responses:

1. Callers identities will be displayed (service is active on line and switched on)

2. Callers identities will not be displayed (service is active on line but is switched off)

3. Sorry the service requested is not available. (service hasn't been activated on the switch)

If you receive the second message then just hang up and then from a new dial tone key *234#, this will switch the service on.

---------- Post added at 22:32 ---------- Previous post was at 22:27 ----------

Can you post the link to this information please? Maybe we can coerce VM into updating it to include ex-NTL franchises areas.

Félim

Have a look here:

http://help2.virginmedia.com/help/getContent.jspx?page=help_phone

That link shows the userguides for each of the old TW franchise areas. I think there is some wording on the front cover that states the switch type installed for that particular franchise.

arcamalpha2004
04-04-2007, 22:57

Or free with BT.

nffc
05-04-2007, 00:12
Dial *#234# which will tell you whether the service is active on your line. You will get one of three responses:

1. Callers identities will be displayed (service is active on line and switched on)

2. Callers identities will not be displayed (service is active on line but is switched off)

3. Sorry the service requested is not available. (service hasn't been activated on the switch)

If you receive the second message then just hang up and then from a new dial tone key *234#, this will switch the service on.

I get the 3rd :(

dave_dph
05-04-2007, 07:25
I get the 3rd :(

Have you asked Customer Services whether it is available and for it to be activated on your line? You will get the third response even if the service is available but hasn't been activated by CS.

pxr5
05-04-2007, 08:17

I already knew about the *234# and #234# thanks. I rang VM last night again and they said it had been left on pending for some reason and it would be done by this morning. Anyway I tried *234# straight after the call and it worked - woooohooooo.

nutellajunkie
06-04-2007, 10:41
Im not sure what the meaning is here, but I have lived in the .renf area for nearly a decade, and as far as I remember, ive always had C-ID.

PS, remember and ask retentions allow you to have this for free - since they dont want you going to BT, they shouldnt have much problem allowing this.

AlabasterLyn
06-04-2007, 12:24
Im not sure what the meaning is here, but I have lived in the .renf area for nearly a decade, and as far as I remember, ive always had C-ID.

PS, remember and ask retentions allow you to have this for free - since they dont want you going to BT, they shouldnt have much problem allowing this.

I think what a lot of us are saying is that Caller ID is not available nationally, it depends on where you live. Some areas have been waiting for over 10yrs with the constant promise of it being available 'anytime now', which really means they have absolutely no idea at all and don't seem to care either.

Lyn

Guy T
08-04-2007, 08:41
I think what a lot of us are saying is that Caller ID is not available nationally, it depends on where you live. Some areas have been waiting for over 10yrs with the constant promise of it being available 'anytime now', which really means they have absolutely no idea at all and don't seem to care either.

Lyn

Same here in Derby! - CS have been saying "available in the next 3-6 months" for the last 9 years at least. I remember the Nynex sales chap at the time saying how the phone system being installed was far more advanced than BT's :erm: Yeah of course it is !!!!!
It must be about time to call them again for the twice yearly update !

Arch Stanton
14-04-2007, 11:26
Guy - unfortunately Derby cannot support Cli.

ntluser
15-04-2007, 07:41
Guy - unfortunately Derby cannot support Cli.

Is there a list of areas which cannot support CLI?

Is Virgin Media intending to do anything about this problem?

What is involved in providing CLI and what are the main technical obstacles ( part from the vast expense) to doing that?

AlabasterLyn
15-04-2007, 13:20

What is involved in providing CLI and what are the main technical obstacles ( part from the vast expense) to doing that?

Good question, would love to know the answer ;)

King Of Fools
15-04-2007, 18:20
It is all to do with the technical details of the phone exchange in each area. There are a lot of different systems and some of them are just not compatible with CLI. To get CLI to work in these areas would require a brand new exchange to be purchased and installed, which would not make financial sense with VoIP exchanges coming very soon.

AlabasterLyn
15-04-2007, 18:24
It is all to do with the technical details of the phone exchange in each area. There are a lot of different systems and some of them are just not compatible with CLI. To get CLI to work in these areas would require a brand new exchange to be purchased and installed, which would not make financial sense with VoIP exchanges coming very soon.

