PDA

View Full Version : SkyHD dates getting bumped already

Paulie
18-05-2006, 16:56
It seems like a lot of people are having their install dates bumped back due to a lack of boxes. Just been over at avforums and they aren`t a happy bunch. Check out the thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344364

orangebird
19-05-2006, 10:18
It seems like a lot of people are having their install dates bumped back due to a lack of boxes. Just been over at avforums and they aren`t a happy bunch. Check out the thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344364

Blimey Paulie, you want to watch that you don't get banned for posting anything less than favourable about Sky. I suggest you redo this post, saying how fab Sky are, whilst pointing out all the bad bits about ntl, and watch your rep go through the roof! ;) :rolleyes:

Chris
19-05-2006, 10:31
Blimey Paulie, you want to watch that you don't get banned for posting anything less than favourable about Sky. I suggest you redo this post, saying how fab Sky are, whilst pointing out all the bad bits about ntl, and watch your rep go through the roof! ;) :rolleyes:

You are a bad, bad bird. Get back in your cage. :p:

orangebird
19-05-2006, 10:44
You are a bad, bad bird. Get back in your cage. :p:

It's my birthday, the only day I'm allowed out of my cage!!! :D

Paulie
19-05-2006, 18:38
Well happy Birdday to ya ;)

P.S This seems to have caused quite a stir amongst the following now.

TheBlueRaja
19-05-2006, 20:45
Its a rip off anyway - how anyone can justify £1000 plus for telly per year is beyond me.

And all for 9, yes nine, channels in glorious Hi-Def.

Millay
19-05-2006, 20:51
£1000 + per year... whered you get those figures from?

Im pleased i didnt spend out the £300 on a box for the world cup now, wait till they get cheaper me thinks..

TheBlueRaja
19-05-2006, 20:54
300 quid for the box

Then to get all the HD channels your looking at 52 quid a month (624 quid) add on top of that your Telly Licence and voila - 1000 plus for HD telly.

Isnt that a great deal?

jellybaby
22-05-2006, 19:39
Bit more info released

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5003728.stm

Neil
22-05-2006, 22:09
300 quid for the box

Then to get all the HD channels your looking at 52 quid a month (624 quid) add on top of that your Telly Licence and voila - 1000 plus for HD telly.

Isnt that a great deal?

It's not like it's obligatory or anything.

You pays your money, you takes your choice.

No one is holding a gun to your head.

New technology costs, always has done & always will do. :shrug:

TheBlueRaja
22-05-2006, 22:28
All im saying is that its a LOT of money for 9 channels and apparently Sky One HD is worse than Sky One SD somehow and there is grainyness to the picture on BBC HD.

The Nat Geo channel is pretty good though they say.

All im saying is that its overpriced, immature technology, and IMO you would eb daft to spend that amount of money for the channels that are currently on offer.

ESPECIALLY if your install date is after the world cup.

Paulie
22-05-2006, 23:10
Reading about the graininess on the av forums, it seems a lot of that has to do with certain tv`s and the contrast.

There`s quite a lot of info there now, one of the main concerns looks like the 1080i, 720p or auto settings. Auto it seems, screws up a bit on the chanel hopping.

I`m still wondering if this first batch of boxes is flawed, and has been pushed out to save face on the releaase date. A lot of software downloads and dead boxes have been reported today.

Neil
23-05-2006, 07:28
All im saying is that its a LOT of money for 9 channels and apparently Sky One HD is worse than Sky One SD somehow and there is grainyness to the picture on BBC HD.

All im saying is that its overpriced, immature technology, and IMO you would eb daft to spend that amount of money for the channels that are currently on offer.

ESPECIALLY if your install date is after the world cup.

I do hear you m8, & I do kinda agree with what you are saying, but it's your opinion that it's overpriced etc-one man's salt etc.

Any product is only 'worth' what someone is willing to pay, & if people are willing to pay £300 for Sky's HD Service, then so be it....

Chris
23-05-2006, 14:12

On the contrary ... this is the only channel I have seen demonstrated in-store (once in Dixons and once in John Lewis) and on both occasions, there were artefacts clearly visible in the picture. Nice, hi-res artefacts they were too. I had the impression that it was only possible to see them because the picture was in HD. I wasn't very impressed.

I fear that, as with DAB, the broadcasters are going to be stingy with the bandwidth in order to go for quantity over quality. I don't own a DAB set and I don't see myself having a HD telly for many years to come.

Neil
23-05-2006, 14:34
On the contrary ... this is the only channel I have seen demonstrated in-store (once in Dixons and once in John Lewis) and on both occasions, there were artefacts clearly visible in the picture. Nice, hi-res artefacts they were too. I had the impression that it was only possible to see them because the picture was in HD. I wasn't very impressed.

Are you sure it was a live HD feed m8?

I've seen those clips, & invariably all they are are DVDs connected to an HD Ready TV by S-Video or Scart. :erm:

Chris
23-05-2006, 15:55
Are you sure it was a live HD feed m8?

I've seen those clips, & invariably all they are are DVDs connected to an HD Ready TV by S-Video or Scart. :erm:

well, I didn't ask ... I assumed the pictures were the genuine article seeing as they were being used to sell HD TVs. TBH I'll be relieved if they weren't really HD, I was quite disappointed!

Neil
23-05-2006, 15:57
well, I didn't ask ... I assumed the pictures were the genuine article seeing as they were being used to sell HD TVs. TBH I'll be relieved if they weren't really HD, I was quite disappointed!

They 99.9% won't have been a true HD feed m8.

Chris
23-05-2006, 16:05
They 99.9% won't have been a true HD feed m8.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, after all your average TV showroom still hasn't a clue how to set its stock to display correctly in 16:9 or 4:3. I imagine the concept of using HD pictures to show off a HD telly is quite alien to them.

Druchii
23-05-2006, 17:32
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, after all your average TV showroom still hasn't a clue how to set its stock to display correctly in 16:9 or 4:3. I imagine the concept of using HD pictures to show off a HD telly is quite alien to them. Dixons Doncaster seem to have managed it. They look absolutely smashing, and for 7k they should... Huge screen, Hi-Def ready etc...

TheBlueRaja
23-05-2006, 17:50
I do hear you m8, & I do kinda agree with what you are saying, but it's your opinion that it's overpriced etc-one man's salt etc.

Any product is only 'worth' what someone is willing to pay, & if people are willing to pay £300 for Sky's HD Service, then so be it....

I did say IMO (In my Opinion) in all fairness and yup i agree with your point but IMO they are daft and have too much money. :D

I have seen a few HD demo's when i bought my HD telly recently (from John Lewis) most are just HD content played from a PC. However i dont recall seeing any National Geo or Discovery HD stuff on them, so it might have been an HD feed.

In fact IIRC in John Lewis all they had was over the air freeview running in the Glasgow store, Currys at least had the PC hooked up.

Curry's also had exactly the same feed split to three different HD tellies (a Pioneer, Panasonic and a Samsung) which was great for comparing.

The Panasonic was best incidentally, again IMO.

Im getting to feel like i need a standard disclaimer in my sig.