PDA

View Full Version : new house installation help

caledfwlch
17-05-2006, 12:45
just moved into a new house, and hopefully an NTL engineer will be coming around in a week (busy apparantly).

The question is, the old address we are transferring NTL from was a 1 bedroomed flat, with the PC and TV in the front room, both connected via Set Top Box. What is worrying me is, in the new house, the PC room is on the third floor!! So will the engineer be able to run an ethernet cable from the STB back outside and up the wall to the PC room, or will they be able to bring a cable modem, and connect that to the top floor and run internet through that rather than the STB? more importantly, if there is an easy solution using a cable modem do I need to ring back and ask for one to be sent?

We have the TV/Phone/Broadband package so not sure if we are restricted to the STB box etc. be grateful for any help :D

lisauk
17-05-2006, 13:22
I use a wireless router to connect my computers to broadband.

Here the router http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002LHXB6/qid=1147868470/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl/026-5116733-4158815

very simple to setup.

I will have the telephone downloads, and I will also have the modem downloads with the wireless router. I will then have a wireless card in my desktop and laptop.

I say will because if you read my post today the engineers came out last week but could not install me due to no T in the path, hope you will not be caught out the same as I was.

Hope this helps.

Lisa

caledfwlch
17-05-2006, 13:26
Thanks,
im just after a temporary solution till I can afford a wireless router and card. new floor and painting in the house had financial priority :erm: much preffer my internet instead though hehe

Aragorn
17-05-2006, 13:52
If you don't mind a second NT cable going up the ouside wall, they should be able to install a cable modem upstairs. Can't think of any reason NTL would object. I would make sure that installations know you want this before hand.

caledfwlch
17-05-2006, 15:22
Thanks, I'll give them a call :D