I have no idea what a VoIP exchange is :confused: but does that mean that when VM have those that Caller ID will then be available nationwide or are some areas never going to be enabled.

Lyn

Arch Stanton
15-04-2007, 20:21

There are Switch and Transmission upgrades required. Plus changes to the billing system as VM wish to charge for this feature.

Soft Switches will be rolled out, however do not expect changes to the situation overnight.

---------- Post added at 20:21 ---------- Previous post was at 20:19 ----------

I do have access to a list of areas that do not support Cli.

I'm not party to what VM intend to do at the moment. That's in the hands of others, although a lot of the equipment that requires upgrading is now obsolete.

Rapid Dr3am
16-04-2007, 11:23
Which switch doesn't support CLI?

I know we run nokia, system x and dms.

Theodoric
16-04-2007, 20:23

Well, I can't answer parts 1 or 3, but I can, after a fashion, answer part 2 because, over the past couple of months, I've asked VM this question on 3 separate occasions.

The VM position is starkly simple; they simply refuse, point blank, to answer any queries on this question. To put it another way, they refuse to give out any information whatsoever on whether and, if so, when CLI might, or might not, come to a given area.

Guy T
16-04-2007, 20:56
So VOIP is the answer? - ok when ?
There was a trial supposed to be happening in March 2006 - did it ever happen.
What happened to the Ericsson deal for VOIP?
I hope it's better than the Ericsson VOIP system I am just in the process of removing at work! - 3 years on and Ericssons dealers still can't solve the ongong problems - Cisco system installed last week :)

ntluser
20-02-2008, 20:07
Does anyone know if there is a post code checker that will tell you if Caller ID is available in your area?

BenMcr
20-02-2008, 23:35
nope but a easy rule of thumb is almost all ex-nynex/videotron/Cable & Wireless areas can't do it

---------- Post added at 23:35 ---------- Previous post was at 23:31 ----------

1) see above

2) not cost effective till soft switches come into play (VM equivalent of BT's 21CN)

3) complete replacement of all switches and line cards. Billing system is not an issue now as all areas are on system designed to bill for Caller Display.

Biggest reason why some areas can't do it is the equipment was designed before Caller Display was thought of for landlines and was not designed to be software upgradeable.

For a feature that Virgin charges £1.75 per month for I am sure it would cost them more than that to upgrade a single line, let alone whole cities

injuneer
21-02-2008, 13:18
The telephone switches (exchanges)are not the problem, they are all capable of providing Caller display, in fact in a lot of areas the switches are the same manufacture as BT's. It's the multiplex equipment in the cabinets that needs upgrading = Loadsamoney, as stated it's mainly ex-cwc areas that don't work.

uknutz
08-03-2008, 14:39
Well for years its been "coming soon...." to Dover, Kent (ex C&W).

Well its here! Just had it switched on this morning and its working fine.

Guy T
10-03-2008, 20:29
Well for years its been "coming soon...." to Dover, Kent (ex C&W).

Well its here! Just had it switched on this morning and its working fine.

Well that contradicts all the "too expensive" & "never going to happen" type comments posted on the many threads on this subject
Is there an update programme then ?
Is this due to the BT takeover ?

Kellargh
07-04-2008, 16:11
For all of those asking for a list of areas where you cant get it, I'll try and get one on here shortly.

Felim_Doyle
02-05-2008, 08:55
For all of those asking for a list of areas where you cant get it, I'll try and get one on here shortly.
That would be great. There have been all sorts of upgrades for Broadband in Aylesbury since I last dropped in here, most recently a speed increase and a merger of billing systems. So it's possible some changes have been made to the exchange/multiplexes too which, in conjunction with the billing system changes, might facilitate Caller Id. which I've had enabled on my line for years, it's just that the central equipment hasn't supported it so far.

dmeldrum
19-05-2008, 20:41
Just called 150 again in the hope that our area (SE9) had been upgraded, but no such luck.

Felim_Doyle
04-07-2008, 07:17
I've had some correspondence this week about changes to Call Waiting which are due to happen tomorrow (5th July) with changes to other telephone services expected soon. Another letter also came this week promoting the use of texting which requires the Caller Id. service, the implication being that this was now available on all Virgin Media telephone lines.

