PDA

View Full Version : NewsHosting

Phenz
18-05-2006, 00:18
Hi, i just started using newsgroups for the first time ever today and i'm a little confused about the speeds i'm getting.

using newshosting.com and newsbin i've established 8 connections and i am downloading fairly fast, but its not maxing out my connection.

I thought it was a little strange for 8 connections not to deliver more than 10Mbit. Earlier today i was getting speeds of around 600KBs and tonight it jumped to around the 1.06MBs mark.

Is it NTL or NewsHostings which is limiting my downloads? cause i still have 1Mbit bandwidth to spare when newhosting seems to be topped out.

Using port 9000 and 8 connections.

?

Druchii
18-05-2006, 01:05
No, you don't have a full 1Mb/s spare at all... You're maxing out at 1.06Mbytes a second there fine, no problems at all.

Phenz
18-05-2006, 01:19
but when i monitor my speed on DU supercontroller i can download something off apples website and then it maxes out my bandwidth.

it was jumpin from a patchy 1.06MBs to a solid 1.22MBs

guess its just to do with the time of day/night

Chrysalis
18-05-2006, 04:32
probably contention en route, but I wouldnt worry 1.06 is fairly respectable speed.

Rik
18-05-2006, 09:55
Hi, i just started using newsgroups for the first time ever today and i'm a little confused about the speeds i'm getting.

using newshosting.com and newsbin i've established 8 connections and i am downloading fairly fast, but its not maxing out my connection.

I thought it was a little strange for 8 connections not to deliver more than 10Mbit. Earlier today i was getting speeds of around 600KBs and tonight it jumped to around the 1.06MBs mark.

Is it NTL or NewsHostings which is limiting my downloads? cause i still have 1Mbit bandwidth to spare when newhosting seems to be topped out.

Using port 9000 and 8 connections.

?

I used to subscribe to Newshosting, but towards the end my speeds werent up to scratch really, sometimes i got 1200kB/s but most of the time I was encountering 700kB/s, im on 10Meg.

I ditched Newshosting and subscribed to Giganews and have never looked back, retention wipes the floor with Newshosting, and the speeds well they are amazing, I can get 1207kB/s with just 4 connections.

If you dont mind shelling out an extra $10 a month then I recommend Giganews, they are the best there is.

And thats fact.!

Phenz
18-05-2006, 11:47
At the moment i'm in a debaucle with bulldog as to whether their going to come and install my 16MBit line, if it goes ahead i think next month i'll be changing to GigaNews. 70 days with 10 connections? should be the bomb.

It's funny, when i was on 2Mbit i was looking everywhere on p2p for something to max out my connection. i was happy with anything over 200KBs, now i'm on 10Mbit i not happy with anything less than 1000KBs.

James Henry
18-05-2006, 23:13
It's funny, when i was on 2Mbit i was looking everywhere on p2p for something to max out my connection. i was happy with anything over 200KBs, now i'm on 10Mbit i not happy with anything less than 1000KBs.
Should mention dude there's no guarantee of speed at all, and that there is every chance of your connection not being able to reach 1000kB/s from time to time. It's just what happens when connections get faster I'm afraid, the %age of maximum performance you can expect as an average will go down.

If you're not going to be happy with anything less than 10000kB/s when ntl upgrade to 100Mbit you will be pretty disappointed. Likewise you could be very disappointed with Bulldog if your line can't support 16Mbit. Most can't.

P2P as you've found is a waste of space for maxing connections, the old client server way of doing things is always the best and for your warez, pron and moviez Usenet is the way to go for those without access to private servers.

Vegeta
24-06-2006, 17:25
I have to use 40 connections from the Newshosting server to get speeds of around 1180 KB/s :td:

Headers download at around 100 KB/s or less but I have an account at Newzbin anyway.

Richy99
30-06-2006, 11:05
I have to use 40 connections from the Newshosting server to get speeds of around 1180 KB/s :td:

Headers download at around 100 KB/s or less but I have an account at Newzbin anyway.

you know that neshosting only allow 8 connections right adn your breakin their terms

change your port number from 119

Vegeta
01-07-2006, 15:37
you know that neshosting only allow 8 connections right adn your breakin their terms

change your port number from 119

Yeah, figured out the port problem after firing off an email to their tech support. They didn't have a go at me for using 40 connections, they just told me to try another port and around 10 connections.

I'm now using 15 connections through port 9000 and get 1200 KB/sec 95% of the time.