Can anyone confirm this before I go out and buy a set of text enabled cordless 'phones? Also, any recommendations for VM compatible Caller Id. units?

dave_dph
04-07-2008, 17:18
I've had some correspondence this week about changes to Call Waiting which are due to happen tomorrow (5th July) with changes to other telephone services expected soon.

Please tell, what's happening with Call Waiting?

All ex-Telewest areas have Caller ID, some ex-NTL areas do not. If Caller ID is available in your area then most if not all current equipment should be compatible. If you are on a System X switch then all older equipment (designed to work on BT) will work, if you are on a DMS switch then some of the older (BT branded kit & some others) will not work.

Felim_Doyle
04-07-2008, 18:11
Please tell, what's happening with Call Waiting?

All ex-Telewest areas have Caller ID, some ex-NTL areas do not. If Caller ID is available in your area then most if not all current equipment should be compatible. If you are on a System X switch then all older equipment (designed to work on BT) will work, if you are on a DMS switch then some of the older (BT branded kit & some others) will not work.
I haven't had time to compare the old and new intructions for Call Waiting but, if you're quick, both are available for download at http://www.virginmedia.com/help/telephone/ along with a brief summary of how to determine if you have been 'upgraded' yet.

I'm on a Nortel DMS here in Aylesbury (ex-NTL, ex-CWC, ex-Bell Cablemedia) which is why the Caller Id. facility, although promised for years, has not worked so far. We live in hope that I may find a compatible 'phone now which will not only enable Caller Id. but also text messaging.

dave_dph
04-07-2008, 18:38
I'm on a Nortel DMS here in Aylesbury (ex-NTL, ex-CWC, ex-Bell Cablemedia) which is why the Caller Id. facility, although promised for years, has not worked so far. We live in hope that I may find a compatible 'phone now which will not only enable Caller Id. but also text messaging.

If Caller ID isn't available in your area then it looks like that will remain to be the case. Look at the small print at the bottom of page 21, it states:

*Please note Call Display is not available in some parts of the network.

Even if you buy a Caller ID phone it will not display incoming numbers unless the exchange can provide the service. Without Caller ID service you won't get text message to display on the handset, they will be received as a spoken message.

Guy T
02-09-2008, 19:31

Did you ever get the list ?

Are any more area's being upgraded - not much seems to be happening on this front or the previously reported VOIP facilities

mw95
07-10-2008, 10:28
Does anyone know if CV21/01788 (ex NTL) has Caller ID available? I ordered it a few days ago, being told it will be active in 24 hours. Still seems not to be working, though, so thought I'd ask here before phoning them back.

I have a phone that should work - any experience of that on VM? It's the Sagem DC85c, dual handset (PDf datasheet at http://www.sagem.com/support/site/documentation/leaf_D85C_2006.pdf)

Thanks

weesteev
10-10-2008, 16:19
I cant tell you when areas are being upgraded but heres a list of phone switch areas that cannot get Caller ID... (all ex-C&W)

Ashford, Barnet, Bexleyheath, Bournemouth, Brighton, Bromley, Derby, Greenford, Hammersmith, Hersham, Hither Green, Ilford, Lewisham, Norwich, Papworth, Park Street, Peterborourgh, Portsmouth, Southmapton, Stoke, Waltham Park, Warrington, Watford, Wirral, Wythenshawe.

I dont believe the BT deal will change how quickly caller ID is rolled out, the upgrades are to be done in the street side cabinets and not on the phone switch themselves. Im not aware that the BT swotch management deal covers street furniture or anything beyond the telephone switch. If I get anymore info then i will be sure to let you guys know.

Felim_Doyle
11-10-2008, 18:36
Rats! I think Aylesbury counts as Watford so still no Caller Id. for me.

Sorry, maybe I missed a meeting. What's this switch management deal with BT?

m419
16-10-2008, 12:23
I've had some correspondence this week about changes to Call Waiting which are due to happen tomorrow (5th July) with changes to other telephone services expected soon. Another letter also came this week promoting the use of texting which requires the Caller Id. service, the implication being that this was now available on all Virgin Media telephone lines.

Can anyone confirm this before I go out and buy a set of text enabled cordless 'phones? Also, any recommendations for VM compatible Caller Id. units?

Yes! Text messaging is available via Virgin Phonelines, Number Display(Caller Display) needs to be added, once its been added to your line send a test message saying 'Register' to 00000 and you will recieve a reply stating text messaging is now fully active.

mw95
16-10-2008, 15:58
Does anyone know if CV21/01788 (ex NTL) has Caller ID available? I ordered it a few days ago, being told it will be active in 24 hours. Still seems not to be working, though...

Well, I finally got around to phoning back and found out what the problem was. The woman I spoke to first time around had not in fact switched Caller ID on even though she said she was doing so as we spoke.

The lady who I spoke to yesterday was very helpful :shocked: and switched it on there and then - it worked straight away, not with an up-to-24 hour wait as I was also told on the first call!

nellystew
16-10-2008, 17:59
Does anyone know if it's availiable in the Chelmsford CM1 area?

jellybaby
16-10-2008, 18:06
I cant tell you when areas are being upgraded but heres a list of phone switch areas that cannot get Caller ID... (all ex-C&W)

Ashford, Barnet, Bexleyheath, Bournemouth, Brighton, Bromley, Derby, Greenford, Hammersmith, Hersham, Hither Green, Ilford, Lewisham, Norwich, Papworth, Park Street, Peterborourgh, Portsmouth, Southmapton, Stoke, Waltham Park, Warrington, Watford, Wirral, Wythenshawe.

I dont believe the BT deal will change how quickly caller ID is rolled out, the upgrades are to be done in the street side cabinets and not on the phone switch themselves. Im not aware that the BT swotch management deal covers street furniture or anything beyond the telephone switch. If I get anymore info then i will be sure to let you guys know.

Peterborough does have Caller ID. I've had it over a year now :)

Felim_Doyle
28-10-2008, 08:58
Rats! I think Aylesbury counts as Watford so still no Caller Id. for me.Well I called VM yesterday and they said that CLI (Caller Id.) is available in my area (Aylesbury/Watford) so I've had it activated (again) for £1.75 per month. They say that it can take 24 hours to come into effect but with three hours to go there's still nothing. Of course I may not have a compatible 'phone and stand-alone caller id. unit but both work fine on our BT line.

Any suggestions? Perhaps I'll send myself a text message.

m419
28-10-2008, 12:22
Send a text saying 'register' to 00000 and if you recieve it as a text then its working.

By the way it comes on 24 hours after on the dot not 3 hours earlier!

saabmania2
14-12-2008, 08:16
anyone know if caller display works in the brighton area yet??:)

Guy T
17-12-2008, 17:49
I did my 6 monthly check yesterday via the upgrade your services page on the website and was stunned to have my order for Caller display accepted - even more stunned to receive an email this morning at 07:30 saying it had been activated.
Totally unsurpised though when I called CS tonight to ask why it wasn't working to be told it's not available !!!! - the sales team had however managed to get it onto the billing system despite there being no chance of receiving the service.
Does anyone know when the DB1 switch is being upgraded to support CLID ??

mykiemike
23-12-2008, 06:45
Anyone know if its available in the PO12 Gosport area???

AlabasterLyn
15-01-2009, 10:10
Well I called VM yesterday and they said that CLI (Caller Id.) is available in my area (Aylesbury/Watford) so I've had it activated (again) for £1.75 per month. They say that it can take 24 hours to come into effect but with three hours to go there's still nothing. Of course I may not have a compatible 'phone and stand-alone caller id. unit but both work fine on our BT line.

Any suggestions? Perhaps I'll send myself a text message.

I just phoned CS as I am in Watford and have been waiting for years for Caller ID. I was told, yet again, it is not available here. Would be interested to see if yours does work though.

LaupSavea
10-01-2011, 10:38
I have just this morning spoken to customer services about CLI for KT17 area - in addition to telling me it still wasn't available they also told me that Virgin was looking to do away with CLI altogether so I was unlikely to get it ever.

Felim_Doyle
15-01-2011, 16:28
Still, it seems a bizarre thing to say that they may be doing away with CLI!!!

I was surprised to find out that my brother's phone line with UPC/Chorus/NTL in Dublin comes down the coax along with the TV and Broadband signals. I'm not talking about the Siamese twin cable used by VM with coax and four-pair telephone cable joined together but an actual digital signal on the coax that goes through a converter box which you plug your analogue lines into. That technology may do away with traditional exchange equipment altogether at some point although I suspect that it's a hybrid set-up at the moment.